Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-7 and Sigma 105mm EX macro (non DG)

Hello all,

Just got my new K-7. Niiiiiiice camera.
Tried it with my 16-50 and 50-135 DA* - Works like a charm.

I decided to try it with live view on macro shots with my Sigma 105 ex (non DG).
Nothing works. Nada. Niet. No AF, no movement on the lens.
I tried it manual focus, nothing. I'm lost.
Checked the A ring (even though it does see the good aperture).

It works fine on my K10D and K100D !!!!

I'll go through the book and search the web, but if someone can help....

Thanks in advance.

Namaste

Althor

05-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have to use the AF button for autofocus when in Live view. That said, you're better off with Manual focus in that situation.

Now after reading your post more carefully, What do you mean Nothing with respect to Manual Focus?

huh
05-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

And the aperture ring is set to 'A', right? If not, make sure to allow it to be set to something other than A in the menu. Otherwise your camera will refuse to use the lens, as you're describing. Sometimes aperture rings can be defective, too; a sign of this is if you get this sort of behavior in 'A' mode on the aperture ring.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-25-2010, 04:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
Matter resolved....I think

Thanks Jeff and Adam.

After reading some posts, reading the manual, I tried Adam's suggestion.
Seems to be working !

The thing is: the manual says that the option (37. Use Aperture Ring) is used when there are NO A-ring or if the position is not set to A. My Sigma has a A-Ring, the position is set to A, and it works fine with my K10 and K100D.

Is it a lens problem or a K-7 problem ?

I'll test it all further this week.

Thanks again !

Namaste

Althor

06-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
Unresolved actually

Hello again all,

I recovered my Sigma 70-300 DG that I lended to a friend.
It works just fine on my old K-10, but as my 105 Sigma, it does not work..

It just can't be a coincidence.
Is it the body, the firmware, the lenses ?

Does anybody else have that kind of problems ?

Thanks

Namaste

Althor
06-18-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I guess I'm still a little unclear as to what is Not working. You originally stated that even in MF, the lens will not work. I'm going to take from that you cannot take a picture with the 1770 on the k7 regardless of what you do. Does that include setting the camera to MF? You stated that your SDM lenses work which tells me the camera Is working with those lenses. The Sigma is NOT HSM?

So is it the Screw drive focus on the K7 that is not working? Only 2 things I can think of that would cause this. 1, the AF/MF switch is not activating the screw drive. You should be able to see the screw drive protrude from the lens mount when going from MF to AF. If it does and still does not work, Then likely a problem with the camera. Warranty return to the shop would be in order in that case.

06-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
Ok, I'll start over then....

On my K-7, all my Pentax lenses are working just fine.
My Sigma 105 macro, aperture ring set to A, will work only if option 37 in set to Permitted.
My Sigma 70-300 DG does not work at all. Option 37 to whatever setting.
Both Sigma lenses are working fine on K10D.

Namaste

06-18-2010, 07:37 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Sorry, I don't know where I got 17-70 from... To me this just doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by JeffJS; 06-18-2010 at 07:42 AM.
06-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Althor33 Quote
On my K-7, all my Pentax lenses are working just fine.
My Sigma 105 macro, aperture ring set to A, will work only if option 37 in set to Permitted.
Odd. And when you do that, do you see any aperture display in the viewfinder? Can you control aperture using the dial in Av mode? Or does it behave as if you were actually using the aperture ring - aperture displays as F--, dial in Av mode has no effect?

QuoteQuote:
My Sigma 70-300 DG does not work at all. Option 37 to whatever setting.
What do mean "does not work at all"? Light passes through the lens, right? Do you mean the camera won't take a picture, even with the option to use the aperture ring turned on? Are you in AF or MF mode? In AF mode, shutter won't fire unless the lens is actually focused.
06-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Just checked:

Sigma 28mm f1.8
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8
Sigma 70mm macro f2.8
Sigma 100-300mm f4
Sigma 50-500mm

All work fine with K-7.
06-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Odd. And when you do that, do you see any aperture display in the viewfinder? Can you control aperture using the dial in Av mode? Or does it behave as if you were actually using the aperture ring - aperture displays as F--, dial in Av mode has no effect?
Odd indeed. Yes, once option 37 is to 'permitted', the aperture ring is at A position, the lens is working fine.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
What do mean "does not work at all"? Light passes through the lens, right? Do you mean the camera won't take a picture, even with the option to use the aperture ring turned on? Are you in AF or MF mode? In AF mode, shutter won't fire unless the lens is actually focused.
Yes, the light does passes through. The aperture displays F--. Any repositioning on the aperture ring does nothing. On manual focus, I can take a picture, but still with the F--. One odd thing, once the lens is on, power on, the first time I press on the menu button, it appears for a fraction of a second then goes away. The second time I press the menu, it appears and stays.

Thanks all for your help.

Namaste