Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 12:52 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
K7 SD-slot

I guess most of you K7-owners struggle with getting the SD-card from the SD-slot. Well I don’t know if anyone come up with this solution yet, but here is it anyway; I put some thin tape (for electric wires) put the top side of the SD-card. It still fits within the weather-sealed compartment and is makes it much easier to get the card out of the slot. Hope this helps.

Greetings, Daan

05-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've never had the least difficulty getting the SD card out of my K-7, and I have large hands (I'm over six feet tall). For those folks who do find it difficult, this is a simple, elegant solution, though.

One note of caution - be careful to trim the tape down so that it can't reach to interfere with the weather sealing when the card door is closing. If the tape scratches or gets under the weather sealing, it's conceivable that moisture might make its way into your K-7.
05-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no problem popping out the card either. A quick stab on it and then just pluck it out with my fingernails. But, yes, that is a good mod.

Cheers, Mike..

Might not be so good where I live, summers get pretty hot down here. Electrical tape glue tends to turn messy in elevated temperatures.
05-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I cant believe that it is so hard for so many people to use the spring assisted mechanism to release the card.

Push the card in, pull your finger away and let it snap out. Try it at home because the spring is really forcefull and the card can get a free flight from it.

In the german forums, we also have this kind of threads every month.

p.s.: In most Laptop card readers, it is the same procedure to get the dummie card out...

05-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by haifisch18 Quote
I cant believe that it is so hard for so many people to use the spring assisted mechanism to release the card.

Push the card in, pull your finger away and let it snap out. Try it at home because the spring is really forcefull and the card can get a free flight from it.
Doesn't work on mine. Little bugger (K7) wants to hold on to the card like you're not going to return it at some stage!
05-24-2010, 02:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Same for me : my K7 just sticks to my SD card like a bulldog to a mailman...

Fun story : first time I took a card from my wife's Kx using the same let-it-spring-as-much-as-possible technic, the card just flew across the room and I spent a good five minutes to locate it...
05-24-2010, 03:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I don't think it is so much a matter of figuring out how to use the spring mechanism, are you trying to imply that we're all idiots? (I do hope I'm reading that with a tone other than intended, and I apologize. Otherwise that is just F'n rude!)

It is a matter that the spring mechanism only pops the card up, maybe less than 1/8 of an inch. I have to scrape at the ridge in the end of the card with my fingernail to get it up enough to grab.
But this is in fact a real problem.

Maybe the mechanism on some K7s is faulty or perhaps some are more powerful, but I almost dreaded using my K7 just for the fact that I may need to swap cards on some assignments.

I have come to the same solution though. Works really well.
Just a note that regular Scotch tape may tear easily after a few uses. Packing tape or other tougher tape will work better. :-)

05-24-2010, 03:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The SD card slot is snug when new. With frequent use, the SD card slot will progressively loosen up. Minor issue imo.
05-24-2010, 03:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Just wondering how long it took for your's to loosen up? That would be welcome news.

Mine is about six months old with the card removed, sometimes as much as 20-30 times a day (although really mostly used this way only on certain events). In reality I would say I've inserted/removed cards about 200-300 times this year so far.

Sadly, when I'm working and need to swap cards every few minutes so that clients can see their images and I can move onto the next, fumbling around like a buffoon trying to get the card out is not only embarrassing but expensive. (DAMN Pentax for no tethering!! But gotta love the latest Eye-Fi!)

I do hope the mechanism will loosen up, but I tend to doubt it. I just sent my K7 in for repair. I think I'll see if they can find a problem and do something about it.
05-24-2010, 03:46 AM   #10

Excellent solution. Going to rep up the OP.

For those of you without this problem, it certainly is a manufacturing issue. Promise, we're not all crazy. I have noticed that it does get better with more use, however, the first time I tried to get the card out, I was panicked because the card did NOT want to come out with any conventional sort of removal method. It was really stuck to the point of gently pushing it in multiple times wouldn't cause the spring to raise the card. When the card finally did raise up, there was something mechanical still holding on to the card. The solution was to rock the card edge to edge-wise and forcefully pull it out. In the extraction process, the SD card became deformed a little, but snapped back together fine once removed.

Being that it was a K-7 limited silver edition imported from Japan, it wasn't like I was about to send it back. But I did discover that certain SD cards ejected better. Now, it's just a minor issue - having loosened up substantially. Although certain cards do require a little more "English" (force) to remove.

Glad some of you haven't experienced this issue, but it's a real issue for some of us, especially initial users. Hope this helps you understand complaints going forward.
05-24-2010, 04:10 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I took one of my cards and put it in back wards and pushed really hard and it really loosened up the slot. I think that some are tighter than others. When I first got my K7, it would hardly pop the card up at all. After loosening it up, it popped it up quite nicely.
05-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Never had any such problems with mine - from day one, the card ejected by around half its length when pressed in.
05-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This should be copied into the DIY section of our articles system. Would that be ok by you?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I took one of my cards and put it in back wards and pushed really hard and it really loosened up the slot. I think that some are tighter than others. When I first got my K7, it would hardly pop the card up at all. After loosening it up, it popped it up quite nicely.
did you copy this from my article? I guess you took my advice about it.

although you really dont have to push it real hard. what happens is that when you insert the SD card backwards, it will loosen up the internal tight frame mechanism that is hugging the card. the backside of the SD card is thicker than the front pin area. actually, I did this by accident and just noticed that the slot had become loose.
05-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Same for me : my K7 just sticks to my SD card like a bulldog to a mailman...

Fun story : first time I took a card from my wife's Kx using the same let-it-spring-as-much-as-possible technic, the card just flew across the room and I spent a good five minutes to locate it...
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
I don't think it is so much a matter of figuring out how to use the spring mechanism, are you trying to imply that we're all idiots? (I do hope I'm reading that with a tone other than intended, and I apologize. Otherwise that is just F'n rude!)
@ dlacouture: The same flying cards in my K7. From the moment i bought it.

@ amoringello: I dont want to say that you are all idiots!!! I just cant believe that it is necessary to open a new thread every month. Even if you have found a new solution, you can post it in the old thread. This wouldnt mess the search ressults with "thousands" of hits if some newbies would (surprisingly) use the search.

I have the feeling there is a locking mechanism which grabs the card in the slot.
If you push the card in, the release is active and you have to flip the card out. If you let it come out slowly, it will get stuck in the lock again.

If my tone reads rude, i have to apologize. I had seen some real shit on operations the day before and one of the firefighters under my command in my platoon was doing some of this shit...