Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How long will you wait for a Pentax full-frame camera?
I've already left for FF with another brand. 73.20%
Until the end of 2010. 125.48%
Until the end of 2011. 156.85%
If I leave Pentax, it will be for other reasons. 5424.66%
I have no plans of leaving. 13159.82%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Maybe I'm just getting old but full frame has become irrelevant to me. Mind you - if Pentax were to bring out a FF DSLR and it made a lot of people happy, I'd be pleased for them and hope that the new camera sold well. But, for me, a FF camera would have to be a LOT cheaper than even the most-inexpensive examples now on the market. It would also have to be a LOT smaller and lighter. As it stands, I find APS-C more than meets my needs.

Meanwhile... back to the poll. I checked "If I leave Pentax, it will be for other reasons." For me, that primarily means the availability of certain affordable lenses and improved auto focus going forward. Now, this doesn't mean I'm ready to bail on Pentax. My K200D still works fine and, if all goes well for me in the financial department, I plan to begin collecting DA Limited primes shortly. I plan to purchase three or four of them over the next couple of years. I'm glad I got my DA* 16-50 and 50-135 f/2.8 zooms when I did (still no SDM problems), because pricing means I am probably now permanently out of the DA* market.

I'm hoping we'll finally see the beginning of a stream of new products from Pentax at Photokina. If there's a replacement for the K200D - something between the K-x and K-7 with weatherproofing - I will seriously consider it. And who among us isn't clamoring for lenses to fill the many obvious holes in Pentax's lineup? But if all we get are more small, cautious, incremental advances, then the writing may be on the wall - at least for me. Still, I have high hopes.

05-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I went Canon 2 years ago, but still use my Pentax the most to this day. Would leave Pentax if they quitted the camera business, or I were broke.
05-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A better sensor is 6x45 cm or larger, not 24x36

If I need more quality than is available on Pentax (and others) APS-C sensor, the only solution that makes sense is not to add 50% to the sensor size, but to double it.

The FF/APS-C debate brings back memories to old guys like me. Only in those days, it was 120 vs 35mm film. If MPix says they will be happy to print 24x36 inch images from my K10's sensor, why would I need more? To print a billboard, I would rent a 4x5 and use Velvia.
05-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
the only solution that makes sense is not to add 50% to the sensor size, but to double it.
FF doubles #photons collected.

Next time you sit in your V8 Ford Mustang, think about it when Ford "upgrades" it with a digital board computer but at the same times, changes motor to V4 since obviously it has been shown to be good enough And that if you ever wanted to upgrade, why not to V12 or V16?

(Joke with a serious core of truth)

05-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
FF doubles #photons collected.

Next time you sit in your V8 Ford Mustang, think about it when Ford "upgrades" it with a digital board computer but at the same times, changes motor to V4 since obviously it has been shown to be good enough And that if you ever wanted to upgrade, why not to V12 or V16?

(Joke with a serious core of truth)
Hey - I would rather have a Doble with a 4 cylinder double acting Wolf Compound that gives 1000 lb/ft or more. At rest.
(also a joke - there are very few of them left).
05-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Sort of a complex answer for me. I voted that I'm not planning on leaving Pentax, but if at the end of 2011 Pentax hasn't come out without full frame or something else compelling beyond its current APS-C strategy, (I mean something that I can afford, the 645D being far, far out of my range) I would consider adding another camera brand to explore those options. Otherwise, I'll probably stick with Pentax until the day they disappear, and probably even beyond then until my cameras stop working.

Edit: As I've said before, the main reason I'm interested in a full frame camera of some type is it gives you more options for wide, high quality lenses, especially primes. I also like how photos from the full frame format look, regardless of brand. However, on the telephoto side of things, I do like how APS-C gives you a length/size advantage. For example, I might even find my FA77 more useful as a tiny 115 mm f/1.8 on an APS-C camera rather than the short telephoto it was at its original focal length

Last edited by Urkeldaedalus; 05-30-2010 at 07:10 PM.
05-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #52
Pentaxian

I wish people would stop ascribing 'full-frame' with special properties. It just means a sensor of a particular general size, which can provide some optical/technical advantages relative to smaller sensors like APS-C, 4/3's etc, including the collection of more photons.

However merely because it's sensor dimensions are analogous to a 35mm film frame, a 12MP D700 won't automatically deliver you more resolution than a 12MP K-x or 12MP D90, for example, nor automatically provide you with significantly greater colour depth or dynamic range or overall IQ. Etc. Full-frame doesn't fix everything and guarantee great camera IQ.

So I don't care if Pentax crank out a FF body this year or not. I can see how it will help them in marketing terms and in keeping up with competitors though, so if they do release a FF body, more power to them.

If I need to shoot full-frame in the meantime, I can use my Real-RAW bodies.
05-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #53
Pentaxian

I hope you don't mean "Real-RAW" in the same way Ken Rockwell does...

05-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #54
Veteran Member

If I wanted a FF camera i'd already be on the dark side!
05-30-2010, 10:33 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I hope you don't mean "Real-RAW" in the same way Ken Rockwell does...
Yeah, it's a rockwellism for 35mm film camera.

I have about 6 Pentax and Ricoh K-mount film SLR bodies and stuff like an Olympus XA. It all still work great, and turns into digital very well with a good film scanner.

But I'm not addicted to Saturation +5000, like Ken is.
05-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #56
Inactive Account

Whether or not I leave because if FF (Digital) will depend greatly on whether or not I decide I care. Right now I don't. If I want to use my FF lenses on a FF camera, I have any number to choose from. I just need to stop looking at the backs of them expecting to see a picture.

05-30-2010, 11:28 PM   #57
Veteran Member

I don't have any need for a FF camera, however I do want a K20D sized body.
05-30-2010, 11:31 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I hate selling my Pentax FF lenses, but I really need an FF body really soon.
05-31-2010, 03:51 AM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I hate selling my Pentax FF lenses, but I really need an FF body really soon.
For what?
05-31-2010, 06:10 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Henrik Kristensen Quote
For what?
for the purpose of achieving images that an APS-C dlsr can't deliver in certain situations and events that an FF can.