Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Wanted: Adobe Camera Profiles

If you created a camera profile for a Pentax DSLR using the Adobe Camera Profiles and DNG Profile Editor or plan to do so in the future, please consider sharing the profile with the Pentaxforums user community.

Adam will accept your profiles via a PM and will find a way to make them available to those interested (perhaps through the camera review section?).

Camera profiles can be used in PS (Photoshop) and LR (Lightroom, starting with the upcoming final LR3 version).

Last edited by Class A; 05-23-2010 at 04:15 PM.
06-09-2010, 04:03 AM   #2

Hi there,

I'm new in using Lightroom and I was looking for my Pentax K100D Super camera profile but they dont have it on Adobe website (they start from K10D only if I remember).

Any chance somebody has something similar?
06-12-2010, 04:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If you created a camera profile for a Pentax DSLR using the Adobe Camera Profiles and DNG Profile Editor or plan to do so in the future, please consider sharing the profile with the Pentaxforums user community.

Adam will accept your profiles via a PM and will find a way to make them available to those interested (perhaps through the camera review section?).

Camera profiles can be used in PS (Photoshop) and LR (Lightroom, starting with the upcoming final LR3 version).
ERRATUM: In the following, I go to talk about the new ACR lens profiles, not the camera profiles. Sorry for the confusion.
--

I thought about this as well.

However, I see several problems and opportunities with ACR lens profiles:
  1. ACR camera profiles are normally uploaded to and installed from the Adobe repository. I've been told you browse and install ACR profiles from within PS5 and LR3. Not outside the programs.
  2. Due to the process involved in creating an ACR profile, there will be excellent and mediocre profiles. A profile isn't necessarily useful. DxO pointed out (for a reason of course) how the ACR process can lead to bad profiles. An evaluation process is required and indeed, this is where this forum and this sticky thread can help.

Not to provide a profile but to provide pointers to good ones.
  3. Good ACR profiles can be sold. This could liberate some energy to produce good profiles. $0.99 seems to be a fair price for a good profile.

But this only works out if profiles are announced prior to creation (to avoid the duplicate work) and if evaluation helps identifying the profiles which are worth the dollar.
  4. What I really suggest is a mini site (being part of pentaxforums.com or an independent effort by any member) to collect profiles and offer them for download, very much like the Apple AppStore, a Pentax ProfileStore or more generally, a Camera ProfileStore.
  5. Depending on the feedback about this idea, it may happen or not

Last edited by falconeye; 06-12-2010 at 04:16 AM.
06-12-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
ERRATUM: In the following, I go to talk about the new ACR lens profiles, not the camera profiles. Sorry for the confusion.
You may want to move your post to the respective Lens Profile collection thread.

I've been told you browse and install ACR profiles from within PS5 and LR3. Not outside the programs.
I understand you can create your own profiles and then move tjhem into the right spot so that PS/LR can see and use it.
[*]Due to the process involved in creating an ACR profile, there will be excellent and mediocre profiles.
Sure. However, first I'd be happy about any K100D profile that I see as an improvement over the standard ACR profile, even if it is not an optimal one. Second, I trust a natural selection will occur and the best profiles will naturally bubble up at the top position. Granted, some lightweight support for such a natural selection process will be necessary.

An evaluation process is required and indeed, this is where this forum and this sticky thread can help.
Once we have at least one profile, we can start evaluating it.

I fully see your points about being professional about camera profiles but at this stage all this would be overkill, wouldn't it? Hopefully, once PS CS5 and LR 3 have been out a bit longer and people had a chance to create camera/lens profiles, our respective threads will become more popular.

Currently, I'd say let's worry about managing multiple profiles when we get that problem. It may very well turn out to be the case that few will bother to create and/or share their own profiles in which case any finely engineered profile evaluation/selection/management process/infrastructure will have been created in vain.

[*]What I really suggest is a mini site (being part of pentaxforums.com or an independent effort by any member) to collect profiles and offer them for download, very much like the Apple AppStore, a Pentax ProfileStore or more generally, a Camera ProfileStore.
I'm not not against such an idea, not at all, but we may never develop the critical mass to warrant the creation of such a "store".

I'm really happy that Adam offered to make the two "profile threads" sticky and hope something will develop from this. Too early to make an IPO of shares for the online store yet though, isn't it?

06-15-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thread unstuck. If a repository of profiles does become feasible, please place them in a user-maintained thread in the articles section.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-22-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hey folks, I understand its early days but the corresponding Adobe Lens Profiles thread already shows some activity.

Anyone has a K100D profile?

Or a GretagMacbeth ColorChecker card they'd be happy to lend to me? I'd produce a profile then which I'm sure will work for the K110D and K100Dsuper just as well.