Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2010, 05:15 AM   #1

Battery Grip Affecting K20D Performance?

Used the battery grip for my K20D for the first time, shooting a wedding reception and rehearsal dinner, this past weekend. Camera seemed a lot slower, particularly when reviewing the pics using the rear screen. The a.f. also didn't seem to work as well as without the grip, and the dedicated Metz af48 missed some shots.

Is this normal behavior? Sure doesn't seem that it should be.

05-26-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I cannot see how the grip would affect the performance. Have you also started using new sd cards? Slow cards can affect performance. Also, are you shooting a different file format than usual? Switching to RAW from jpeg will also affect performance (at least when it comes reading/writing).
05-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1) Are both the body battery and the grip battery charged to the same level?

2) Do you have the battery select function set to Auto?

Jack
05-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
Both batteries freshly charged before event shoot. Battery select on "auto". Haven't changed formats. Using pretty new HDSD class 6 card, same card I was using before the problems. Will go back and check all settings on camera, but I don't think I've done anything with the camera that would affect performance.

I'll shoot some pics with the same card, without the battery grip and see what happens.

I suppose there could have been something going on between the Metz and the camera.

05-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
Ari
Veteran Member

The only other thing I can think of that would affect performance with your setup is if you have the ev spiked on the camera. But you would see that pretty quickly on your shots........
05-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

When the e-dials get offset, the camera will act funny. I also have an issue with inadvertently hitting the second shutter button. I pretty much have to turn off the grip when not in use.

Thank you
Russell
05-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
Ari
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
When the e-dials get offset, the camera will act funny. I also have an issue with inadvertently hitting the second shutter button. I pretty much have to turn off the grip when not in use.

Thank you
Russell
I know if the e-dial on the grip is inbetween a full click it can cause problems with settings in modes other than A or P. But it shouldn't affect performance speed.

05-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the help, guys. I'll check on the e-dial(s) next time out.