Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
*ist DS "memory card error" - card won't format

I formatted an 4 GB SD card on my new Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3, then put the same card into my *ist DS. Got an alert saying "Memory card error," which I did not find surprising. What surprised me is that I am unable to reformat the card in the *ist DS. Camera's working fine. I have another card in there (one that's never been in the Panasonic) and it works fine. I was also able to take the problem card, format it in my K20D and take a photo there. So it seems to be some combination of the card and the camera.

It's not a pressing problem. As I said, I can simply use different cards. But I'm curious. Is there a way to force a card to format, sort of a low-level format for the *ist DS?

Will

06-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it because its an sdhc card? Those might not be supported by the DS.
06-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Presuming the DS supports SDHC cards, you could try putting the card into a reader and doing a format on it via your computer, and then trying to format it in camera.
I've had good success with this on the occasions that I've had a memory card error in camera.
06-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

*ist DS "memory card error" - card won't format

If I recall correctly, Pentax released a firmware upgrade to support SDHC cards. If you haven't upgraded you camera, this is the error you get.

06-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks to all of you, starting with Adam. Yes, it is an SDHC card. I could have sworn that I'd used this card in the DS before, but perhaps I'm wrong. I'll check out the firmware and see if that makes a difference. I'm trying to sell the DS and I guess I should make sure that it's got the latest firmware so the buyer doesn't have to worry about that.

Thanks, y'all.

Will
04-04-2016, 06:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Gentleman Thanks for all of your comments I was able to get my ist DL to work correctly once I got the correct SD card and also updated the firmware to 1.03.
04-05-2016, 04:39 PM   #7
Forum Member

I ran into this problem too,

Make sure that you use a non-SDHC card to upload the firmware too.

I know it sounds silly, but I used an SDHC card to try and update the firmware to read SDHC cards! Hah.,

I found an old card, updated my firmware, and the camera now reads the new cards with no problem.

Best of luck,