Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Trouble with k20D

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've a trouble with my K20D!

My Auto-Bracketing "function" seems to be stuck. The Button itself is still functional and I can press it and it comes back without any problems.

But the wheels no longer function as they should. They just adjust autobracketing settings. My menu button doesn't function either. The machine behaves as if the autobracketing button is permanently pressed.

Is there a hard reset button in k20d so I can reset it?

Any other solutions?

05-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd try pulling the batteries and then upgrading the firmware. If that can't be done, you might be looking at hardware problems
05-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
Done it.....didn't work
05-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enderkasim Quote
Done it.....didn't work
Try leaving the batteries out all night. Charge them up while you are at it, just for the heck of it. Strange things happen in electronic devices, and often a completely off the wall trick resets them. (I've been fighting computers since 1971, and seldom win.)

05-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am not sure, but is there a function in DEBUG MODE to run an internal diagnostic and maybe even reset to factory spec? I am not familiar with that mode to know either way.

CR & Adam: too bad there is not access to a handy jumper to short across to reset the CMOS back to ground zero...

One some stubborn devices over the years, I was able to get a hardware reset by removing the battery with the power on...but not sure how this K20d handles that sort of abuse.
05-31-2010, 03:11 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Could the bracketing button itself indeed be damaged causing the camera to think it is being constantly depressed?
05-31-2010, 03:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
One some stubborn devices over the years, I was able to get a hardware reset by removing the battery with the power on...but not sure how this K20d handles that sort of abuse.
Tried that too. I think it is a physical problem. I've noticed not just autobracketing button seems to be perma-pressed, but also menu button. I'll take it to service.

By the way how do we enter to debug mode?

05-31-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enderkasim Quote
Tried that too. I think it is a physical problem. I've noticed not just autobracketing button seems to be perma-pressed, but also menu button. I'll take it to service.

By the way how do we enter to debug mode?
here is all the info about entering debug mode on the K20D.

Debug mode

I have only used it to adjust the FF/BF AF settings on mine but there have to be more uses. There are also many threads here on PF as well as around the web about it so it might be of some use to further search around. If I have time later I might play with it some myself but I am way under the gun on making some cash this week so I promised myself, and the bills (apparently they say they are my "friends"...hehehehe...I think they just want my cash is all...bastards!! ) but I promised I would NOT distract myself today...heh, yeah RIGHT...sigh...

Good luck and have fun...still if more systems ion the body are affected it could be a sign of some general looming system failure on the horizon so best to send it in under warranty if you are able. It's sort of a better safe than sorry.

Oh, just out of curiosity, have you double check with the lense in MF rather than AF? Also I am guessing you have tried all the "creative modes" like "green box", manual, EV....etc...??? Still, it might be tilting at windmills here and best to just send the beastie in for service. At worst as I recall we get an annual service for just $19.99 while under warranty, which I think is a great deal if ya can be w/o the body for a few weeks...mine is due but I need it in hand for a while...I shoulda done it this winter.

Will be interested to see what comes up so post follow-ups once you know more...might help the next "guy".
07-20-2010, 10:55 PM   #9

Any fix for this yet?

My K20D is exhibiting exactly the same problem, functions as if menu and autobracketing buttons are permanently pressed, none of the menus display on the monitor, which otherwise functions perfectly. Anyone figure a way out of this?
07-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normant Quote
My K20D is exhibiting exactly the same problem, functions as if menu and autobracketing buttons are permanently pressed, none of the menus display on the monitor, which otherwise functions perfectly. Anyone figure a way out of this?
My K10d had a problem that it would start up with the AE-L engaged. It would take me several tries to turn it off. The camera was still under warranty so I shipped it off to Pentax Canada. The problem turned out to be an almost microscopic crack next to the button, due to a fall I had taken in a park. Warranty was justifiably denied (they even sent a picture of the damage with the denial). They replaced the top plate of the camera and it now works flawlessly.

I cannot fault Pentax for this; I fell while trying to take a shortcut over some slippery rocks. The cost to repair was about the same as the cost to replace the camera with another used K10d, but at least I know that the camera is now working as it should, while a different camera may have problems which were not yet apparent.
07-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I believe bracketing does not work in some shooting modes. Perhaps you are in one of those.
07-22-2010, 01:13 AM   #12

The menu button simply does not work, in any mode.

When the K0D is turned on, "Version 1.4" appears in the monitor, as if the menu button was depressed. Yet the menu button is not actually depressed, and can be depressed, though depressing it does nothing.

The LCD display reads "Off", shows no bracketing, and the battery charge level - nothing else.

Shutter speed and remaining frames to be exposed momentarily appear when I go into preview or do other things.

taking the battery out over 24 hours did nothing either.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, any more?
07-22-2010, 06:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Sounds like it needs to go to service, or you need to buy these.
Moody Tools Set Of 4 JIS Type Drivers/58-0301. - eBay (item 390190028318 end time Jul-29-10 17:34:20 PDT)
08-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #14

FYI - Problem solved - it was electrical, not mechanical

I was certain there was no crack near the button, and nothing mechanical seemed to be malfunctioning. I was about to send the K20D in for service since the problem persisted and I could see no way to fix it - the menu button seemed to be permanantly depressed, so that "version 1.4" lit up on the monitor when I turned the camera on, and the menu screen simply would not appear when I pressed the menu button. Plus the exposure bracketing button seemed to be functioning as if it were permanently depressed - when I moved the front wheel, without depressing it, 3 or 5 exposure bracketing appeared.

I usually use M42 SMC takumars, with a pentax adapter, and remembered that shortly before these problem occurreds, I had removed the adapter, and used the kit lens so that I could activate the sensor dust mapping function. When done cleaining the sensor had then re-inserted the adaptor and when I used M42 lenses the camera started functioning as if the menu and exposure bracketing buttons were permanently depressed.

So, I removed the adapter, attached a K-mount lens (a K28 f3.5 to be exact) and voila, everything worked perfectly. And I then removed that lens, re-inserted the Pentax M42 adapter, and attached my SMC Takumar 55 f 1.8 and everything still worked perfectly, as it has continued to, using a variety of M42 lenses.

So, I assume that there had been an electrical problem of some sort, perhaps the adapter had not been on just right and some contact was shorted, which was corrected when I removed and then re-inserted the adapter.

I figure if anyone else has a similar problem with the menu and exposure bracketing buttons he or she should try removing and reattaching the M42 adapter, if it had been in use, or wiping off the electrical contacts.

Normant
08-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm glad it was so simply and inexpensively corrected.