Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #1

Pentax repaired my camera, BUT....

Pentax Canada repaired a damaged lens mount and auto focus on my K200D, at a cost of $340. The problem is the camera went in with 2200 actuations and came back with 7300! How can this be? I'm sure they didn't pull a switcheroo. If they replaced some electronic guts that affected shutter count shouldn't I expect NEW parts?

I'm upset because IMO this has diminished the resale value.
I had the expensive repair done because I felt the camera still had a good value having such a low shutter count. Now not so much.

What can or should I do?

Last edited by kevinfox203; 06-03-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: change title
06-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Write/call them.
06-04-2010, 12:32 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're sure they didn't hand you back a different camera? Check the serial number.
If not, they've had a joyride with your camera. Enquire as above...
06-04-2010, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Gallery
How did you check the actuations? If it's just from file names, then that doesn't mean anything - if they tested it with a SD card that had a higher file number on it then the camera will "take over" the file numbers from there (I found this out when swapping cards between my k20d and my dad's k100). However, you can check using an exif viewer such as PhotoMe, since the camera's true number of shutter actuations is given there. Sorry if this is all info you already know, but the filename misunderstanding is somewhat common.

06-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

On my K10D (and I assume on your K200D), there is an "internal serial number" that is recorded in the exif data, that is different than the one on the bottom of the camera. Check the exif data from a picture you took before sending it in and compare it to one taken after it came back.

That may tell you if they replaced the main circuit board.
06-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting.

When I sent my K10D in for a shutter defect, they also changed the mirror assembly and the lens mount for about the same price. Are you sure as others have suggested the mount is the only thing that changed.

with respect to the number of activations they did not reset the counter on my camera (in the EXIF data) even though they replaced the shutter. I have reset the image counter, and when I import the photos I automatically rename them, to distinguish them as a different camera than the origonal.

I do this in PSP X3 using the autoo rename, and prefix my shots with the camera type, istD, K10D or K7D. Since the shutter replacement my K10D has become K10D2, so that recurring file numbers do not get confused.
06-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuchulainn Quote
How did you check the actuations? If it's just from file names, then that doesn't mean anything - if they tested it with a SD card that had a higher file number on it then the camera will "take over" the file numbers from there (I found this out when swapping cards between my k20d and my dad's k100). However, you can check using an exif viewer such as PhotoMe, since the camera's true number of shutter actuations is given there. Sorry if this is all info you already know, but the filename misunderstanding is somewhat common.
I guess I've proven my self as just a 'commoner'- Cuchulainn you were right- I was looking at the file #'s and not the exif data. I checked exif data on PhotoMe and the actuations only jumped by 100, undoubtedly test shots.

sorry everybody

06-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinfox203 Quote
I guess I've proven my self as just a 'commoner'- Cuchulainn you were right- I was looking at the file #'s and not the exif data. I checked exif data on PhotoMe and the actuations only jumped by 100, undoubtedly test shots.

sorry everybody
For an example; So what if you really did have over 7000 actuations...that is still relatively low on a used K200d. Not much of a resale value between that and 2200. Less than 1000 actuations is what can get you some resale value.

Also, why are you worried about the resale value on a camera that you just sunk $340 into, even if it had 500 actuations? You ain't gettin' that money back.....

Last edited by PinarelloOnly; 06-05-2010 at 07:22 PM.