Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Odd light

seen as viewing through viewfinder. I can't figure out what this might be. It's small and shaped sort of like the photo below only a lot brighter. It shows up just below where the readings are seen in the viewfinder, over on the left.

Hope you all can help me figure out what it is or if it's fixable or just left alone cause it won't hurt anything.

05-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
92 views, no answers. I assume either no one knows what this light is, or they're still searching for an answer.

There is no problem with that light being there that I can decipher because my camera works just fine as far as I can tell. I just wanted to know what it was.
05-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Part of the display? Visible even with the lens cap on? Disappears when the camera is turned off? Magically appeared in the middle of a day of shooting? Reflection from inside the viewfinder seen when your eye isn't centered?

Without looking through the viewfinder myself it's difficult to offer an opinion.
05-26-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
It appears all the time. Lens cap on, lens cap off, display on, display off. Lens removed. But brighter with camera turned on, but still visible with camera turned off. So, it's part of the display but what would cause it? A scratch in the display maybe?

05-26-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Guessing, dust. (dust bunny)
05-26-2010, 07:30 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Would that effect photos though? I have one dust smudge that I am going to remove later today, but this thing doesn't seem to cause any problems in my photos.

If it is dust, how would I remove it?
05-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Sorry, I should have written "Guessing, dust. (dust bunny) In the viewfinder"

05-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
Sorry, I should have written "Guessing, dust. (dust bunny) In the viewfinder"
Even so, how would I remove it?
05-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm not familiar with Pentax dSLR; I am hoping someone else here can provide instructions how to clean viewfinder, or a search might uncover another thread with the info.

If dust is on mirror side of focus screen, a blower might work, you might be able to see the dust or see what it is if you look at the mirror through lens mount opening with eyepiece pointed at a lamp, you should be able to see the lamp and insides of focus screen and pentaprism. If blowing in mirror box doesn't work, dust could be behind focus screen; this is where I don't know about Pentax dSLR re: how to remove focus screen then use blower again.
05-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I'm not familiar with Pentax dSLR
Well, I've cleaned the mirror front side. I don't know anything about trying to clean behind the mirror.
05-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Well, I've cleaned the mirror front side. I don't know anything about trying to clean behind the mirror.
You don't really want to touch the mirror to clean it. Blowing it off with a Rocket blower is about all you want to do. This said so that anyone that reads this, and doesn't know this, doesn't just "clean" the mirror.

Since you don't have an idea about cleaning behind the mirror, I would suggest taking your camera to a photo shop with a service center and getting a professional to clean the camera for you.

Thank you
Russell
05-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
Guessing, dust. (dust bunny)
Even so, how would I remove it?
"Hare" brush, maybe?
Sorry, sometimes I just can't help it.
05-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
<just shakes her head at you, Jim> LOL

I wish I could take a photo of it, but I have no idea how I would do so. And even after cleaning under the mirror it's still there, that light. It doesn't seem to hurt my photos any. It's not showing up in shots. So.....

And I don't have a local camera shop here so taking it there wouldn't help. I do not drive so I can't go to Daytona and find one there either.
05-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The dust isn't behind the mirror or on the sensor, because it doesn't show on photos.

Okay, since there haven't been any more helpful on topic replies (yet?), other than the suggestions to ignore the dust, I'll try to explain better.

First, in another browser tab or window, open File:SLR cross section.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Study the part names on the diagram. Refer to the diagram and part names while reading the rest of this message

See the focus screen, numbered 5 in the diagram? Take a look for the dust there, on the bottom part of the focus screen shown on the diagram. Even if you don't see the dust there, use the blower pointed at the bottom part of the focus screen anyway. Check the viewfinder. Is the dust gone? Great! Otherwise...

The dust can also be on the top side of the focus screen, or on the bottom of part number 6, the condensing lens. To get in there with the blower, the focus screen needs to be removed.

Depending which camera you have (which is?), carefully removing the focus screen can be easy or a task best left to a service center.

Disclaimer: from here onward I am not responsible for any damage(s) you may cause.

If your camera has an easily removed focus screen, there is a little clip retaining the frame that holds the focus screen. Caution here! If you aren't comfortable with doing delicate work, take the camera to a shop and let them.

Before unclipping the holder-frame, read this post https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/92167-focus-screen.html#post939697 for how to unclip safely.

Handle the focus screen only by the little tab sticking out the edge of it; don't touch the top or bottom of the screen; it is made of plastic and scratches easily.

Once the focus screen has been carefully removed, check it for dust. Use the blower while holding the screen gently but firmly by the little tab with tweezers. You might also carefully clean it as described in the post about unclipping the frame. I clean mine (Canon 5D1) by dribbling Eclipse fluid on both sides until it evaporates without leaving any streak marks. Distilled water instead of Eclipse will work if the dust isn't greasy.

Look for dust on the underside of part number 6, the condensing lens. Use the blower to remove any.

Re-assemble. Is the dust gone? If not, the dust could be on top of the condensing lens (#6), or between the condensing lens (#6) and pentaprism (#7), or even on or between pentaprism and eyepiece lens (#8), or on eyepiece lens (#8). Getting into those places is a task best left to a Pentax Technician.
05-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
My DSLR is in my signature. And I'm not comfortable enough to do any removing of any parts inside this camera, so though I appreciate your indepth help, I'll not bother with fixing it for now.

I tried cleaning the sensor yesterday and made a big mess because medicine I take, makes my hands shake, and well, suffice it to say, the sensor was worse after cleaning. Though I did finally get it clean, I was a bit nervous afterward.