Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Particles stuck in view finder

Any ideas on how to get the particles that are stuck in the view finder out? I noticed it yesterday, and I have no idea on how they got there (it's always in a case when not being used.) Since it is in the view finder area it does not effect the picture, but it is a little distracting to look at.

Here is a picture that shows what I am seeing. Sorry about the quality it is from my iPhone.

Any ideas of removing the particles would be greatly appreciated!

06-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Using a blower pointed up/inside the camera mount towards the viewfinder always works for me.
06-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I'd suggest searching these forums for the many existing threads on the subject, read the suggestions and *especially* the warnings, then decide if it's worth the risk to try to mess with it.
06-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the particles are moving they are bugs...not!

Blower for sure as the first treatment. I find a micro fiber cloth used for lens cleaning works well too. In some cases I will actually have to remove it and clean it. However, as Marc suggests better to read up on this first. If you scratch your view screen it's a $50+ mistake. I know from personal experience on this. Treat the view screen with care.

06-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Don't touch or attempt to clean the viewfinder screen. It's incredibly easy to damage.
Take it to a camera shop and get them to do it. If they scratch it, then they can buy you a new one.
06-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I have tried compressed air and the particles don't even move. I think I'm going to take it to a camera shop and see if they can get them out. It's still a mystery as to how they got in there!
06-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Unless you removed the focus screen before blowing the compressed air, then of course blowing wouldn't help. As for how they got there, no mystery at all. Dust is everywhere. Remove these and new ones will take their place soon enough. Unless you move to outer space, dust will always be present.
06-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter

yup, those would bug me alot. generally i find removing the screen to clean often adds more lint to the fray and risks scratching like Marc said (i've been there too), but yeah, you should give it a go...CAREFULLY.

the little latch is simple to pop open but go slow and be extra careful anyway.

here's where i went wrong - when i replaced the screen and latched the hinged door shut, i failed to tug on it to verify it was firmly latched and a day or two later while shooting pics the focusing screen unlatched and crashed into my mirror getting chipped in the process. UUUGH! dont do that.