Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How long will you wait for improved AF?
I've already left for improved AF with another brand 66.12%
Until the end of 2010 88.16%
Until the end of 2011 1212.24%
If I leave Pentax, it will be for other reasons. 2121.43%
I have no plans of leaving. 5152.04%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How long will you wait for improved AF?

AF performance seems to be one area where Pentax owners want to see improvement. How about you?

This survey is not about predicting where the market is heading and how Pentax should respond. This is about you as a photographer and where you are heading. If you care to post a reply, tell us about the pictures that you take and why you think you need or don't need improved AF.

Also tell us what specifically you'd like to see in terms of improved AF, either by comparing to other cameras or discussing specific features.

Thanks for playing!

06-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

K-7 need to improve AF. Need get new firmware.
06-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I only started using auto-focus a few years ago. While convenient, it's not that crucial to the types of things I shoot. What I WOULD like to see Pentax do is include a split-screen/microprism focusing screen in their DSLRs.
06-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I think adding a split screen/microprism is an excellent idea for those who need or prefer to manual focus. Pentax's auto focus speed keeps improving with time and new models... and is gradually becoming more competitive. But the competition isn't standing still, either. More importantly, predictive auto focus for sports/moving targets still isn't up there with Canon (certainly not the better Canons), which is still the benchmark for DSLRs.

06-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #5

This is a tough one! I've a K10D and thought about a K-7 a lot.

I'm happy with what I've got and only a significant improvement in AF from K-7 would get me to change. OK, great high ISO would also be wellcome.

But truth is I won't change brand anytime soon. To much invested in lenses.
06-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have no issues with Pentax's AF performance. I'm well aware that other brands outperform Pentax, and I certainly won't complain when Pentax steps up its game with respect to this issue, but AF speed is not a limiting factor in my photography.
06-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

As much as I would like to use a camera with better AF performance, I have far too much invested in Pentax to do anything other than hope that they will make some major improvements in this area.
06-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is nearly the same as your "leave pentax unless they give me FF" thread.

While I wouldn't object to some improvements in AF, I don't personally see a need. It doesn't seem to matter which brand I've owned, I found shutting off AF and predictively focusing to capture a moving target works better for me. It also lets me think about composition etc, instead of just chasing my subject around using AF....

06-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

K-7 have a good AF,but place for better technology is existing.
I know that i wait till Photokina
06-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The K-7 AF is an improvement over all before. It focusses very quickly. I think the speed is pretty good, but the tracking isn't. Of course SDM doesn't help, but on my screw-drive Sigma 70-200 the speed of the AF is pretty good.

However my next camera purchase will be C or N if P hasn't improved tracking by the time I can afford an upgrade. I love the K-7's form and weight etc., but I've ended up doing quite a bit of sports photography, so will be changing if the tracking ability doesn't improve considerably.
06-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photokina 2010

i'm hoping pentax will NOT use their ageing SAFOX VIII in their upcoming dslrs.
current dslrs are better in AF due to algorithm updates, but AFC is still not so good.

improve the AFC - tracking and use a center sensor that's f2.8 or faster

hopefully photokina this year will bring pentax dslrs w/ better AF
06-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I do quite a bit of BIF photography and the autofocus on my K-x is becoming a PITA.
06-02-2010, 06:51 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I have far too much invested in Pentax to do anything other than hope that they will make some major improvements in this area.

This is my situation, too. Luckily, for the types of things I like to shoot, my requirements are pretty minimal so I can afford to hang with Pentax until they stop making DSLRs. I suppose I could sell all my lenses and switch to another system, but I would lose a TON of flexibility in the process.
06-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Of course there is plenty of room for improvement. Basically I think for me, primarily in two areas. First of all, needs to be better in low light. Second, in lens motors need to be faster. I don't use predictive auto focus. It just isn't particularly useful for little kids because their movements are so random anyway. The problem is that so often the camera has to go all the way from one end of focus throw to the other and then has small hesitations while it is getting precise focusing. It would be a lot better if it just went directly to the focus point.
06-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I now realise how kind I was being to my K-x by using center and 5-point AF.

I tried 11-point with slow BOATS today, and it had a FIT and stopped focusing until I pointed towards a much closer object.