Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
let me think...
K100D maybe
You don't have to be a red-headed stepchild to own a K100D; but it helps if you don't mind being treated as one.

08-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Upset Phil

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Sadly, DPReview won't let me sign on (doesn't like my yahoo email address), so I very rarely ever visit that site. Anyway, there were reasons why that particular focal length was chosen. One being that prior testing of many lenses revealed very little difference in sharpness between lenses at this focal length (varying sharpness could skew the results). There were others, but I don't remember what they were and don't have the magazine anymore. I wrote the message above about a week ago while a friend was visiting for several days and that friend has now returned home with the magazine. Regardless, since all advanced image stabilization systems, including that in the K10D, compensate to some extent for focal length of the lens, I also doubt there would be that much of a difference in the results if a greater focal length were used. Of course, I can't prove that so we'll just have to agree to disagree with each other's opinions.

stewart

Stewart..Did you upset Phil?
08-12-2007, 09:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
DPReview won't let anyone with an online email account (yahoo, gmail etc) register so Stewart never even got the chance to get banned. Stupid rule but I would waste a lot of time on DPR if it was changed.
08-12-2007, 10:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I wonder how this lab measurbation can be relevant and important for real-life practical use and applications! ;-D

08-12-2007, 11:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

Yep, Steve (above) has it right. Those with online email accounts are not allowed to sign onto DPReview. It's not a big deal, but I would have liked an equal chance to be banned like so many others, so I've heard.

I do have an email account with my current ISP (Deutsche Telekom), but can't figure out how to set it up. Their software, in German, was not designed for my English-language OS (doesn't work). As such, I had to program their broadband hardware manually, in German. After a half dozen calls just to get internet access working properly, I didn't even try to setup email access. It just seemed a whole lot easier to continue using Yahoo. I'm going to setup email through my web site, but I've procrastinated for months in doing so. Clients currently contact me (email or voice) through a German / English-language answering service (or just call me at home), so no pressing need for alternatives.

stewart
08-12-2007, 11:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Dpreview forums and their registration / banning policy

Yep, Steve (above) has it right. Those with online email accounts are not allowed to sign onto DPReview. It's not a big deal, but I would have liked an equal chance to be banned like so many others, so I've heard.
For those professional internet users with Unix accessibility and their emails of havig the feature of setting up alias names in the command line as they like, the Dpreview banning feature is of no use to them - they can set up new email address names of pop3 emails and re-register as far as they wish and they can post with new accounts as long as they want.

I won't bother to do that even though it is somehow simple and easy as I know clearly that you will be banned once you say something "negative" at *their* forums (any) and that as long as the "majority" "crowd" became somehow overreact about a particular poster, e.g., like Ben was banned at the Canon DPR forums because he started to talk about his choice with Pentax over Canon (and his switching). IMO, I think what Ben posted was nothing wrong at all and have never deserved a ban, although he might repeat his points in his posts rather frequently (I wonder how the Canon or Pentax fans are different in stating "positive" things then - they did and do it frequently and repeatedly. Same here).

The most funny thing is that many of the banned Pentaxians or even their friends have now come here and started to talk about the DPR but then Phil Askey and his company needed to blacklist the whole Pentaxforums.com and block all the links here at their website! (but why this is needed, actually?) I think the behaviour of the DPR admins is just like the totalitarian authority as those seen in the WWII or in the 60s like those of the communist countries.
08-13-2007, 12:32 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
For those professional internet users with Unix accessibility and their emails of havig the feature of setting up alias names in the command line as they like, the Dpreview banning feature is of no use to them - they can set up new email address names of pop3 emails and re-register as far as they wish and they can post with new accounts as long as they want.

I won't bother to do that even though it is somehow simple and easy as I know clearly that you will be banned once you say something "negative" at *their* forums (any) and that as long as the "majority" "crowd" became somehow overreact about a particular poster, e.g., like Ben was banned at the Canon DPR forums because he started to talk about his choice with Pentax over Canon (and his switching). IMO, I think what Ben posted was nothing wrong at all and have never deserved a ban, although he might repeat his points in his posts rather frequently (I wonder how the Canon or Pentax fans are different in stating "positive" things then - they did and do it frequently and repeatedly. Same here).
The most funny thing is that many of the banned Pentaxians or even their friends have now come here and started to talk about the DPR but then Phil Askey and his company needed to blacklist the whole Pentaxforums.com and block all the links here at their website! (but why this is needed, actually?) I think the behaviour of the DPR admins is just like the totalitarian authority as those seen in the WWII or in the 60s like those of the communist countries.
..... so your not going back to Uncle Phils house then Michael..?

08-13-2007, 12:55 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
..... so your not going back to Uncle Phils house then Michael..?

Well, you know, he or his (Pentax?) housekeeper will kick me out of Unlce Phil's house within seconds when they see my face ;-)))

To side track a bit, someone can stay in Phil's house much longer even though he obviously broke the set rules by Uncle Phil, here is an interesting story!:-

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=37790811&postID=116450636077627783

(see the last third comment from the bottom)
08-13-2007, 01:13 AM   #24
Veteran Member

To side track a bit, someone can stay in Phil's house much longer even though he obviously broke the set rules by Uncle Phil, here is an interesting story!:-

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=37790811&postID=116450636077627783

(see the last third comment from the bottom)
The DPR post links in that page are cripped as displayed, so you guys should visit the original page contains all the comments below if interested, where you can see the full DPR links (again, it is the third last comment as posted):-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Why This Blog?

Well, interesting enough? Actually, it's just amazing! And, one can see how evil money can be on the Earth! ;-D
08-13-2007, 02:18 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Thanks RH

I totally agree with your analogy of DPR and totalitarian governments. So on the mark.
08-13-2007, 03:27 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Since there are so many ways of obtaining a new email address, banning a particular email address seems fairly pointless. There are numerous web sites out there, for example, that will just give members email forwarding addresses using .net and .com domains (would pass DPreview requirements). Using these email options, a person could go years getting banned, creating a new email account, getting banned again, and so on.

QuoteQuote:
(snip) you will be banned once you say something "negative" at *their* forums (any) and that as long as the "majority" "crowd" became somehow overreact about a particular poster, (snip)

I've heard several stories about individuals being banned from DPreview, with comparatively few stories relating to other such sites. As such, it does appear to be unusually easy to be banned from DPreview.

QuoteQuote:
(snip) like Ben was banned at the Canon DPR forums because he started to talk about his choice with Pentax over Canon (and his switching). (snip)

I've never seen the full story behind that, only mention of it here and there. However, Ben doesn't seem the type to attract too much controversy. You, on the other hand, seem to relish it.

stewart
08-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #27
Inactive Account

A shaker is not a good method of mimicking natural hand vibrations.

It plays into the card of CCD shift. Where as in camera IS, along with more advanced gyro systems will do better IMO in real world situations.

I have started turning off the AS in my K10D, and am getting better, more consistent results.
08-13-2007, 06:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SloPhoto Quote
A shaker is not a good method of mimicking natural hand vibrations.
That young men haven't caused a shortage of them is ample proof of that, I think.
08-13-2007, 06:46 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good one, Mike. Though I think some mothers might want a good anti-shaker for those same young mens' hands.

stewart
08-13-2007, 06:48 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I've heard several stories about individuals being banned from DPreview, with comparatively few stories relating to other such sites. As such, it does appear to be unusually easy to be banned from DPreview.
Yes. Also, they are not only banning quite a number of persons with iron hand so as to set up a stringent filter and censorship, they also block many renowned and useful internet websites which they don't like or might feel that their interests will be harmed, e.g. CopperHill's sensor cleaning pbase page and Pentaxforums.com and etc.

QuoteQuote:
I've never seen the full story behind that, only mention of it here and there. However, Ben doesn't seem the type to attract too much controversy. You, on the other hand, seem to relish it.
I think Ben is not controversial at the DPR Pentax forum but at the Canon forum instead, where he was banned, I think. Reversely, I am clearly not welcome at the Pentax forum overthere, but not the Canon forum. So, the pattern is obvious: praising of a brand is allowed forever but saying something "negative", even by replying to others' questions, will be strictly prohibited - unless you reply once or a few and without getting the attention of the admin!