Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2007, 04:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any compelling reason to upgrade to K100D Super?

I just bought the K100D abt 1 month ago and now the K100D super is available....really does not make my day..but no point for me to cry over spill milk

But is there any compelling reasons to upgrade? Are the anti-dust thingy and the SDM support worth the upgrade?

08-02-2007, 04:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The K100D super is a logical step for Pentax to bring out the budget DSLR with SDM support.

Anti-dust is not very effective, so unless you can put your hands on an SDM lens, there is no reason to change.
08-02-2007, 05:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But I thought the K100D anti-dust is the same mechanism behind K10D? Is the K10D's anti-dust thingy also not very effective?
08-02-2007, 05:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The anti dust thing is not the end of dust. There was a poll done on this site and the vote was split: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/9977-dust-removal-working-you.html

The dust removal does help a bit but will not eliminate dust from the sensor or the need for a periodic cleaning. You will do almost as well if you always turn the camera off between lens changes and use good (fast) lens change practices. Always keep the rear element and mount of you lens clean and make the changes in as clean a place as possible with as little wind blowing things around.
I have my K10D set to do a dust removal cycle after each turn on and off but I still have had to clean the sensor 4-5 times since I bought it at the beginning of the year.

So unless SDM lenses are on your wish list you did just fine with the purchase of the camera you now have.

08-02-2007, 05:44 AM   #5
Forum Member

it has other settings that the regular K100D did not have. here are a few from the fact sheet from pentaxslr.com about it. funny how it lists prices for $100 more than I paid. it seems the newer model will end up cheaper than the current K100D. here is a direct link to the page if you need it: PENTAX me, I kinda feel that the P&S SCN mode is a bit too beginner for a DSLR, but then, using the auto pict mode is about the same. personally, at this time, I would NOT upgrade, maybe a K100D 5 model I may consider, but the camera has to die first on me.

PENTAX takes entry-level SLR users to the next level with the new K100D Super Digital SLR. Adding a Dust Removal system to help keep the CCD surface dust-free and full compatibility with SDM lenses, PENTAX has upgraded an already fully-featured set to bring you a technologically advanced SLR at a very affordable price. Compatible with any PENTAX lens ever produced* and featuring Shake Reduction, the affordable PENTAX K100D Super offers a large 2.5 inch LCD monitor with 210,000 pixel resolution and a friendly Mode Dial featuring Auto Picture and Picture modes as well as new Scene modes for even simpler photography. The 6.1 megapixel APS-C size CCD, 11-point auto focus mechanism, and sophisticated 16 segment multi-pattern metering delivers outstanding image reproduction, while the bright, high-precision Penta mirror viewfinder features a 96% field of view and 0.85X magnification. All these features and more combine in a compact design with a high-rigidity stainless-steel chassis that is built to last.

more: The dust lands on an adhesive sheet positioned at the bottom of
the SR unit, eliminating any possibility of it returning to the CCD surface. Auto Sensitivity Control Up To ISO equivalent of 3200 . Auto Picture Mode For Effortless Point-and-Shoot SLR Photography
The PENTAX-original Auto Picture mode automatically and instantly selects one of five Picture modes
(including Portrait, Landscape, and Macro) to create the most appropriate visual effect for a given subject.
While the camera sets all primary parameters (including shutter speed, aperture, white balance, saturation,
contrast and sharpness), the photographer may concentrate on picture composition and shutter opportunity. 11-Point Wide-Frame AF To Capture Off-Center Subjects In Crisp Focus
The K100D Super’s sophisticated SAFOX VIII autofocus system features 11 sensor points (with nine
cross-type sensors in the middle) to automatically focus on the subject with utmost precision, even when it is
positioned off center. The in-focus sensor point is automatically superimposed in red in the viewfinder for
at-a-glance confirmation.

Other features: 19 custom functions to personalize camera operations Consecutive shooting of up to five frames at the speed of approximately 2.8 frames per second
(at BEST image quality in JPEG format) Eight distinctive Scene modes to accommodate specific subjects/applications Choice of two preview functions (digital/optical) Choice of 16-segment multi-pattern metering, center-weighted metering and spot metering
to accommodate various photographic applications Noise reduction mechanism to reduce digital noise during extended exposures Dual power source (two CR-V3 lithium batteries, or four AA-size batteries) USB 2.0 (HI-SPEED) compatibility for speedy data transfer to PC Five digital filters (Black-and-white, Sepia, Slim, Soft and Brightness)
for easy editing of recorded images PENTAX PHOTO Laboratory 3 RAW data and image processing software
and PENTAX PHOTO Browser 3 image browser software included on the accompanying
CD-ROM Compatibility with PictBridge, DPOF, Exif Print and PRINT Image Matching formats
08-04-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

I don't think there is a big reason to upgrade to K100D Super from K100D. If you want to upgrade than go for K10D or wait a bit to see what will come out next. The anti-dust system effective or not is not so important. You still will get some dust.
What matters is SDM support. If you are planning on spending money on new DA* lenses, then it matters. K100D (regretably and unfotunately) does not support the SDM part of the new lenses. But then if that should be the sole reason to upgrade, what's the point of going from K100D to K100D Super.
As an example, if you had K110D and you would want SR, would you go for K100D or K10D?!? And I see it the same way with SDM. I don't think it's worth to upgrade this way. It's worth to spend the money when you are first time buyer, or upgrading from *ist range. But otherwise I really don't see the reason here....
08-04-2007, 06:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

well, I've got a K110D. I guess if I go for a second body at some point, I'll end up getting whatever is cheaper of the two, the K100D or the K100D Super.

Unless I come up with some good extra work in the next few months, then I may consider a K10D. Honestly though, I'd rather get a K100D or Super (for the Shake Reduction) and with the difference in price put it into a good lens.

08-04-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you have the K110D then I think its worth it to upgrade to the K100D super because you gain the anti-dust, SDM support, and SR which is worth the upgrade.

But if you have the K100D, I don't think its worth upgrading to the Super unless if you plan to buy the SDM lens. Or if you can sell the K100D for about the same price you bought it for.(which I highly doubt).

I have the K100D and I don't plan to upgrade to the super. If I do upgrade I would go to the K10D. When I do upgrade it will be the next K10D because the current K100D is good enough for me.
08-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #9

In regards to the entire SDM support, do the DA * lens contacts not sync with the non SDM K100D? I know with the HSM lenses on some cameras if the model doesnt support HSM it just becomes a regular AF (still functional, just not silent). Any ideas?
08-12-2007, 09:50 AM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smcclelland Quote
In regards to the entire SDM support, do the DA * lens contacts not sync with the non SDM K100D? I know with the HSM lenses on some cameras if the model doesnt support HSM it just becomes a regular AF (still functional, just not silent). Any ideas?
I think that's how it is going to be with DA* and K100D, they will work as an ordinary AF lenses. So not quieter nor much faster....
08-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #11

I'm hoping that's the case as the last thing I want is to have made the investment in the K100D not even 4 months ago only to be stuck with a MF lens! We'll see, I'm waiting to hear back from Pentax Customer Support in regards to the SDM lenses with K100D and if it's a no go I may just replace the K100D with the k10D.
08-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I just bought the K100D abt 1 month ago and now the K100D super is available....really does not make my day..but no point for me to cry over spill milk

But is there any compelling reasons to upgrade? Are the anti-dust thingy and the SDM support worth the upgrade?
same thing happened to me with the k10. after i bought my k100d i saw the k10d for sale at bh >

on another note

i think it was mentioned a few posts up but im still kinda confused on the DA* line as i have not done a lot of research on them...but my question is...is the k100d not able to use those lenses at all? or is it that it just wont be able to use special features of the SDM line that the super and k10 can?
08-13-2007, 07:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The K100D and K110D etc will still be able to use the DA* lenses, AFIAK - it will just default to the body screw drive connection instead of using the lenses internal motor.

anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
11-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After a couple of years, it now seems that the K100D has advantages over the K100D Super.

The K100D can get into debug mode with a simple key sequence to adjust front/back focus, while the Super so far cannot get into debug mode.

And, because the K100D does not support SDM, it will work with a malfunctioning SDM lens via the screwdrive focus, whereas the Super cannot.

Sometimes older is better!