Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 288
Is there a high iso gallery for K-7?

I saw the generic high ISO gallery. I just wondered if there was a dedicated K-7 high ISO gallery. Those type images are hard to find (for me any way). Thanks.

05-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,978
Aren't there some in the high iso gallery linked in the similar threads below?
05-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 288
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Aren't there some in the high iso gallery linked in the similar threads below?
Yes, but you have to go through them. I meant a dedicated one. Here's why. I know everyone here is probably aware of the alleged "bad" iso of the k-7. But, lately I have been looking at K-7 pictures on pbase and elsewhere and they are amazing. Now, they are not high iso (whatever number that is....I guess 1600+?). I thought that maybe if the K-7 is not so bad at high iso that there would be a thread proving it's better than the reviews. And the real truth is that I wanted the K-7 after I saw the low iso images but am scared of the bad results I've seen in the reviews at higher iso levels.
05-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,954
What iso do you plan to shoot at? I ask because it does make a difference. Anymore, most folks don't post iso 1600 shots, because it seems like all the cameras do decent iso 1600. If you want to shoot iso 3200, you can with the K7, but you will tend to have a fair amount of noise that will have to be dealt with.

05-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 288
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
What iso do you plan to shoot at? I ask because it does make a difference. Anymore, most folks don't post iso 1600 shots, because it seems like all the cameras do decent iso 1600. If you want to shoot iso 3200, you can with the K7, but you will tend to have a fair amount of noise that will have to be dealt with.
Well, I really don't know what the norm is. I don't have a plan to shoot at anything specific. I wanted it to be ready for anything. One thing I wonder about for the future is darker churches where the lighting isn't so good. Indoor shots where I can't use a flash. Early morning, twilight birding. Those seem to me to indicate 1600, at least. Sports shots for kids and so on. Again, I don't know what I should be looking for. I don't need to shoot in a coal mine but other than that...
05-30-2010, 01:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,393
I suggest starting a new thread for it. I think it would be interesting to see everybodies results, and we could possibly swap tips and tricks on getting rid of noise, whether it be through technique or software programs such as Photoshop, Lightroom, or Topaz.
05-30-2010, 01:30 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,978
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I suggest starting a new thread for it. I think it would be interesting to see everybodies results, and we could possibly swap tips and tricks on getting rid of noise, whether it be through technique or software programs such as Photoshop, Lightroom, or Topaz.
Agreed

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-30-2010, 07:12 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 288
Original Poster
do i do that or someone else?

05-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian
hcc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,482
I am no expert in High-ISO photo. By mistake, the following example was taken with a K-7 and Voigtlander Nokton 58mm at ISO6400. (ISO6400 was selected by mistake as this fast prime lens did not need such a High ISO.) The original file was JPEG 6 Mp [*].

I post below (a) a 100% crop around the TV antenna and (b) the same 100% crop after PP with Noiseware. It can be seen that Noiseware did some relatively good job.

ISO6400, 100% crop, no PP


ISO6400, 100% crop, PP with Noiseware

Last edited by hcc; 05-30-2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Typos
05-30-2010, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
Yes, but you have to go through them.
OK, but is it really that hard to do? Seems it would take all of a couple minutes to go through that generic high ISO gallery and find a dozen or more K-7 images. And you'd have the advantage of seeing similar images from other cameras for comparison. I mean, feel free to start your own thread, but it will probably take days or even weeks to collect as many images as are already in the existing thread, and you could be looking at those in the next five minutes.

Frankly, I wouldn't be too concerned. Sure, ISO 6400 JPEG's straight from the camera won't look so hot, but how often does one need to shoot that high, and who says you have to accept JPEG's straight from the camera in the incredibly rare cases where you do need to shoot that high? Looking at the existing samples in that thread should let you see for yourself what to expect in more "normal" high ISO situations.
05-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 288
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
OK, but is it really that hard to do? Seems it would take all of a couple minutes to go through that generic high ISO gallery and find a dozen or more K-7 images. And you'd have the advantage of seeing similar images from other cameras for comparison. I mean, feel free to start your own thread, but it will probably take days or even weeks to collect as many images as are already in the existing thread, and you could be looking at those in the next five minutes.

Frankly, I wouldn't be too concerned. Sure, ISO 6400 JPEG's straight from the camera won't look so hot, but how often does one need to shoot that high, and who says you have to accept JPEG's straight from the camera in the incredibly rare cases where you do need to shoot that high? Looking at the existing samples in that thread should let you see for yourself what to expect in more "normal" high ISO situations.
Yes, to me it was. That and it had mostly k20d, very few k7. I was more worried about 1600 for darker rooms, morning, woods, twilight, other times. But I have no experience. Maybe that's not the normal ISO for indoors. Again, I don't know.
05-31-2010, 04:53 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,954
Pcarfan had a couple of threads when he first got his K7 where he explored the high iso of it, but I think you need to realize that most folks do their best to shoot at as low iso as possible. It doesn't matter if you are shooting a D3x, there is improvement in dynamic range and performance at lower isos. (Here and here).
05-31-2010, 10:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
Yes, to me it was. That and it had mostly k20d, very few k7.
I counted 20 just in the last five pages of the thread, and it took me less than a minute to find them. How many do you need, and how long are you willing to wait for people to post them? I mean go ahead and start a new thread if you like - or wait for people to post more images here. but I'm just saying, if you *really* want to see images, there are *dozens* already waiting for you in that thread that yopu could be looking at *right now*.

QuoteQuote:
I was more worried about 1600 for darker rooms, morning, woods, twilight, other times. But I have no experience. Maybe that's not the normal ISO for indoors. Again, I don't know.
It is pretty typical, yes. Anywhere from 800 to 3200 would be common, and there are as I said *dozens* of such example just minutes away in that thread.
05-31-2010, 05:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member
kalison's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 376
Just skip to the last page of the thread. Since the K7 is newer it only makes sense that they are near the back. The last five pages has more than a few examples of high ISO.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, gallery, iso, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax High ISO Gallery - post here Jewelltrail Pentax DSLR Discussion 1383 12-17-2014 09:56 PM
K-7 high ISO vs K20D high ISO supa007 Pentax DSLR Discussion 72 05-10-2010 04:24 PM
Another Gallery of K-x Photos at all ISO Ratings BobRad Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 10-25-2009 08:48 PM
Pentax k20d High ISO Photo Gallery PentaxPoke Pentax DSLR Discussion 68 02-18-2009 05:19 AM
Night photography with K10D - High ISO short exposure VS Low ISO long exposure pw-pix Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 02-03-2008 01:37 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:04 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top