Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Dirt in the focusing screen - Kx

i found a few specks of dust on my Kx's focusing screen.

how easy is it to remove the Kx's focusing screen?

i sort of remember doing this on a older film slr by flipping a small lever near the focusing screen.

is this the same way with the kx?

TIA

jordan

05-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How about a blower? That way you don't have to remove the screen.

But there is a thread on here somewhere where someone did a step by step (with pictures) removal, clean and re-attach but I couldn't find it. Sorry I just realized that I was almost absolutely no hlep, haha.
05-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
yeah it's just a clip that you press with tweezers to remove the focus screen. then just wash it with water or something. it will remove the dust.

the problem is when you try to put it back, it usually gets some dust again lol
05-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for the tips.
the dust is behind the focusing screen. i tried the blower but that didn't help.

a step-by-step w/ pictures would be great
i'll try searching ... tnx

jordan

05-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You'll also find post after post of people warning that you're likely to make it worse, and risk ruining the screen in the process.
05-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #6

Opiedog. To answer your question, here is a link to the best instructions for replacing your focusing screen in your Pentax K-x. I used these directions, but ran into a little problem and actually scratched my original screen. I bought a Nikon K-3 replacement and so it isn't a problem for me, but just something to consider. Now that I know how to do it, I would be able to do it without any problems. You will also need a kit with some pliers/tweezers. If you need help or a kit, just give me a PM.

Focusing Screen
05-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The Kx's screen is less easy to remove than the k20d was that's for sure but do able.

05-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's what I use: Amazon.com: Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blaster Large (Black):…

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Specks of dust?

About a week ago I picked up my K-x and saw something that looked suspiciously like a dust mite or very small tick or something crawling around on the focus screen. God knows how it got there, but it sort of creeped me out. I think I managed to blow it out but I was tempted to strip the whole camera down as a result. It certainly made me very aware of how I needed to improve the way I stored camera and lenses.
05-24-2010, 04:41 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
adam,

thanks. this is actually what i used, the giotto's rocket blaster.

i also tried to blow out some dirt on the sensor, but it seems to just shift from place to place.
what's are other alternatives to this?
i've read some folks swearing by the artic butterfly or the pentax OICK ...?.

i'm going to leave that alone for now.

tnx
jordan

Last edited by opiedog; 05-24-2010 at 05:00 AM.
05-24-2010, 04:42 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kangeroo82 Quote
Opiedog. To answer your question, here is a link to the best instructions for replacing your focusing screen in your Pentax K-x. I used these directions, but ran into a little problem and actually scratched my original screen. I bought a Nikon K-3 replacement and so it isn't a problem for me, but just something to consider. Now that I know how to do it, I would be able to do it without any problems. You will also need a kit with some pliers/tweezers. If you need help or a kit, just give me a PM.

Focusing Screen

how is the Nikon K-3 focusing screen? does it affect the AF or metering ?
thanks for the link!

edit: holy cow! didn't realize there are that many focusing screens available!

http://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php?cPath=25_103

jordan

Last edited by opiedog; 05-24-2010 at 04:47 AM.
05-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
i found a few specks of dust on my Kx's focusing screen.

how easy is it to remove the Kx's focusing screen?

i sort of remember doing this on a older film slr by flipping a small lever near the focusing screen.

is this the same way with the kx?

TIA

jordan
that site in your last msg should have pretty good info on how to do it on a k-x... i believe its a little different than others.

i had the same issue with dust speck thru viewfinder that i just couldnt completely blow off. didnt really try to look for 'em cuz they didnt show up in the pics. not sure if its on the mirror or in the screen. then one day they were magically gone after i had to raised the mirror to blow dust off the sensor.
05-25-2010, 06:23 AM   #13

There are several types of focusing screens, but i would recommend putting out just a little bit more money than the ones you get on ebay since they take very long to get to the US and they are a bit darker than the ones from focusingscreen.com (mentioned above) and KatzEye (US dealer). I have the blower too, but it seems like your problem is a little bit more extensive than just dust. If you do go with the blower, you should just get the set from amazon.com as you will also get a dusting pen (name?) with it and some cleaning cloths. It's a nice setup to have.
05-26-2010, 06:07 AM   #14

All K-x focusing screens will affect spot metering from what I know.
05-29-2010, 09:57 AM   #15

i actually had the same problem and everything i did to clean it IN CAMERA made it worse. i resigned myself to the fact that i'd have to take the focusing screen out i i had any chance at cleaning it.

i went to the katz website and just followed the same instructions for swapping the screen (w/o the aid of their nifty tweezer tool) including the powder free gloves. once i got the screen out i cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and dried it with a can of duster. popped it back in with relative ease and now it's as good as new.

i really did think i would make it worse as i'm pretty good at effing things up worse when trying to fix them but surprisingly it worked out ok.

hope that helps