Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Help: Camera won't trigger flash

Hello pentax users,

I have a Pentax K10D, Pentax AF540 FGZ flash and various lenses.
Yesterday I noticed that my camera won't trigger my 540fgz flash. It flashes once and then my flash software freezes even if i turn it off, it remains turned on. I tried switching batteries and gave it some tests, pushing the test button, and it works.
If i mount it on my camera, and set everything on auto (P mode + PTTL mode on lens) the camera will set aperture f4 and shutter speed 1/80 and triggers flash but after the curtain closes. I tried different lenses but same thing.
If i switch on manual, the flash will freeze again. Any ideas? I don't know if I could explain properly my problem but i will answer all your questions.

05-30-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sofokle Quote
Hello pentax users,

Yesterday I noticed that my camera won't trigger my 540fgz flash. It flashes once and then my flash software freezes even if i turn it off, it remains turned on. I tried switching batteries and gave it some tests, pushing the test button, and it works.
If i mount it on my camera, and set everything on auto (P mode + PTTL mode on lens) the camera will set aperture f4 and shutter speed 1/80 and triggers flash but after the curtain closes. I tried different lenses but same thing.
If i switch on manual, the flash will freeze again. Any ideas? I don't know if I could explain properly my problem but i will answer all your questions.
Hmm, the fact that the flash freezes does not sound good.

It's important that the contacts on the K10 and the flash are clean and that the
flash sits completely forward and tight in the K10 hot shoe.

If that does not help then I'm afraid your flash is broken.

Does the popup flash of the k10 work ok?

You mention that the flash is triggered after the curtain closes, how do you determine that? Is the image taken dark? A good test is to take an image in front of a mirror, so that you can see if the flash fired.
05-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sofokle Quote
Hello pentax users,

Are you using the flash on or off camera?
If you are off camera, you need to "register" the flash with the camera first so that it knows which channel to use. This is done by turning both off, mounting the flash, turn the flash on and then turn the camera on.

You also need to select the correct slave mode. There are two modes, one for P-TTL and one for dumb flash. If you have the slave mode set incorrectly, and the flash is off camera, it will flash with the pre-flash from the built in. I've been there and done that. Rather confusing.

If it is on camera, make sure the you have the flash set correctly in camera using the [Fn] button and flash modes, and that the flash itself is set to P-TTL.

The last thing is to make sure the batteries in the flash are charged up, and that you give the flash sufficient time to power up and charge the capacitor before shooting.

Send more questions if you need to.