Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Okay thanks for clarifying that(I was hopefull ).
TBH. I usually hit my zero preset before the plugin even starts and so manouvering is quite painless afterward.

As for the app, it is a true technical wonder... but wow... it sure needs some interface improvements. I have a little wishlist that I'v compiled for the Topaz forum. But I haven't gotten around to posting it yet. Perhaps we should put something togegether as a community(with a little more punch). I'm sure the developers would love to know that there product's getting mass attention.
Agreed. I too have learned to hit the 0.
As for suggestions, that is one place to start.

By the way. I have made a preset that works in 95% of my K20D images that leave them nice and clean with 0 loss of detail. That same preset is not even close to working on the K-7 type of noise.

So I have made a preset for the K-7 that works really well, but it does not work on the K20D.

Not to complicate things, but the K20D preset I made also works well on my D300s...So even more so I am convinced that the K20D is about a full stop better than the K-7 in the noise dept.

06-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Not to complicate things, but the K20D preset I made also works well on my D300s...So even more so I am convinced that the K20D is about a full stop better than the K-7 in the noise dept.
Having worked with both systems, I have no doubts as to the K20's superiority in this area. I shoot my K20D at ISO6400 quite often with full size images in view. The K-7 on the other hand... can overwhelm Denoise as early as ISO3200 under certain conditions.

The funny thing about noise is that we don't always appreciate the impact it has on an image with respect to the measurement. ie... 1 stop of noise is something we hear of quite often, but it's also misleading(not intended to single our your comment), since noise is compounded as sensitivities increase and a better baseline means better scalability also.

I don't know if this makes sense or not, but in laymens terms, it all works out to be what were seeing now. The K20's noise profile is far more scalable than the K-7's.
06-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Having worked with both systems, I have no doubts as to the K20's superiority in this area. I shoot my K20D at ISO6400 quite often with full size images in view. The K-7 on the other hand... can overwhelm Denoise as early as ISO3200 under certain conditions.

The funny thing about noise is that we don't always appreciate the impact it has on an image with respect to the measurement. ie... 1 stop of noise is something we hear of quite often, but it's also misleading(not intended to single our your comment), since noise is compounded as sensitivities increase and a better baseline means better scalability also.

I don't know if this makes sense or not, but in laymens terms, it all works out to be what were seeing now. The K20's noise profile is far more scalable than the K-7's.
Again I could not agree more. Personally speaking, today was the first day I took out my K-7 in a few months and did I regret it. I am so used to shooting my K20D at at ISO 1600-2000 as a baseline, that I knew I made a mistake when I saw the clouds today. So I set the K-7 at ISO1000 but could not get the shutter speeds I needed so I went to iso1600 and now I have a bunch images I need to denoise, where I rarely use it in the K20D. Oh well, atleast with the Topaz the images are not lost.