Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How long will you wait for a Pentax full-frame camera?
I've already left for FF with another brand. 73.20%
Until the end of 2010. 125.48%
Until the end of 2011. 156.85%
If I leave Pentax, it will be for other reasons. 5424.66%
I have no plans of leaving. 13159.82%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It this brand loyalty that I see? Well, I'm not surprised. Pentax only is the best photo brand

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #17

How about a realistic poll?

QuoteOriginally posted by captmacq Quote
stop with the ff. its not ff, its noise and auto focus that drives people away
Captmacq is right. This poll is absurd. There are many reasons why people go with their chosen camera format and manufacturer. I just don't understand the curmudgeonry against Fullframe. APS-C will always have its place in the market, so will Fullframe. Do I feel threatened that Pentax is supporting MF? No, why should I?

Do you not think that Hoya had ROI studies done on Pentax (departments and business plans) both before and after the merger? If it wasn't for Hoya the Pentax 645D would have never seen production. What markets does the 645D appeal to? Advanced amateur, semi-professional and professional. The same markets that Fullframe appeals to. Hoya is a highly successful company. Pentax has a lot of potential in many different markets. Hoya will make Pentax a success again. It's not in Hoya's interests to have a weak Pentax.

Check out this graph illustrating the patent applications for Pentax. Notice the spike after Hoya acquired the company?

New products are coming, will I purchase each one? Probably not, but I will have choices as to what to buy. I purchased my K20D as an upgrade from my K100D. When Pentax released the K-7, I thought about purchasing it, but I don't want another APS-C camera. I want my next camera to be a Pentax Fullframe DSLR.

Does Toyota or Honda only make one type of engine or one type of car? You don't grow market share by not giving your customers choices or repeat customers a path to upgrade. Pentax is now offering APS-C, soon MF and hopefully in the future Fullframe.

Some interesting links that compare Fullframe to APS-C:

Episode 011 - APS vs Full Frame Shootout!

John Greengo compares the Fullframe and APS-C formats.

At 17:12, John visually illustrates the differences in depth of field between the two formats.

There are differences! For further comparison check out:

EOS 5D vs. EOS 20D - Full Frame vs. APS-C Sensors - Bob Atkins Photography

One of the oldest sayings in business is, "Give the customer what they want." If enough Pentaxians desire a certain type of camera or lens (I'm sure Hoya/Pentax has already done legitimate research unlike these polls) then I'm sure it will be made.

Last edited by Angevinn; 05-26-2010 at 09:41 PM.
05-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
Captmacq is right. This poll is absurd. There are many reasons why people go with their chosen camera format and manufacturer. I just don't understand the curmudgeonry against Fullframe. APS-C will always have its place in the market, so will Fullframe. Do I feel threatened that Pentax is supporting MF? No, why should I?
One of the oldest sayings in business is, "Give the customer what they want." If enough Pentaxians desire a certain type of camera or lens (I'm sure Hoya/Pentax has already done legitimate research unlike these polls) then I'm sure it will be made.
There you go again, Angevinn. Just because you don't agree with the results of the poll does not make it biased or absurd.

If you are so good at judging polls, I invite you to post one yourself. I suspect that you won't be satisfied until one proves you right.
05-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I've already bought a D700, but I'd gladly buy a FF Pentax dSLR if it came to market with comparable features.

05-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Ahem - "It is a lousy carpenter who blames his tools."
I know a lot of very good carpenters who would disagree with this.
Of course, tools have changed a lot in the last few hundred years since that tired old whale first washed up on the shores of metaphor.
05-27-2010, 04:36 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
Perhaps Hoya HAS done legitimate research, but it turned out pretty close to what this poll shows. For what it's worth, the way that Pentax is going about things now is very similar to the way they've always worked. They divided their cameras into "amateur" and "pro", for the most part. That seems to be what they're doing now in developing APS-C and medium format. Frankly, I think it gives them a marketable difference, instead of trying to slug it out head-to-head with Nikon and Canon, where they would most certainly lose.
05-27-2010, 05:15 AM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
They divided their cameras into "amateur" and "pro", for the most part.
Which is why you will never see Full Frame or Long Glass from Pentax, or specialized lens like Macros in the 150 to 200 range from 3rd party manufacturers.

It's a shame too, with all the FA glass available, you would think they would have a lock on the semi pro or pro landscape market if they produced a FF Camera.

But the bottom line is, if you want full frame, shoot film or shoot someone elses gear. And I doubt that is ever going to change.

05-27-2010, 05:32 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Can we please try to restrict this poll and it's related discussion to your individual needs and wants as photographers? Tell us what you shoot and how that affects your purchase considerations.

There are more than enough threads discussing/guessing Pentax's market strategy. Thanks!
05-27-2010, 05:43 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Sorry, but the basic question of this thread is TOTALLY about marketing, isn't it? If it were about facts, it'd be about one post long.."Need a FF? Pentax doesn't have one...next."
05-27-2010, 05:47 AM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I look forward to when Pentax launch the FF camera, cos all my lenses are still FF.
05-27-2010, 06:06 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Can we please try to restrict this poll and it's related discussion to your individual needs and wants as photographers? Tell us what you shoot and how that affects your purchase considerations.
OK, the original Poll question was "How Long Will You Wait For a Pentax Full Frame Camera?"

One of the responses was "If I leave it will be for other reasons"

That's the one I chose, based on the premise that Hoya has no intention of EVER making a FF Pentax camera. Hoya has no intention of supporting anything other than the beginner/amateur market in DSLR's.

And I will restate my angst with their position It's a darn shame they wont because the FA limiteds would flat out KILL the competition in the advanced amateur/semi pro landscape markets and give Hoya a pretty good shot at taking back some much needed market share.

I could be, and hope I am wrong, but when 3rd party lens makers are cutting a lot of specialized lens' with Pentax mounts, and it would seem that they know better than most what is coming, or needed, or even marketable, it certainly doesn't look like we will ever see much more than Kx's and K7's.
05-27-2010, 06:14 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Sorry, but the basic question of this thread is TOTALLY about marketing, isn't it? If it were about facts, it'd be about one post long.."Need a FF? Pentax doesn't have one...next."
Actually, I'm trying to make it about PHOTOGRAPHY. You know, that thing people here do when they're not suffering from LBA or predicting the future of the digital camera market.

Your post about the 1.5 focal length multiplier making it easier for you to find longer and lighter glass was interesting. Likewise the post about the lack of specialty glass. These sound like real needs from real photographers. The post predicting a Pentax FF based on patent application trends? Ummm, not so much.

Last edited by johnmflores; 05-27-2010 at 09:12 AM.
05-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I made Photokina my check point. I need new glass like 70-200/2.8 but can't find the 50-135/1.8 equivalent and I find it hard to get the A*135/1.8. Overall, I feel like APSC glass is getting too expensive compared to their FF equivalents.
05-27-2010, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not another FF thread.

If the want for FF was so severe, as some people make it, there would be no Pentax photographers left already.

Some people switch to other brands and others switch to Pentax. I don't really need FF, but if Pentax makes a capable camera available in FF, I'll add one... FF is no dealbreaker for me.

Ben
05-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #30

Paraphraising Ben...
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Not another ****ing FF thread.
This should actually be one of the options.