Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2010, 08:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The D700 shot looks better to me, especially shadow detail as expected. The K20D frame is a bit underexposed.
Yeah, I'd agree.

I've taken my K-7 and my D700 both to the local motorcycle track and I'm able to get good shots with both, but I get more consistently good shots with the D700, and the good shots from the D700 have better detail and metering than the good ones from the K-7. The K-7 can certainly handle it, but you'll get more keepers with the D700.

05-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kilowatt Quote
John,

First of, that is a very nice photograph at the tracks.

With respect, I would still contend that the photos posted by the OP are not real, but rather computer generated. Here are some of my reasons:

-The dirt on the track is motion blurred, but the poles on the fence are static
-Where the shadows of the car are being cast towards the viewer, it is highly doubtful (if not impossible) for there to be so much light spilling into the wheel arches of the cars to show the suspension components so clearly
-The sides of the cars are clearly reflecting light, inconsistent with the direction in which the shadows of the cars are cast
-The wheels are not spinning... even at 180th shutter speed, there would still be motion blur unless the cars are stationary or going very slowly
-The images of the two cars were taken from inconsistent angles: arguably, the black car being taken from a higher angle (you see more of the bonnet/hood and roof) as opposed to the white car, which is taken from a lower angle.
I see you are a new member so we have no knowledge of your level of skill or understanding so please don't be offended here. If you start a thread in the Beginners' Corner about the parts of your post I put in bold, there will certainly be many experienced people willing to explain how flash photography works. As far as the different angles, two people would likely be in two locations and it is highly unlikely that they would both trip the shutter on their respective cameras at EXACTLY the same instant so the juxtaposition of the cars to each other would be different in the two shots. If it weren't, that would be reason for suspicion.
05-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aliquis Quote
D700 white balance, colors and ground look far better.
I wouldn't say "far" better. But I'd agree the colors and exposure are more pleasing on the D700 shot. That doesn't seem to be a camera issue at all, though - just a matter of getting the WB and flash output right. Either in camera or in PP, really.
05-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The D700 shot is slightly lighter and has more contrast, which is why the background shows more detail. The K20D shot could certainly benefit from some post-processing. Nevertheless, it is difficult to draw conclusions based on rather small web examples.

Rob