Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Hard to say without the EXIF info. Could you repost without stripping that off? Presumably the program you used to resize did this? Like maybe you used Photoshop's "save for web" option? Don't do that; use the resize fucntion, or better yet, as I said, don't resize at all and let picasaweb do it for you.
I didn't resize it or do anything to it. Is there a setting on the camera that hides that? Otherwise, Picasa did it. I'm getting ready to go out and do some more testing with a manual lens. I always take pictures using the highest "record pixels" and "quality level" should I use a different setting? I've never used "raw" and don't really know anything about it.

06-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Might have to do this another day

I just went out and shot some in manual with a manual lens. The problem is that it is very overcast today. In fact it could rain any minute. So the light is very soft and there is very little contrast. All of the pictures I took now look fine. I'll try again another day.

Thanks for your help.
06-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like you're right - picasaweb is stripping the exif. Didn't think it did that. Well, photobuket definitely doesn't, and iwhile flickr does, if you post a link to the page containing the image, flickr will display the info it stripped out.
06-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Looks like you're right - picasaweb is stripping the exif. Didn't think it did that. Well, photobuket definitely doesn't, and iwhile flickr does, if you post a link to the page containing the image, flickr will display the info it stripped out.
Actually, you've answered my question. I don't think the sensor is bad. Let me play around with the camera for a few days and I'll get back with you if I don't figure it out.

Thanks, Joel

06-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Does your camera have optical DOF preview (I don't have the manual at hand)? If so, you can test if the aperture closes.
Set aperture to e.g. f/16 and activate optical DOF preview. You should see the image in the viewfinder go dark.
No, that is one thing this camera doesn't have and I miss it. Even my old Pentax P30 had that and it wasn't an expensive camera. I don't think that is the problem. You've all pretty well answered my question about the sensor. I don't think that is the problem either. I'm going to play around with the settings some more and do some more organized testing. I write back if I don't figure it out.

Thanks
06-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #21
Forum Member

You can change your green button function as DOF preview button.
06-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
On the K-x, it's the Green button that (optionally) operates DOF preview. But on other Pentax DSLR's, including the *ist D that the Op owns, the DOF preview is operated using the on/off switch - simply rotate it in the direction opposite what you'd do to turn the camera off (and hold it there as as long as you need). There's a circular aperture icon indicating this on the switch.

As far as I know, the only Pentax DSLR that lacks optical DOF preview entirely is the K-m/K2000.
06-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #23
Forum Member

On the K-x, it's the Green button that (optionally) operates DOF preview. But on other Pentax DSLR's, including the *ist D that the Op owns, the DOF preview is operated using the on/off switch - simply rotate it in the direction opposite what you'd do to turn the camera off (and hold it there as as long as you need). There's a circular aperture icon indicating this on the switch.

As far as I know, the only Pentax DSLR that lacks optical DOF preview entirely is the K-m/K2000.
My bad. I use my K-X and *istD interchangeably so I was mistaken. Thanks for the correction Marc.

06-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster

Wow! That works. I learned something.

Thanks again