Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivo_Spohr Quote
is this the expected Pentax sharpness??
No, but it is the expected sharpness from the lens you used.

You didn't tell us but this is from the 18-250 super zoom. The K-7 outresolves any super zoom out there. At f/8 it would have been slightly sharper than at f/11 though.

DxO has a lens module for this lens and I use DxO specifically for this lens (as super zooms do have their merit!). A DxO lens module applies mathematical magic to reverse some of the lens defects resulting in softness. At low ISO, it actually works. Additionally, your DxO image has more contrast and may be due to application of DxO auto lightning. Which would render the comparison less interesting.

Last edited by falconeye; 05-25-2010 at 05:40 PM.
05-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
G'Day All,
I have posted some images on filckr but the photos from the K7 are some of my best (image quality) as I have deleted most and had trouble uplaoding to flickr this morning. I will add some more typical shots later.
The one you've posted are sharp with great detail so the camera is capable of it! My K10D used to drive me nuts as I knew it was capable of fine results, it just let me down too often (dodgy focusing ability in certain situations) but I've been happy with my K7 (AF is much better) using the same lenses.
05-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Hence my doubts.

With the K7 about 1% of my shots are better than good. They happen just often enough that I ask myself 'what am I doing wrong'.

With the Kx at the airshow I took over 500 shots. About 12 were dud from trying hand held HDR and another 20 or 30 odd from poor contrast (small white aeroplane far away against white clouds) or aircraft just moving too fast.

The rest were great quality.

Last edited by alfa75ts; 05-25-2010 at 06:47 PM.
05-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Hence my doubts.
Given that the K-x delivers in your hands while the K-7 only does so in 1% of all cases, this seems to be clear evidence that something is wrong with the K-7.

You could try to shoot without shake reduction to see whether this makes a difference but rormeister would be the one to ask whether this is a good test to check for the problem he had with his K-7. If the problem is with the accelerometers then turning SR off should help. If it is a problem with the sensor actuators then turning SR might not help, since the sensor has to be actively held in place even if SR is turned off.

Last edited by Class A; 05-25-2010 at 07:35 PM.
05-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #35
Veteran Member

there is a firmware bug fix regarding K-7 blurry images regarding the SR system, you might want to check on that. it was discussed before and could be the reason behind the soft images. the latest firmware was said to fix that issue.

btw, I just want to ask the OP and those who have such issues of what their current firmware version when they encountered such problems.
05-25-2010, 10:24 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
btw, I just want to ask the OP and those who have such issues of what their current firmware version when they encountered such problems.
For me, all versions up to and including 1.03.00.22 (current version).
05-25-2010, 11:00 PM   #37
Veteran Member

For me, all versions up to and including 1.03.00.22 (current version).
I see, did you ask for a replacement already?
05-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #38

mine is very, very sharp. I am getting an higher % of sharp photos as compared to the K100D S and K20D.

05-27-2010, 10:23 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I was gonna reply this with samples but I doubt if OP reading the thread he opened nor intend to post a sample image. Let'see if he is gonna answer that first.
08-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #40

Difficulty with K-7 focusing / sharpness

Has anyone found any issues with the sharpness of the photos on the K-7? I found this thread, but didn't see any resolution. I am an amateur, but I am pretty good at composition and understand how the camera works (I've taken several classes) but I've had my K-7 for about 2 years and overall I don't really like the photo quality. In some ways, I think my *istDS was better. I am using the same lens on both cameras (it's a 28-90 I got with a film camera years ago...actually the original broke and I got a new one a couple years ago.) I guess I just assumed that if I put it on autofocus and allowed it to focus it would come out clean and sharp, but it rarely does. I also am having trouble with low light situations. I would really like to improve in this area if anyone can help. I don't need the super high tech information...just a nice, bright, clear shot.

I have tried attaching three pictures...which I have resized to match fairly closely on pixel count. One of my kids on the first day of school which I think looks terrible. I set the camera on "P" since I was in a hurry and didn't want to be late. It was an overcast day. Here is the picture info:
Color Representation: sRGB
No flash
Focal Length: 31mm
F/3.5
Exposure 1/80 sec.
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure Compensation: 0

The baseball picture with the white jersey is a picture I took at a baseball game (within a day or so of the last baseball picture same time of day, etc.)
Color Representation: sRGB
No flash
Focal Length: 240mm (I used my Pentax film lens 100-300mm)
F/7.1
Exposure 1/640 sec.
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure Compensation: 0

The last picture is a picture I bought from a professional shooter at a baseball game. (I bought the digital download rights....it is copyright SonicPhotos David Cox...not mine.) However, I really admire how this picture looks...it is very bright and crisp and it is how I would like my pictures to look. I have no ideas of the camera properties or even what camera he used.

Anyway, I really need some help here. I assume the problems are me...not the camera, but overall I have not been happy with these pictures at all. I am wondering if I need to get a new camera actually.

Finally, I mentioned I had problems with low light. If I raise the ISO about 400 or 800...the pictures looks very grainy and I really dislike that also.

I really, really appreciate any help in these areas.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo   
08-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michele85 Quote
Has anyone found any issues with the sharpness of the photos on the K-7? I found this thread, but didn't see any resolution. I am an amateur, but I am pretty good at composition and understand how the camera works (I've taken several classes) but I've had my K-7 for about 2 years and overall I don't really like the photo quality. In some ways, I think my *istDS was better. I am using the same lens on both cameras (it's a 28-90 I got with a film camera years ago...actually the original broke and I got a new one a couple years ago.) I guess I just assumed that if I put it on autofocus and allowed it to focus it would come out clean and sharp, but it rarely does. I also am having trouble with low light situations. I would really like to improve in this area if anyone can help. I don't need the super high tech information...just a nice, bright, clear shot.

I have tried attaching three pictures...which I have resized to match fairly closely on pixel count. One of my kids on the first day of school which I think looks terrible. I set the camera on "P" since I was in a hurry and didn't want to be late. It was an overcast day.

The last picture is a picture I bought from a professional shooter at a baseball game. (I bought the digital download rights....it is copyright SonicPhotos David Cox...not mine.) However, I really admire how this picture looks...it is very bright and crisp and it is how I would like my pictures to look. I have no ideas of the camera properties or even what camera he used.

Anyway, I really need some help here. I assume the problems are me...not the camera, but overall I have not been happy with these pictures at all. I am wondering if I need to get a new camera actually.

Finally, I mentioned I had problems with low light. If I raise the ISO about 400 or 800...the pictures looks very grainy and I really dislike that also.

I really, really appreciate any help in these areas.
As far as I can see from these reduced images, the focus is completely off in your images:
- in the first image the fence looks sharper, than the boy
- in the second, the brick wall of the house in the background looks much sharper, than the boys in the foreground

At least the exposure is quite good.

Also, the baseball image shows some poor contrast - I bet the pro photog's image wasn't taken with a soso consumer zoom. I don't think, this is a camera issue, unless the camera is severely backfocusing. It might just be, that you used the wrong AF point?

For graininess: I don't know, to what you do compare your images. But all Pentaxes today give better high ISO shots, than film did. If you really want to look high ISO shots great, you should shoot in RAW and leave noise reduction to external software. It is basically the same with all APS-C and smaller sensor cameras. Canon and Sony look sometimes less noisy - but they apply massive noise reduction, which also looses image details. Pentax choose to preserve image detail, instead and applies less noise reduction.

For saturation and contrast etc.: it is up to yourself to set those parameters in the camera settings. You can get "popping" colours and images with a Pentax DSLR, just increase saturation and contrast above the factory set neutral values. Nikon shooters have to do the same, as Nikon and Pentax both try to produce neutral images.

Ben
08-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do Some Prints

I shoot a *ist DL2 and a K7. When I first bought the K7 I was a little disappointed because it seemed the new camera was not as nice. I played around with several things before I reached the conclusion that I should compare each image in the same way. I am more of a film guy so I struggle a bit with the digital comparisons. So I just printed two pictures at 8x10 using the same printer and the same paper. Guess what, both pictures looked exactly the same! So then I sent the same pictures to my favorite professional lab and asked them to print each one at 16x20 keeping any adjustments made as close to the same as possible. Now I would love to say that the K7 image was WAYYY better than the DL2 image, but it wasn't. My technique just wasn't as good as I thought at the time. But the K7 image was enough better than the DL2 image that I could easily see a difference between both pictures. The K7 sensor was indeed doing a better job than the older DL2 that enabled larger prints.
08-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #43

So what I read from this thread is that if I lower my pixel setting but keep the pixel quality high, and bump up my sharpness that it should help with blurryness at 200. My K-7 takes great pictures 18-about 150 but out at 200 they get a bit blurry, look out of focus, just s bit. It tried a focus test and adjustment but I am not sure that I noticed a difference on the shots. I made the above changes and will see if it makes any difference.
08-17-2012, 02:47 AM   #44
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a sample taken with K7 and DA40 Ltd that is very sharp. I use Katz eyesplit prism , center measured AF red square/green hexagon confirmation and shoot..(This is from a ISO 640; T/1:1250sec; JPG straight out the K7 with no additional PP sharpening):

See the full original JPG here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/32108329@N08/7796789880/sizes/o/in/photostream/

..For your convenience IŽll add a 100% crop:

Last edited by jt_cph_dk; 08-17-2012 at 04:28 AM. Reason: added text
08-17-2012, 04:19 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wkrider Quote
So what I read from this thread is that if I lower my pixel setting but keep the pixel quality high, and bump up my sharpness that it should help with blurryness at 200. My K-7 takes great pictures 18-about 150 but out at 200 they get a bit blurry, look out of focus, just s bit. It tried a focus test and adjustment but I am not sure that I noticed a difference on the shots. I made the above changes and will see if it makes any difference.
Eliminate any focus and camera shake issues first. Bump the iso to get you into the 1/250+ shutter speeds. Don't lower the resolution the images are recorded at. Resize them in post processing, applying sharpening as you go. Software like Focus Magic work even better than photoshop's sharpening tools.