Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
The K7 live view sound check

This one is for all the K7 owners out there. This is the case, when my K7 is in live view mode it makes some rather audible buzzing sound. Now this can mean two things, one "this is perfectly normal" or two "this really disturbing".

So here is my question: “Could you (as K7 owner) listen closely to your K7 body while it’s in live view mode and please tell me what you hear?”

My guess is that the mirror is held up during live view using an electromagnet; this would explain the buzzing noise, but I’m not sure so that’s why I’m asking.

Could anyone explain what the buzzing sound is?

Thanks for checking,

Greetings,

Daan

05-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #2

Yeah.. I definetly hear the same buzz... I have wondered before what that is and your guess as a mirror lock-up electromagnet seems quite reasonable

And yes it's not the shake reduction noise, because this is hearable even when SR is turned off.

-J
05-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaitas Quote
Yeah.. I definetly hear the same buzz... I have wondered before what that is and your guess as a mirror lock-up electromagnet seems quite reasonable

And yes it's not the shake reduction noise, because this is hearable even when SR is turned off.

-J
Shake reduction is always active, even when it's turned "off", it's just not working to cancel camera motion. When SR is disabled, the system still has to operate, so that the sensor can be held in the centered position. If SR was actually disabled entirely, the sensor would move around freely as the camera was tilted or shaken.

Most likely what you're hearing is the SR system.
05-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
Do any of you know how is the mirror held up in the K7?

By the way, a friend of my owns a 7D, and there is no sound at all when it’s in live mode. So if the mirror of the K7 works in a similar way as the 7D, I guess the noise (when the mirror is up) must be coming from the SR function (whether it’s on or off).

05-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daan Quote
Do any of you know how is the mirror held up in the K7?

By the way, a friend of my owns a 7D, and there is no sound at all when it’s in live mode. So if the mirror of the K7 works in a similar way as the 7D, I guess the noise (when the mirror is up) must be coming from the SR function (whether it’s on or off).
Yup, Canon doesn't have in-body SR, so you've just given yourself another data point confirming the noise you're hearing is almost certainly from the SR system.
05-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Shake reduction is always active, even when it's turned "off", it's just not working to cancel camera motion. When SR is disabled, the system still has to operate, so that the sensor can be held in the centered position. If SR was actually disabled entirely, the sensor would move around freely as the camera was tilted or shaken.

Most likely what you're hearing is the SR system.
Thanks for the info, now that i think about it, this sounds so logical that I feel ashamed to have thought otherwise
05-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaitas Quote
Thanks for the info, now that i think about it, this sounds so logical that I feel ashamed to have thought otherwise
No need for shame, it's one of those things that just doesn't occur. First time I read it myself, I had a eureka moment too. ;-)

05-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't hear anything when in Live View mode.
05-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I don't hear anything when in Live View mode.
You hear no buzzing sound when the mirror is up (whether in live-view or during a long exposure)?.
05-28-2010, 02:23 AM   #10

I hear the buzzing noise, so your not alone. Don't feel ashamed for asking such questions, i asked similar question about when camera was shut down completely and i could feel the SR sensor moving inside, i initially thought it was a loose part inside the camera body. As soon as i power up the body it went, so i had a big relief and carried on shooting. I do now try and shoot mainly with SR off, and only select it when i need to gain that extra f stop. Have you tried turning SR off and then Live View? Maybe then the sound will go....i'll try that tonight!
05-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

SR system

Could anyone explain what the buzzing sound is?

Greetings,

Daan
Yes it is the Shake reduction system. This sound is also unfortunately picked up by the internal mic. during video. So an external mic. isolated from the camera is much better as you would expect.

You can also hear the sound on a long exposure.
05-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You hear no buzzing sound when the mirror is up (whether in live-view or during a long exposure)?.
Nope. Guess I will have to go into the closet and shut the door to isolate any other outside noise to see if I can hear anything.

When you do a long exposure, isn't SR automatically turned off?
05-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Nope. Guess I will have to go into the closet and shut the door to isolate any other outside noise to see if I can hear anything.

Read up earlier in this thread. The SR mechanism is *always* active, even when turned off. If it wasn't, the sensor would be floating around loosely as you moved the camera. When SR is disabled, the sensor is just held at the central position by the SR mechanism...
05-29-2010, 01:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

As part of my workplace we have our hearing tested annually so I know that I still have great hearing (Don't tell my wife) it is not loud and I do have to turn an ear towards the camera to pick it up, but it is certainly there. How is your hearing? (This is where I poke good naturally at Texas) Have you fired any guns without hearing protection?
05-29-2010, 03:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
As part of my workplace we have our hearing tested annually so I know that I still have great hearing (Don't tell my wife) it is not loud and I do have to turn an ear towards the camera to pick it up, but it is certainly there. How is your hearing? (This is where I poke good naturally at Texas) Have you fired any guns without hearing protection?
I fire guns without hearing protection all of the time. In fact, there were some Canadians on my property just the other day and......

At my workplace, we have annual hearing tests also. My hearing is great. I'll check it out again and see if I can hear anything.