Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Sudden freeze, any one else?

Yesterday when I was shooting with K-x, suddenly the camera came to a freeze. None of the buttons was responsive. Even the power switch couldn't turn the machine off. I had to take out and reinstall the batteries to get it back to normal.

Does anyone have similar experience?

06-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

They must have used Windows-based firmware in it... so it's normal...
06-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There have been similar related posts in the forum. For example: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/103126-kx-power-problem.html. This problem seems to happen with partially-depleted batteries and the earlier firmware power management of the K-x.

- Use good quality fully-charged batteries. (See related threads in the Forum for the best batteries)

- Update your firmware (with fully-charged batteries); the latest update improves significantly the camera power management.

Hope that it will help ....

Last edited by hcc; 06-01-2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Add URL
06-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
xjx
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
There have been similar related posts in the forum. For example: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/103126-kx-power-problem.html. This problem seems to happen with partially-depleted batteries and the earlier firmware power management of the K-x.

- Use good quality fully-charged batteries. (See related threads in the Forum for the best batteries)

- Update your firmware (with fully-charged batteries); the latest update improves significantly the camera power management.

Hope that it will help ....
Well, the firmware is the most recent version (1.01.00.10). The batteries are eneloop, mostly full.

I believe it is some kind of glitch in the firmware (think about Microsoft blue screen). However, I doubt it is related to power management. It is not like the camera won't turn on as reported by others. On the contrary, the machine stays on but doesn't respond to any input.

06-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I had the same problem once on my K20... It occured after I swapped lenses with the power still on, and I had to remove the battery to restart it.

So, yeah, I think we experience a BSOD from time to time...
06-02-2010, 01:37 AM   #6

seems like my Kx is working ok~
06-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
freeze in multi-exposure

I was doing multi-exposure at different exposure settings (shutter at bulb, varying aperture and exposure time-- at least 8 seconds each) when my K-x froze while the 2nd exposure was being made. Anybody has this?

Shutter curtain remains closed when froze.
I, too, was certain I had good, full batteries.
Firmware is the version with the battery fix.
Camera was triggered using a universal IR remote, with good batteries.
My SD card is 4gig, class 6, Patriot brand.
Had to re-insert camera batteries to "wake" it. Only then will shutter curtains retract.
I'm not sure though if the first of the multiple exposure images was saved on the card. I think it isn't...

Can you guys try this too and confirm this possible "bug" in the K-x? Thanks!

06-24-2010, 04:52 AM   #8

Funny,

I had the same happen to me yesterday. I pushed live view and it just froze up. I had to take the batteries out...Which were half full at least. I never had this happen before. Can't replicate it either. I don't know what it was.

But I sure am enjoying my DA 40 limited that came via UPS yesterday...What a Lens!!