Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #61
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Currently, I only shoot ISO 100 except when I really need the faster shutter speed, or it's dark outside.

That might change when I get my k-5, though, since on it, ISO 800 and maybe even 1600 is clean enough to pass as "noise free" in web resolution.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I wanted a P&S I wouldn't have bought a DSLR
09-29-2010, 12:17 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
What does your comment have to do with the topic?
09-29-2010, 03:35 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
What does your comment have to do with the topic?
Probably a snide remark towards using any auto functions.

09-29-2010, 05:14 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Probably a snide remark towards using any auto functions.
OK, I see. I bet Clicker also keeps his AF switch exclusively at "MF", does not rely on camera's built in light meter and, of course, never uses camera in other than M mode
09-29-2010, 05:45 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I never used it until I got the K-x. There are several reasons for that. First, the performance of the K-x even up to ISO 800 is pretty close to noise-free to my eyes, so I am not as concerned about it using the range. Second, on the K-x it is easiest (without looking) to switch between two settings for ISO using one's thumb. I keep one at auto in the lower ISO range and one at high ISO of 1600 or more. On Pentax cameras with two exposure wheels, setting the ISO without taking one's eye from the finder is a little easier, and I leave it manual.
09-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #67
klh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes

I find Auto ISO useful in many situations. For example, if I am shooting soccer or football, I typically use TAv mode to isolate my player as well as reduce motion blur, and let Auto ISO (at 100-400) take care of small changes in exposure. This is very useful during late games as the sun is setting. I find the same with swimming and diving (indoor), but often have to allow Auto ISO to go much higher (up to 1600) to get the shot.

Auto ISO will choose 100 when the light is good, but if light is lower and noise is critical (such as a portrait), it is easy enough to select the ISO I want with the thumb wheel.

Personally I find the ability to change ISO so easily one of the joys of digital. I can remember many a time shooting off (wasting) the last frames so I could switch out to a higher/lower ISO.
09-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #68

Auto ISO

I use it, 100-1600 on K-7 (100-640 on K10D) but I monitor it and adjust as necessary as I do with all the other settings. I'm surprised that people buy DSLR's and then turn off the features that make them more useful than film. I still shoot about a roll of film a week and while it's not the end of the world to not be able to change sensitivity I miss the extra variable. You can turn off auto ISO and put your camera in manual mode but I don't see any reason to look down on people that use the technology that's in their hands. Same holds true for the light meter best light meter I own and I just make variations on exposure but I'm not going to ignore it, I paid for it.

09-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #69

Tried it recently on the KX on AV - iso speed changed badly for the conditions e.g. the camera choose higher iso speeds than necessary. I could have used a lower shutter speed without blurring but it went for high iso, high shutter speed combo

So now I use it with a lower limit to upper iso e.g. 1600 in reasonable low light will work fine.

I've also used the camera on full auto and in general, the shots are really good. -
09-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #70
Pentaxian

I use it all the time on my K-x. Usually in the 200-400 or 200-800 range. Very handy IMO!
09-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #71
Veteran Member

I'm of the opinion that no matter the "effective ISO" range, everything is better with lower ISO (it doesn't just effect noise), so my K20D stays on 100. I have the auto set from 100 to 400, and when the light gets low, I'll switch to that, but that really doesn't happen often, because I'd much rather deal with low shutter speeds than higher ISO.
09-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know I'm way outside of the norm on this one, but I let my K10 run full range, auto ISO pretty much all the time. Yes, the ISO 1600 shots are super noisy, but to me that is still much better than motion blur.

I'm surprised at the adversity to noise by the posters in this thread. I know that noise is not exactly the same as film grain, but it is similar. Did any of you ever shoot film faster than ISO 25?
09-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #73
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Thats how I feel...but I think we might be control freaks when it comes to this haha.
09-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #74
Veteran Member

I use auto-ISO all the time, and I much prefer it's implementation on my K20D than on my 7D - you can't use exposure compentation on the 7D when in auto ISO mode which is a pain in the ass.

It's a great too to use when shooting in unpredictable light (sun coming and going in outdoor sports or BIF) - I would dial in a shutter speed and aperture that works for me and let the ISO do the work.
09-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use it. My k10d 'pictures of the baby pottering about' mode is P. Front dial program shift, rear dial exposure compensation, ISO auto from 100 to 800. 800 is noisy, but it's perfectly usable for such purposes - how quickly we forget how grainy film could be!

As I don't get much time for 'proper' photography at the moment, I'd say I use it 95% of the time. But then what could be a more 'proper' use of your camera than taking pictures of your kids growing up?