Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

HELP! Can't remove T ring adapter

Put t ring adapter on camera body without lining up blades on mount properly - did not line up red dots.

Now I can't get it off. It releases on one side but not the other.

Any ideas?

Seems strange it could go on so easily but not come off.

Any help appreciated.

Wildman

05-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Put t ring adapter on camera body without lining up blades on mount properly - did not line up red dots.

Now I can't get it off. It releases on one side but not the other.

Any ideas?

Seems strange it could go on so easily but not come off.

Any help appreciated.

Wildman
I did that with my K10D, once. I was in San Diego, about to board a cruise ship for seven days. I put my 500mm mirror lens on incorrectly. I think that I had the mount rotated 1/3 of the way out of "sync".

I fought with it for about half an hour and then went to a camera shop a few blocks away. They were sympathetic, but not much help. Eventually, I ended up getting it off myself, there in the store.

I hope you're sitting down. This is scary. Basically, I simply forced it off. I was able to tilt it a little and get one of the three sections of the bayonet to start through the opening. It jammed up and wouldn't go any further. At this point, I figured that the camera was useless as it was and I used a flat-bladed screwdriver and carefully pried it off.

The good news is that the metal on the t-mount adapter was softer than that used on the camera's lens mount. My forceful removal bent one of the ears on the t-mount adapter, but did no apparent damage to the camera. Whew!!! This was two years ago, and I have not noticed any problems since then. The adapter even continues to work, as well.

As always, your mileage may vary. Good luck.
05-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I simply forced it off.
So did I and it worked:

I lifted up on the loose end until I could pull it out sideways if that makes any sense.

As you said mount is much more robust than the adapter flange so I don't think any harm was done. Time will tell.

Thanks for the tip.

Wildman
05-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
So did I and it worked:

I lifted up on the loose end until I could pull it out sideways if that makes any sense.

As you said mount is much more robust than the adapter flange so I don't think any harm was done. Time will tell.

Thanks for the tip.

Wildman
Makes perfect sense. The same thing can happen if you misalign an M42 adapter. With those however, it's worse because Now you have that spring lock holding it in place.

05-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Betcha won't do that again! I know I haven't.

As I thought back on it, I realized that one could probably do the same thing with a regular k-mount lens, which might be a little more difficult to remove. Also, I didn't really care if I ruined the t-mount adapter, but if I messed up the mount on a decent auto-focus lens, I would be upset.

I've been much more careful to check the alignment of the red dots.