Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2010, 05:25 AM   #1

kx power problem

sometimes I have to fiddle with the batteries to make the camera switch on, ie take out and replace.

Should I take it to pentax here in melbourne and let them have a look it sems like there could be a bad connection.

05-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moving this to the dslr forum. Perhaps they weren't fully charged if they were rechargeables?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

A couple of suggestions:

- Sometimes it takes a little while - 30 seconds, a minute sometimes - after you shove new batteries into the camera for the camera to figure out what sort of batteries are in there, and to power up. Usually this happens only once: the first time you put new batteries in.

- To get more reliable battery metering, you may benefit from updating your camera firmware to the latest version, downloadable from here, following the instructions VERY carefully:
Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

- Make sure the batteries are decent ones - ie Energizer Lithiums or Sanyo eneloop rechargables, and yes, make sure they have a charge.

- Clean the camera battery contacts - and the top and bottom contacts of the batteries.

- Have a look at the camera battery contacts and see if for some reason they have been flattened to the point where they don't form a good contact with the battery, or if they have been damaged in some way.
05-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is some circuitry protecting against draining batteries "too much", for a couple of reasons. I suggest checking if the batteries are charged equally. Use a voltage meter, and try to even out the voltages, either by charging in pairs, or by draining the batteries to about equal levels and then charge them all, depending on the type of charger (most only charge batteries in pairs, as far as I know).

06-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KjetilH Quote
and try to even out the voltages, either by charging in pairs,
depending on the type of charger (most only charge batteries in pairs, as far as I know).
I hope I am not reading you incorrectly -
but charging in pairs (in series) although works is generally not so good for the batteries - exactly for the reasons you gave - if they are unevenly charged then that leads to a possible over-charge of the higher battery and the lower battery does not achieve a full charge.

Over-charging is one of the two main reasons for shortening NiMH battery life - the other is over-heating - which normally accompanies over-charge.

Most good (read more expensive) chargers have individual and independent charging channels which means they can charge batteries one at a time - this is much, much better for NiMH batteries.

One need not buy the all-singing-dancing chargers like the wonderful (but expensive) Maha/PowerEX C-9000 - there are affordable chargers that do charge cells individually:

Sanyo eneloop MQH03 (if you can find it - available in Asia, esp Singapore - see CPF thread)

Sony BCG-34HRMF4 - $27.46, with 4x Sony 2500mAh NiMH, but prices can often change within a few dollars

Soshine SC-C3 Intelligent Rapid Charger - $13.98 shipped - but ships from Hong Kong, and does not have UL listing, however it does have CE mark - this is often sold-out or back-ordered (mine was back-ordered, but I got it within a couple of weeks - it is in stock right now....). (my review on CPF)

It's a real pity that the sticky thread that used to be at the top of this forum section:

Sticky: Battery for K-x (and other cameras that take AA's)

has been moved to Camera and Studio Accessories section.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that battery questions always come up in this Pentax DSLR Discussion section - perhaps it could be sticky-ed in both sections? or at least have a sticky link from here to that sticky thread?
06-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
Inactive Account

have you updated the latest kx firmware? That is used to fix battery problems.
06-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am with VT, there should be a link to
Sticky: Battery for K-x (and other cameras that take AA's).

Cheers, Mike.

06-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
I hope I am not reading you incorrectly -
but charging in pairs (in series) although works is generally not so good for the batteries - exactly for the reasons you gave - if they are unevenly charged then that leads to a possible over-charge of the higher battery and the lower battery does not achieve a full charge.
(...)
- there are affordable chargers that do charge cells individually:
'm sorry for being a bit unclear, my point was to not charge the batteries uneven, but I tried pointing out the best way to do it if the charger didn't charge batteries individually.
(I guess that being unclear is one of the traits of not having English as a mother language. )
06-05-2010, 07:29 AM   #9

Update firmware.....
06-06-2010, 04:28 AM   #10

oooh ... k-x and rechargeable battery ... a nightmare. got 4 AA sanyo 2700, 2 years old ... they work in my old fuji s5800, they usually don't in pentax k-x