Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2010, 07:27 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would have to agree with most users here who have responded.

You purchase a camera on what it is advertised to do, not on a wish list you hope they will include for free after you purchase it.

While there are features I would like to see in the cameras, and improvements to functions, I honestly cannot say that pentax has failed to deliver the camera they specified, with except the K10D and full power zoom support. This was not a function that was critical in my decision but I did use the features on my PZ1 and was hoping to have them available, but no great loss.

The one thing that I think all us users would like to see, but I doubt it will happen is either a form of maintenance agreement of a nominal value per year say ~$20, where pentax would do software nods for new features, or an open source code where we could modify some applications ourselves, and creat the new features we want.

The problem I see with both these ideas is, while there are some shooters out there, I just can';t see it being a money maker for pentax because there are just not enough people that want the features. Most are very satisfied with the cameras.

I also own a K7 and I will be honest with you, when I want HD video, I will purchase a camcorder capable of taking video, not an SLR that is capable of doing HD in burst mode.

06-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Thank you Lowell I thought I was the only one who feels thats a DSLR should focus on taking pictures and there is something already known as a CAMCORDER that will take videos. I think it does a diservice to force someone to buy a DSLR that has video function if they have no intention to ever use it.
06-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
Thank you Lowell I thought I was the only one who feels thats a DSLR should focus on taking pictures and there is something already known as a CAMCORDER that will take videos. I think it does a diservice to force someone to buy a DSLR that has video function if they have no intention to ever use it.
No I think it is really a reality check on my part.

At some point there will be an EVIL camera, somewhat like the X70 or my old kodak DX7590 which is extended video capable and there will be no pure optical viewfinder, just electronic (but eye level so you can hold the camera properly)

This camera will have a purely electronic shutter capable of something stupid like 1/10,000 and offer a continuous frame rate at perhaps a 4-6MP equivelent of 60 frames per second with unlimited recording time (only the size of the 1TB chip i can put in for $50 per chip)

At that time, I might be persuaded to put down my DSLR and my camcorder, and use use one and only one camera for both, But, until that time, I will shoot stills and my wife and kids can use the video camera.
06-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think that video in dSLRs is something that can be improved in significantly. Could be used to create digital zoom without any loss of quality or, much better high iso than with other camcorders. I just think that features that can be improved on dSLRs now from a purely photographic standpoint are pretty close maxxing out.

Sure, there will be incremental improvements in high iso, maybe megapixels and auto focus, but finding that "must have feature" that makes someone sell their old camera and buy new -- I think video is where that is at. I just don't see Pentax adding this functionality to already released cameras.

06-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #20
music_lover

Well,I am going to add my five cents to the discussions:
Slr's are meant for taking Pictures, and TAKING PICTURES ONLY, and if you want Video, Buy a Camcorder.
Personally, I Think Video is a Feature that is nice to have, but if it wasn't there, there would be less picture Noize to fix in Post-Prosessing.

Pentax is a Company that has NEVER Made a Video Camera Before, THEY ONLY KNOW PHOTOGRAPHY. But Please them Credit, they are trying, and sooner or later they should have success.

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:26 PM.
06-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
I feel that saying video doesn't belong to DSLR-s is like saying professional photography doesn't belong to the digital camera field, a couple of years ago. While I agree, that Pentax is a company who never made a digital video recording device, I still cannot see why this should automatically mean, that they shouldn't improve on the video functions, at least for OSD information. Again, my biggest concern, is that Pentax won't update the K-7 or the K-x just so they can sell a new camera, with "better" video functions. Still, for full disclosure: I am not whining about me making a bad purchasing decision. I love my K-7. It is truly a great camera, I love using it.
I just hoped for something that would make it even better, and I am sad, not because Pentax failed to deliver the camera I wanted, but because I feel, that Pentax will release a new camera and won't improve upon what they already got.
06-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #22

In my opinion the people who always state that "you should buy a camcorder if one would want to shoot video" just donīt get what is so special about a dslr that is able to shoot video: it is the shallow depth of field, the main reason why we have chosen a dslr over a simple point and shoot camera for taking pictures. Right now there simply is no camcorder that can provide such a shallow dof, you just can achieve this look by getting a camcorder+35mm-adaptor, a combination that is as expensive as 2 or 3 canon 5d mkIIīs. The people raving about the video functionality mostly use this for scenic productions, which look a lot more like "movies" with the dof you get from the large sensor. If I would just need a video-device to shoot some family-videos, I agree one should get a camcorder with auto-focus. It all depends on what you plan to shoot.

And maybe the "video-sceptics" should take a look at this site: Which “Video DSLR” to buy? | Philip Bloom. Dslrīs are used on professional movie- and TV-productions, for example some shots of the series 24 or the season-finale of House! As you can see in the linked article (a guide to what dslrīs are good for video), Pentax is not mentioned with one word* (neither is olympus). Thatīs mainly because without manual control, you canīt use the camera on "professional" productions because the output canīt be calculated properly. This is just one site of many that focus mainly on video in dslrīs, and it lately hit the 10.000.000 visitors-mark. So donīt tell me there is no market for video in dslrīs!

So I understand Dandeīs frustration with Pentax, and I very much feel the same (got a k7 myself). If Pentax would have allowed manual control on their cameras with a later firmware-update, these cameras would have appeared in several video-specific comparisons between the current dslrīs with video in a time where no brand was favoured by video-people because there werenīt earlierer models to migrate from. The problem is that I fear now it is too late, as Canon already is too far ahead (2 generations?!) and many people have changed brands or not even considered Pentax for their video-productions. And I donīt think that when Pentax is going to release a new model, that this one is going to be on par with the newer models of other brands (video-wise). Pentax with all the old manual glass could have been a really interesting brand for video-people in this early days of dslr-videography.

The rising of video in dslrīs is inevitable and even today is already a huge selling-point (look at the recent ads from Canon/Nikon/Panasonic). As soon as all companies are going to realize that, itīs getting interesting on the market. I guess companies that donīt offer a competitive video-mode will face serios problems in the future. I hope Pentax isnīt one of them, because I really love Pentax

* Edit: The k7 is mentioned somewhere in the comments, but the author clarifies that "Until it gets full manual control it can’t play in the sand pit with the others. It’s a basic fundamental thing, that was also lacking on the 5DmkII when it came out". So I assume that IF Pentax would have updated the firmware with manual control, their sales would have increased by a fair amount also (as they did with the 5D)!

Last edited by dom777; 06-07-2010 at 02:55 PM.
06-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by dande Quote
. I've had some bad feelings about the lack of manual controls while in movie recording mode, but I've thought that following Canon's lead, Pentax will also release a manual mode firmware soon. But they haven't. Pentax haven't done that favor for us photo- and videographers yet, and I am close to believing, that they will never.
While Canon did release firmware for the 5d MkII owners to enable manual mode, they did not do any favours for the T1i owners and updated their cameras.

Instead they will have to upgrade to the T2i, or live with the T1i limitations of auto-everything in video. At least Pentax has aperture control.

After saying that I would love to see Pentax update the firmware, but I have no such expectations.
06-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
Please note, while saying that Canon abandoned the T1i users, that T1i did lack the needed hardware for normal video recording, also it was Canon's lowest end model, while the K-7 is the current high-end model for Pentax (obviously not considering the 645D).
Thank you dom777, I've hoped that finally someone would share the same views as I do. The K-7 could be a very serious player in the field, and still it isn't late, and they could easily drive the sales of the K-7 up, just by releasing a new firmware including manual video controls. Poorly, Philip Bloom is absolutely right, that the K-7 couldn't be compared seriously against Canon models which have manual controls (video wise). So it is really one of the most needed feature for the K-7. I hope Pentax does listen, and come up with something (as I've told earlier, even a current shutter/ISO display would help a LOT).
06-08-2010, 02:42 AM   #25
Veteran Member

YES

If I wanted to shoot video I would buy a camcorder. But I take pics so I got a camera that was easy. Love this site
06-08-2010, 04:12 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kricha6431 Quote
Pentax is a Company that has NEVER Made a Video Camera Before, THEY ONLY KNOW PHOTOGRAPHY.
That's not entirely true. When home video cameras first came out (and I'm talking about back in the days when you had to carry the record deck separately...pre-camcorder days) Pentax was one of the major innovators. I'm so old that I can remember those times, but that also means I'm so old that I've forgotten exactly what Pentax was doing different that put them at the top of the heap. I think they eventually sold their technology and concentrated on still cameras.
06-08-2010, 04:26 AM   #27
Pentaxian

We've had polls recently that asked, "How long will you wait for FF?" and "How long will you wait for improved AF?" More than either of those, I'm waiting for improved video capabilities before I upgrade my DSLR. I'm lucky in that my job and my hobby are very, very close. I shoot still pics as a hobby, but I shoot video for a living. I would love to have a DSLR that would allow me to easily switch gears and shoot a nat sound piece on wildflowers or waterfalls, for example, while I'm out shooting still pics on vacation for fun.
06-08-2010, 05:35 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
We've had polls recently that asked, "How long will you wait for FF?" and "How long will you wait for improved AF?" More than either of those, I'm waiting for improved video capabilities before I upgrade my DSLR. I'm lucky in that my job and my hobby are very, very close. I shoot still pics as a hobby, but I shoot video for a living. I would love to have a DSLR that would allow me to easily switch gears and shoot a nat sound piece on wildflowers or waterfalls, for example, while I'm out shooting still pics on vacation for fun.
+1.

As someone that makes LBA money with photos, I am acutely aware of the fact that improved video capabilities (plus improved video skills on my part) would open up new avenues of creative explorations and new opportunities to make some coin.

While I too wish that Pentax would update the K-7 to allow full manual control, I'm also a realist. Maybe there is an engineering reason why it can't be done. Maybe there isn't and they just want to maximize sales of an upcoming model - which they have every right to do. Whatever the case, I do hope that Pentax does take steps forward with their video capability.
06-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #29
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
That's not entirely true. When home video cameras first came out (and I'm talking about back in the days when you had to carry the record deck separately...pre-camcorder days) Pentax was one of the major innovators. I'm so old that I can remember those times, but that also means I'm so old that I've forgotten exactly what Pentax was doing different that put them at the top of the heap. I think they eventually sold their technology and concentrated on still cameras.

I meant they have NEVER DOWSED THEMSELVES (PENTAX) IN THE DIGITAL CAMCORDER AREA, Not some 30 - 50 year ago Cam

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:25 PM.
06-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
While Pentax does have every right to make engineering decisions solely based on sales, this is what I fear the most. As I have stated earlier, I believe that these requests are based on reality, probably the manual control is a little bit harder to do, but writing out current shutter/ISO information, cannot be hard to do.
Also, I believe (while some photographers will oppose me on this) that introducing a manual mode firmware will drive the K-7 and also the K-x sales way up. So many people interested in cinematography, who doesn't have the money for a 7D or 5DMkII, don't want the T2i.
I really hope (and still believe in) that Pentax will release some firmware update for us, videographers too.