Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How long will you wait for a Pentax full-frame camera?
I've already left for FF with another brand. 73.20%
Until the end of 2010. 125.48%
Until the end of 2011. 156.85%
If I leave Pentax, it will be for other reasons. 5424.66%
I have no plans of leaving. 13159.82%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I already use FF cameras from canon and nikon, big deal.

I prefer pentax lenses.Also the upcoming Pentax 645 is exactly what I have been waiting for, If it becomes available here in OZ I'll put a deposit on it ASAP...of course I'll want to test drive it like any other MF digital photographer does with their digital backs. It's a lot of money to invest on faith of image quality delivered from online samples.

05-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #32
Forum Member

after my purchase of k1000 i haven`t touched my k200d. FF is FF, film is film. it`s just much better for walkaround photographying. when i really have to use my dslr i do not feel that i need FF. what i need is fast and reliable AF and nice high iso photos. for kx high iso is not an issue anymore. so AF and maybe some cheap monofocals like 35, 50 for FF would make me really satisfied with pentax.

Last edited by zelovoc; 05-27-2010 at 09:38 AM.
05-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #33

I had a Canon 5D that I sold to purchase my k7. A few months before selling it I bought a k20d that I still have. The main reasons for switching were body price, support for older lenses, size and features like SR. Although the 5D's low-light IQ is very good, in the last 7 years very few of my photos have been taken at a higher ISO (most are ISO100; I use a tripod often). However, if Pentax come up with a new compact FF body with outstanding dynamic range and a good price, I might upgrade.

Last edited by matoqui; 05-27-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: correction
05-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Can we please try to restrict this poll and it's related discussion to your individual needs and wants as photographers? Tell us what you shoot and how that affects your purchase considerations.
There are more than enough threads discussing/guessing Pentax's market strategy. Thanks!
I use manual focus lenses exclusively. Pretty much all MF lenses support film/FF so I'm awaiting the day that Pentax will release a FF camera. If not, I'll switch over to Canon FF, adapt all my lenses or just use a Pentax film camera. The only things holding me back from FF/Film are my lack of photography skills and budget.

The 1.5x crop factor is my biggest issue with crop sensors. I don't have much use for lenses above 90mm as my subjects are mostly portraits, landscape and architecture. I have no plans on shooting animals/birds. It's difficult getting an ultrawide on an APSC. An expensive, fast 20mm lens suddenly turns into a pedestrian 30mm lens on a crop sensor. That sucks. Also, distortion is an issue on crop sensors. A 20mm lens on a crop sensor will almost always have more distortion than a 30mm lens on a FF sensor.

Oh and the people saying they're OK with the crop sensors. Part of photography is buying that new/better lens/camera. I know you can take great photos on an istDL and 50mm f2.0 lens. But that won't stop us from buying a K-7 and 50mm f1.2 lens. I'm hungering for that added resolution and bigger RAW file.

05-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
This is about you as a photographer and where you are heading. If you care to post a reply, tell us about the pictures that you take and why you think you need or don't need full-frame.
I voted "I have no plans of leaving." I shoot landscapes. I print up to 24"x36". I can use the added resolution and DOF flexibility of FF, but I've been a Pentax shooter since the late 70s, so I'm pretty set in my ways. I must confess, I have PBA (Pentax Buying Adiction), so when they release a FF camera, I'll get it. When the 645D gets here, I'll get one. And as long as I can afford it, I'll probably be giving Pentax my money.

The point in my life, when I asked myself, should I stay with Pentax or go with another brand was around 1982, when I decided to get an LX instead of an AE-1 Program, F3 or OM-2. The Pentax was a better value, and I think that still holds true today.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fanboy. But if they don't release that 67D soon, I may have to change my plans!

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Yashica TL Electro X
Cool, my first camera...
05-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I've always liked wide angle lenses + short dof. I went full frame half an year ago and was ready to buy FF a year ago. I wish it had been Pentax, but there was no option.
05-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote
Cool, my first camera...
Still a classic. Love the industrial design (and that little atom logo).

05-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #38
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
90% of my lens collection is geared toward FF coming. And they work just fine in the meantime.

And when FF comes, my 85 S-Tak is going to be selling for a starting point of $500.
05-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm the typical holiday and family photographer. And for that I don't really need a FF. Therefore I don't have any plans to leave Pentax.

Will I buy a Pentax FF if one comes on the market? Yes, I will (eventually) so the FA31Ltd can be used again what it was designed for (wide angle). And as iCrop said, a bit of PBA.
05-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have no plans on leaving Pentax. My K200d does what I need it to do and it earns me money to feed my LBA.

I don't care if Pentax goes FF or not. I just want them to have a camera that they market as a PRO camera. Faster AF/FPS/Better Low light.

Olympus has a pro-level non FF camera, why can't Pentax? Maybe it's because then they have to invest money into maintaining a professional support network.
05-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I eat, breathe, sleep and dream Pentax. I started with K-mount Cosina SLR and slowly changed to Chinon and then Pentax. From SLRs to DSLRs it is Pentax all the way . . .
05-29-2010, 03:40 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I need new glass like 70-200/2.8 but can't find the 50-135/1.8 equivalent and I find it hard to get the A*135/1.8.
I also feel that -- if looking at new lenses -- as an APS-C shooter one gets short-changed on speed.

Would anyone have bought a 60/4 prime on FF? But we do so happily as a 40/2.8 on APS-C.

I see the point about compactness, but that's not my cuppa. If it's a prime, it better be faster than a zoom in my book.
05-29-2010, 04:37 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Would anyone have bought a 60/4 prime on FF? But we do so happily as a 40/2.8 on APS-C. "

the format has nothing to do with the light transmission of the lens.

I do recall Leica releasing a close focusing f/2.8 60mm lens for their R-system, it was surprisingly good AND popular.

"If it's a prime, it better be faster than a zoom in my book."

ditto . though I will point out that slower primes tend to perform much better at their widest apertures than super speed lenses do, and pancakes excel at producing even sharpness across the imaging plane. Something that standard lens designs especially zooms often fall short of.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-29-2010 at 09:04 AM.
05-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
the format has nothing to do with the light transmission of the lens. f/2.8 is f/2.8
Not again.
Google "falconeye lens equivalence" or read Luminous landscape. eodfms (end of discussion from my side)
05-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Not again.
Google "falconeye lens equivalence" or read Luminous landscape. eodfms (end of discussion from my side)
I corrected that falk..don't worry, I'm not becoming one of THEM. my years of large format technique haven't been lost on me.