Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2010, 08:09 AM   #1

Flashing Colours on Display

Hi,
I have had my Pentax K20d for a short time and recently have been aware that on playing back some images, there are areas of flashing colour,mostly Red & white with a little yellow. Have I upset something or am I just missing the obvious.
Help

05-31-2010, 08:14 AM   #2

Sounds like you've turned the 'blinkies' on. From memory on my GX20 there is a setting under the playback menu for 'Exposure Warnings'.

Anything flashing Yellow is underexposed and anything Red is overexposed (or maybe the other way round - I don't have it switched on!).
05-31-2010, 08:37 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you Woodworm, I'll read up about it in the Manual.I assume that if I had the correct exposure etc when taking the shot I wouldn't see the flashing on the display when reviewing images.
05-31-2010, 09:21 AM   #4

Technically I don't think I should have said underexposed and overexposed, it's actually showing parts of the image that are 'clipped', meaning that the yellow flashing parts are so underexposed or dark that the camera isn't recording any detail other than a black blob and vice-versa for the red flashing parts, the camera just see's a white blob.

I often have quite a lot of flashing red on my skies, especially when it's overcast meaning my skies just look pure white when I view them on my PC.

Thing is, it's often impossible to have everything in shot correctly exposed so you just need to reduce the blinkies as much as possible unless you're using multiple exposures, filters, etc.

05-31-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moving this to the DSLR forum. Please don't post Pentax questions in the site help section.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-31-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
DAZ
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As woodworm said the “blinkies” are just a tool to show the edge of what is exposed. The thing to remember is that you are the one that determines what the exposure is not the camera. If something really is or you want it to be black with no details then let them blink. Same with white. It is not unusual for a little to be blinking in most photos, but if you are taking a photo of a white lacy wedding dress with it all blinking you are probably not going to see the lace.

One last think. If you are taking a photo of something with a bright color (like a red flower or a yellow car) the blinkies may not indicate you are blowing a channel. This is really easy to do with thinks like florescent safety items (especially the reflective type). The florescent greenyellow color will drive you nuts.

DAZ
05-31-2010, 01:28 PM   #7

Original Poster
Many thanks to you all for answers, I'll remember to take more notice of flashing things in the future.
05-31-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frankie500 Quote
Many thanks to you all for answers, I'll remember to take more notice of flashing things in the future.
Noticing them and knowing what to do about them (other than turning them off) are two different things. As long as you are using your camera in an auto mode (Anything but M), you are likely to see the 'blinkys'. Set your camera to M and read up on getting proper exposure for your scene. With some scenes, there is no Perfect exposure and you may have to rely on post processing to get it right. However, you can minimize the clipped areas (where they shouldn't be clipped) if you know what you're looking at and how to best capture it.

Have fun and welcome to the club.