Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Stop imaginging you need to press the Green button every time you take a shot using a manual lens. Light doesn't normally change nearly that often. Choose an aperture and shutter speed that works for the room and then *leave them alone* while you shoot. At most maybe turn shutter speed up or down a click depending on whether your subject is getting direct light from a lamp or not.

Also, don't be shooting only at ISO 100 or 12800. Expect most indoor locations to support ISO 1600 with a reaosnably faster lens, ISO 3200 or at worst 6400 if you're limited to f/4 or f/5.6.

Noise happens. That's what NR is for. But too much of it results in the smoothing away of detail. If you really care about the results, you'll do your NR in PP rather than try to guess which of the handful of in-camera settings will sort of come closest to what you could have done much more effectively in PP. And yes, that means doing as little as possible in camera - and ideally, shooting RAW.
i still cant get my software to read K-x raw files correctly. any pointers?

05-31-2010, 04:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
i still cant get my software to read K-x raw files correctly. any pointers?
Hmm... that's really weird... try reinstall? if not I use also UFRaw UFRaw - Home

It can be used for just about any type of raw... but I don't use it for PP.
EDIT: Also nice for Gimp because in addition to being a stand alone it can be used as a plugin for Gimp.

Last edited by NecroticSoldier; 05-31-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Add
05-31-2010, 04:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Stop imaginging you need to press the Green button every time you take a shot using a manual lens. Light doesn't normally change nearly that often. Choose an aperture and shutter speed that works for the room and then *leave them alone* while you shoot. At most maybe turn shutter speed up or down a click depending on whether your subject is getting direct light from a lamp or not.

Also, don't be shooting only at ISO 100 or 12800. Expect most indoor locations to support ISO 1600 with a reaosnably faster lens, ISO 3200 or at worst 6400 if you're limited to f/4 or f/5.6.

Noise happens. That's what NR is for. But too much of it results in the smoothing away of detail. If you really care about the results, you'll do your NR in PP rather than try to guess which of the handful of in-camera settings will sort of come closest to what you could have done much more effectively in PP. And yes, that means doing as little as possible in camera - and ideally, shooting RAW.
Thanks for the tips on the M and with the ISO.

I shoot RAW ! but then it also produces a JPG. Hmm... so that means... I have a noise reduction JPG and w/e effects it has, plus a RAW I can then produce a new JPG if I don't like the new JPG. OKAY!

;/ gotta balance the NR...
05-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What do you mean "it produces a JPEG"? The camera does? only if you have the RAW+JPEG mode selected. There's really no good reaosn to use that mode. Shoot RAW, do your PP if necessary, then batch convert to JPEG those worth converting (for me, maybe a third of my images get converted).

As for software, older programs won't support newer cameras. not sure what software you have, but check their web site to see if there are any updates to support cameras that came out since the software was originally released. Usuaully companies put out updates to support new cameras a few times a year; most software should support the K-x by now.

05-31-2010, 05:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What do you mean "it produces a JPEG"? The camera does? only if you have the RAW+JPEG mode selected. There's really no good reaosn to use that mode. Shoot RAW, do your PP if necessary, then batch convert to JPEG those worth converting (for me, maybe a third of my images get converted).

As for software, older programs won't support newer cameras. not sure what software you have, but check their web site to see if there are any updates to support cameras that came out since the software was originally released. Usuaully companies put out updates to support new cameras a few times a year; most software should support the K-x by now.
Yeah I have it on RAW+ mode... hmm I guess I should shoot just RAW. Lets me take more pictures, and saves more time and camera process usage. Yeah... probably less than 1/3rd for me.
05-31-2010, 07:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Threadjack. I think I've ID'd most of the Nobel laureates. Top row: Desmond Tutu (South Africa), Dalai Lama (Tibet), Betty Williams (Northern Ireland Peace Movement). Bottom row: Jody Williams (International Campaign to Ban Landmines), Rigoberta Menchu (Guatemala), unknown guy, and Shirin Ebadi (Iran). Any idea who that unknown guy is?
06-01-2010, 04:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks, I may have to get a new updated version.

06-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Threadjack. I think I've ID'd most of the Nobel laureates. Top row: Desmond Tutu (South Africa), Dalai Lama (Tibet), Betty Williams (Northern Ireland Peace Movement). Bottom row: Jody Williams (International Campaign to Ban Landmines), Rigoberta Menchu (Guatemala), unknown guy, and Shirin Ebadi (Iran). Any idea who that unknown guy is?
Good job! I never remember all the names either, but I looked it up (from the 2006 "PeaceJam"): Adolfo Perez Esquivel.
06-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
would you rather use a slower shutter speed and try and get by with it or bumping the ISO up to 6400+ or... not shoot it at all?
If that's the only options, take the shot with the higher ISO. What do you have to lose? You can process out noise. Good luck processing a blurred image.

Or, try both and see which works best.

Process the noise as best as possible, or lower the ISO and under-expose it, then correct it in photoshop (which will also lead to noise processing). Maybe you'll end up with a usable image.
06-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The Dalai Lama must have a name?
All those who become Dalai Lama are called Dalai Lama, but they all have their own respective names.
06-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
The Dalai Lama must have a name?
Tenzin Gyatso is the 14th Dalai Lama. And Sr Esquivel is from Argentina. The Wikipedia List of Nobel Peace Prize laureates didn't have his picture, so I missed ID'ing him.