Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
That darn LBA attacks again....

Went to the camera store to have an old photo restored. Of course I had to wander around... In the clearance case there was a Tamron 90mm f/2.5 AF lens.... For only $99.00 needless to say it came home with me. At this point should I mention that I just bought the Pentax 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens... Overkill I know... But a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.... Also known as I fell off the wagon (AGAIN!!!)

Stephanie

08-05-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a good deal! Would have done the same. Can't have too many macros. Love the DFA100. Would still take a Tamron 90. Almost bought a Sigma 600 mirror lens for $99 this week. Only thing stopping me was the lack of A contacts on lens mount. Was the lens needed? No, sold one years ago (Olympus mt.) Thought it would be fun. LBA is tough to control. Even have some of Adams LBA bumper stickers.
thanks
barondla
08-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

ahahaha! Funny stuff, I just got a Vivitar 90/2.8 the other day. MF, and it takes 2.75 full turns to go from infinity to 1:1. fun! :P

Good thing though is that Tamron sure found a good home eh? :P
08-05-2007, 10:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crttr Quote
Went to the camera store to have an old photo restored. Of course I had to wander around... In the clearance case there was a Tamron 90mm f/2.5 AF lens.... For only $99.00 needless to say it came home with me. At this point should I mention that I just bought the Pentax 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens... Overkill I know... But a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.... Also known as I fell off the wagon (AGAIN!!!)

Stephanie
I take it this is a different lens than the Tamron SP AF 90mm f2.8 macro lens right? I own the macro lens and I thought I got a good deal at three times what you paid for yours.
I love the tamron lenses, but just today I was day dreaming about buying the Pentax 100mm f2.8 macro myself. Not that I need it...but since when does that have anything to do with buying a lens once you have the basics covered?
I've also bought a few old screw mount manual lenses in the past couple weeks. They are fun to work with. But I haven't had any use with the green button and k10d working with them. I have to do my calculations and guess the exposure and then check. I'm still working on it and I plan on posting about it after I have more time to experiment.
Oops sorry to go off on a tangent Stephanie. Congrats on your new lens. I'll be keeping my eye peeled for your photos from your new lens.

08-06-2007, 05:16 AM   #5

Original Poster
No this one was discontinued in 1996 and has an original price tag of $399.95. Its main purpose was as a portrait lens with a minimum focusing distance of .39m (a little over a foot) and a Max Maginification of 1:2. What I really like about it vs the Pentax is that it has a focus delimination switch that splits the focusing distance to either near or far about 1/2 through the range. This lens seems to acquire a very fast AF. I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces but will let you know when I do.

Steph
08-07-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Stephanie-
Where in Oklahoma are you? I live in Norman. Did you get the lens at Epperson? I noticed in your profile that you had a Sigma 500 f4.5 lens. Is it one of the older ones or newer ones and how do you like it.
Kent
08-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Tamron

Stephanie
When I used Canon I had the Tamron 90 f2.8 macro and it was brutally sharp..Enjoy your new toy.
08-07-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Stephanie
...but isn't that what wagons are for Steph?
Enjoy that wonderful warm feeling that LBA brings.
Grant

08-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
Stephanie-
Where in Oklahoma are you? I live in Norman. Did you get the lens at Epperson? I noticed in your profile that you had a Sigma 500 f4.5 lens. Is it one of the older ones or newer ones and how do you like it.
Kent

I'm up in Claremore (near Tulsa) and picked up at Camera Gallery in Tulsa. As for my Sigma I love it!!!! It is probably one of the older ones, I bought it used from Adorama and it is one Sharp lens. Only problem is that I wish it would Acquire faster (especially in flight shots) sometimes better to manually acquire then flip the switch.

As for wagons meant to be fallen off of, I couldn't agree more... and I have the road rash to prove it.

Happy shooting,
Steph
08-10-2007, 03:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Stephanie, new member and didn''t know what LBA meant!!!! Then woke up and realised that I've been under attack for years. Latest strike was DA* 16-50 on pre-order though I can't get one for your US prices.

Take Care

David
08-10-2007, 04:30 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Where I live, there is only one local photo shop, and it is super small. So small that they do not deal in used gear. So I am spared the temptations on that account. On top of that, the nearest large city is 300Km away. That helps too in an odd way lol.
08-11-2007, 05:55 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
Where I live, there is only one local photo shop, and it is super small. So small that they do not deal in used gear. So I am spared the temptations on that account. On top of that, the nearest large city is 300Km away. That helps too in an odd way lol.
Hi Chako,
As for your used gear problem I have some advice to keep you ensnared in LBA.... It is this little website called Ebay.... Bad me, Bad me..... OOhhh more camera gear.... Must stop..... Is that a 500mm f/4.0.... anyone have $8,000.00+ they can loan me???? Oohh, must stop, must stop.... Oh crud... It's out of my price range anyway. Need bigger camera bag, the Expidition 7 is tearing at the seams..... wonder if I can sit on it like a suitcase... hmmmm.

Hey David....
Let me know how you like your new baby. What are you planning on using it for?

Happy shooting
Steph
08-11-2007, 06:02 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Yes, I stay away from Ebay as much as possible. I prefer to always buy new unfortunately.

I did find a Tamron 2X BBAR teleconverter for my EOS system yesterday at the local pawn shop. I paid 30 for it. This was a find of biblical proportions for me lol.