Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dande Quote
Transit: sorry, I will try to format my replies in future better.
Thanks for your polite reply to my rather imperious suggestion
Pete

06-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #47
Inactive Account

if pentax just made an update to get full manual on the k7, and 24p, then it'd be a great cam

then on the next body they would make it do 60p 720, and 24p 1080- then canon would do something more, and pentax would follow
1 step behind

although pentax's lack of firmware update is making me think that they're just going to make a k8 which can do 24p 1080, and no 60fps
which would suck
2 steps behind

I was playing around with a 550d and a 70-200 f4 IS, very tempting...
although video on the 50 and 85mm primes really made me value IS in video shooting

so in that respect pentax wins

and in terms of manual focus feel, anything other than L series is a PITA to focus manually, so again pentax wins
Pentax glass is also sharper (for the money), and maybe has better low iso detail and high iso noise control
please please dont disappoint us pentax
everything's there except the video capabilities
06-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Do you mind if I PM you from time to time with some simple questions? I have a Kx, but I've never dismissed the video capabilities:

It's just that I didn't buy the camera for that, but would like to learn what it's capable of.
Any time Ira, I love to talk about all this stuff.
06-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
if pentax just made an update to get full manual on the k7, and 24p, then it'd be a great cam
Yes, it would take VERY little to make the K7 a formiddable movie camera. Those two small changes would make it useable, as a professional filmmaking tool.

The inclusion of higher frame rates (to me) are only useful for overcranking (i.e. slowmotion shooting) which are highly desirable, but not a dealbreaker.

Lack of 24p and lack of manual controls are a deal breaker. It's why I bought a cheap K20D on closeout, instead of a K7.

I look forward to the K8 -- as I am not hopeful that Pentax will be able to deliver 24p+manual controls in a firmware upgrade to the K7.

06-13-2010, 05:06 AM   #50
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Yes, it would take VERY little to make the K7 a formiddable movie camera. Those two small changes would make it useable, as a professional filmmaking tool.

The inclusion of higher frame rates (to me) are only useful for overcranking (i.e. slowmotion shooting) which are highly desirable, but not a dealbreaker.

Lack of 24p and lack of manual controls are a deal breaker. It's why I bought a cheap K20D on closeout, instead of a K7.

I look forward to the K8 -- as I am not hopeful that Pentax will be able to deliver 24p+manual controls in a firmware upgrade to the K7.
I still hope that besides introducing a new camera, Pentax will release some video improvements for K-7. But the question is again: than what will sell the new K8 (or whatever)?