Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2010, 04:42 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rime Quote
Ira/audiobomber : The 2 teleconverters are because I kept reading that long lenses are necessary, and using a teleconverter + the 300 prime or the 55-300 zoom seemed like the only way to get the necessary length and still have something that I could afford/handle.
From any examples I've seen, a DA 55-300mm + TC is not a happy combination. You'll get better IQ by cropping the zoom to a 450mm fov than you will by adding a convertor.

The 300mm prime + TC is generally a recommended combo, but I suspect you'll see negative results with the prime + two convertors, i.e. better IQ with one convertor and cropped fov compared to two TC's.

For wildlife photography, I'd have the 55-300 loaded on the K-x and the 300mm + TC on the K-7.

06-02-2010, 05:01 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Dust is the enemy. If your gear is not weather sealed leave it at home. This means a K-7 and DA (star) lenses. Budget accordingly.
Are you saying the WR kit lenses are not sealed well enough for a safari? That's hard to believe, considering most photography buffs go on safari with bodies and lenses that have no seals of any kind.

PS Rime, since your trip isn't until December, you may want to hold off a few months befoe filling out your entire kit. Many people think a DA 55-300mm WR and an updated camera to replace the weather sealed K200D are good possibilities for announcement at Photokina (end of September).