Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

M-50 F 1.4 lense

Need a bit of advice here,am looking at buying a SMC M-50 F1.4 on Trade Me and are wondering if any one can give me some words of wisdom about how it would go on a K100D.

08-03-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Stewart

It will be great on your camera. The M lenses are my favourites of the old glass. The quality is as good or better than any lens you will find today.

You will have to set the custom function to "allow aperture ring"

You will use the camera in manual mode. Set the aperture ring to the desired setting on the lens itself. Press the IF (or green button) and the camera stops-down the lens and sets a shutter speed.

Focus on the subject manually. The auto focus will not work...but you will get focus confirmation from the green hexagon in the viewfinder. Manual focus with the M series lenses is very easy as they generally have a long focus throw and a lovely well damped feel to them.

These old lenses don't cost a fortune and you will love the results.
08-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stewart Minnis Quote
Need a bit of advice here,am looking at buying a SMC M-50 F1.4 on Trade Me and are wondering if any one can give me some words of wisdom about how it would go on a K100D.
It is nice on the K10D. I have one. I am getting ready to sell it and upgrade to an autofocus version of the same lens.
08-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter

See what I mean

08-03-2007, 06:22 PM   #5

Only 30 ? Shame, shame

Cheers

Jan
08-03-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gussegutt Quote
Only 30 ? Shame, shame

Cheers

Jan
Don't encourage me !!!!
08-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Stewart

It will be great on your camera. The M lenses are my favourites of the old glass. The quality is as good or better than any lens you will find today.

You will have to set the custom function to "allow aperture ring"

You will use the camera in manual mode. Set the aperture ring to the desired setting on the lens itself. Press the IF (or green button) and the camera stops-down the lens and sets a shutter speed.

Focus on the subject manually. The auto focus will not work...but you will get focus confirmation from the green hexagon in the viewfinder. Manual focus with the M series lenses is very easy as they generally have a long focus throw and a lovely well damped feel to them.

These old lenses don't cost a fortune and you will love the results.
QuoteOriginally posted by Stewart Minnis Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by PaulAndAPentax Quote
It is nice on the K10D. I have one. I am getting ready to sell it and upgrade to an autofocus version of the same lens.
In my opinion ( what do I Know ?) The m lense will give you some exposure consistancy challanges on the K10D. Not so much on the K100 I believe.
I have a K10D and a *istDL and and least the exposure with that one is very consistant ( right or wrong). However, using the K10D you will be over the floor when you stop down..
This has been discussed ad nosium (sp?) on this forum.

Just my 2 cents.
Like someone else said on this forum "my advice is free"

Jan
08-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I bought my M 50mm 1.4 lens new in 1980 with my ME Super. I love using this lens on my new K100D. Works great, and is probably one of the strongest reasons I decided on the k100D vs another model (brand).

pschlute, That is an incredible collection of M lenses!

Last edited by Fritz; 08-03-2007 at 08:05 PM. Reason: spelling
08-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both the M 1.4 and M 1.7 versions of this lens. My personal experience with these two lenses is that when they are stopped down to f2 or so, there's no difference between them. My particular M 1.4 is too soft for my tastes wide open at 1.4, while the 1.7 is much sharper wide open at 1.7 and meters better, too (I really need to do something about selling the 1.4 because I don't use it at all). I prefer the M 1.7, and its usually cheaper, too.
08-04-2007, 02:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gussegutt Quote
In my opinion ( what do I Know ?) The m lense will give you some exposure consistancy challanges on the K10D. Not so much on the K100 I believe.
I have a K10D and a *istDL and and least the exposure with that one is very consistant ( right or wrong). However, using the K10D you will be over the floor when you stop down..
This has been discussed ad nosium (sp?) on this forum.

Just my 2 cents.
Like someone else said on this forum "my advice is free"

Jan

The OP was refreing to a K100. I do not know if there are any exposure problems with this camera and old lenses.

As far as the K10D is concerned the exposure problems are instantly and cheaply solved with a screen swap.
08-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #11

I have never used a 1.4 (though I have drooled...lord have I drooled) but I do use an M 50mm 1.7 all the time. It's my first choice lens so far, though my lineup is somewhat limited.

It really brings back some of the fun of my k1000.
08-15-2007, 03:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

That is some SWEET M Series LBA!
08-15-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have the SMC M 50mm F1.8 lens which I use with the K10D and works a treat. very sharp, and the Camera will set the exposure for you.
08-15-2007, 09:56 PM   #14

M-50 F1.4 is my favorite lens, it's my mostly used walkaround lens. Fast, sharp and 50mm for dslr is realy nice focal lenght. mmmmm, and those beautiful colors and contrast