Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gkamieneski Quote
I would agree with the card reader if we were talking about a PC (although my card reader is already out of date and only handles SD). Here, though we are talking of connecting to the PS3 wich can run the photos to a HDTV. It is supposed to plug in through one of 2 USB ports on the front. This is the slim PS3 and I understand the older models had a card reader.
A USB card reader is cheap, faster than the USB cable of nearly any camera, and will work with the PS3. Plus it won't drain your camera's batteries while you use it, unlike using USB to the camera.

I would say that direct connection of a K-x to a PS3 is pretty rare and not many people (if any) have tried it.

Since the camera can apparently be changed between PTP mode and mass storage mode, most likely you want it in mass storage mode. Not sure whether the PS3 can talk to PTP devices.

I can't really provide much more info since I've never tried to directly read images from my K20D on my PS3 (I shoot RAW so it's simply not possible.) I have had good results sticking the SDHC card from my Canon HF100 into my USB 2.0 card reader and playing the videos with the PS3.

05-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
I've had good luck with card reader

PS/3, SDHC card reader, which costs 5 bucks. Works great for stills and video (triangle button opens up the directory under "photos". After a trip, my favorite way to view photos is viewing pictures on my 1080p 42 inch TV screen.

I seem to remember trying once connecting the K-x directly to the USB input, and it didn't work.
05-25-2010, 06:43 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks, all.

One reason that I have been reluctant to go with the card reader rather than the USB cable direct from camera, is because of the wear and tear of removing and inserting the SDHC in the camera. The spring in the camera for instance.
05-28-2010, 08:21 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gkamieneski Quote
Thanks, all.

One reason that I have been reluctant to go with the card reader rather than the USB cable direct from camera, is because of the wear and tear of removing and inserting the SDHC in the camera. The spring in the camera for instance.
I don't know about the K-x, but with the K10/K20, I started getting dead pixels in the sensor LONG before any signs of problems with the SDHC slots.

To make it clearer: Both my K10D and K20D have developed a few dead pixels on their sensors over the years, but the SDHC slots are still working perfectly.

05-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks. Looks like the card reader is the way to go (and Playstation 3 is at fault here anyway).

I just worry about those little springs that cause the detente to let you know the card is installed. I appreciate that functionality and dislike card slots that are a tug of war to remove the card.