Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Johnny5 Quote
Regarding FastStone I should have said it is a good basic program, but I can see that if i want to get creative, something like Lightroom is the way to go. I plan on trying an older 50mm 1.7 lens I have lying around just to find out if the Sigma zoom is adding to the problem, beyond my inexperience.

I was looking forwarded to your review of Adobe "Lighthouse":-)

Photoshop Elements is pretty good and currently $79.99 with a $20 rebate off that. I have v6 which some people like better than the newer v8.

06-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Your K20D should include PentaxPhotoLab (PPL), the RAW processor/developer software. Try it.

In-camera, I use Custom Image (hit the Fn button) and select from different profiles; I'll switch between Natural, Vibrant, and BW/Monochrome. Each profile has its own settings for Saturation, Hue, Contrast, and Sharpness. I leave Natural at default (0) settings. For Vibrant and BW/Mono, I push Contrast and Sharpness to just below maximum. I set White Balance to AWB (Auto), and try to expose properly. And I shoot RAW only.

All those Image settings carry into PPL as the defaults, but I'm not stuck with them. So I tweak the EV and Color Temperature and Saturation and Histogram as needed. If I shot (or want to convert to) BW/Mono, I'll try different Filter Effect settings. If I don't like the strong Contrast or Sharpness, I can reduce them.

The point is, in PPL I can fine-tune the camera settings as needed. If shooting JPG-only, I can make various edits, but I'm stuck starting with the picture that the camera's tiny brain decided to render, based on those settings. PPL or another full RAW developer effectively lets me go back in time and apply the settings I *should* have used, eh?