Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2010, 03:50 AM   #1

K10 Horror Repair Question

Have a Pentax K10 DSLR. Number of years old - 4 or 5. Have just moved to Valencia, Spain. Auto - Focus seems to have broken down yesterday: whirrring sound that went on close to a minute, now camera will not auto focus, a motor noise is made but the lens itself will not physically change length in any way or focus. Had this kind of problem before: think it was called a screwdrive problem: the actual physical mechanism that focuses the lens.
I'm using : smc da 18 - 55 lens Could the problem have anything to do with that kind of lens mount or auto focus system ?
Here's the horror: still in the process of moving from New York - so my sales recipt etc is still back there in boxes not shipped yet, this time, I'm probably beyond the one year warranty limit, how does getting a Pentax repaired in Spain work anyway; Pentax has offices here in Spain .... in Barcelona; I speak no Spanish yet.
Something , huh ?
Can something like a Pentax auto focus be repaired at just a non Pentax camera repair shop? Is this a very expensive fix. Can the relatively smart person repair something like this them self ?

Any Help Would Be SOOOOO Appreciated,

Marty
(dotfur.com)

Last edited by voicelit; 06-06-2010 at 10:42 AM.
06-06-2010, 03:53 AM   #2

Original Poster
test reply from self

test test test test test test testtest test test test test test testtest test test test test test testtest test test test test test test
06-06-2010, 04:10 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi.

I am sorry for your bad luck.

The distribution and service for Pentax products en Spain is done by Reflecta.
There is a form on PENTAX ESPAA to report need for service (look for: post-venta - Servicio técnico)
Phone from Spain: 902 361 487

If you don't have a valid warranty you will have to pay for the repair.

Cheers - Klaus
06-06-2010, 04:45 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Klaus

Nice to know I'm not alone.

06-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you sure it's the camera and not the lens?

06-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #6

Original Poster
Am pretty sure it's the Camera

Not positive yet but pretty sure it's the camera. I think the smc DA 18 - 55 kit lens is still a screw drive lens but I'm still trying to firm up that feeling.

Thanks
06-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Inactive Account

What I meant was did you verify that if you Manually turn the screw drive on the lens, Does the lens focus mechanism move?

06-07-2010, 04:21 AM   #8

Original Poster
JeffJS : thanks, Tested the lens

Yea, tested the lens, manually turning the (female) screww slot does extend and retract the lens.
Strange: if I grab the screw drive screw (male) at the 4;00 position on the mount, and turn it slightly (cautiously) ever such a little bit back and forth, then remount the lens, turn the camera on, and lightly press the shutter button: the lens auto focus two or three times , extending a bit, retracting a bit: then nothing.
Wonder what about the screw drive does breakdown, and how. Is something actually broken and needs to be replaced or has something come loose that just needs to be reconnected in some way?

Thanks again,

Marty
(dotfur.com)

06-07-2010, 07:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Sounds like a stripped / broken gear - when yo manually turn the focus drive it temporarilly engages, then "unengages".

If the camera is "4-5 years old", then I don't think you need to worry about a 1 year warranty.
06-07-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Sounds like a broken gear, a missing tooth. But that is only a guess of course.

Edit: I'm too slow.
06-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by voicelit Quote
Yea, tested the lens, manually turning the (female) screww slot does extend and retract the lens.
Strange: if I grab the screw drive screw (male) at the 4;00 position on the mount, and turn it slightly (cautiously) ever such a little bit back and forth, then remount the lens, turn the camera on, and lightly press the shutter button: the lens auto focus two or three times , extending a bit, retracting a bit: then nothing.
Wonder what about the screw drive does breakdown, and how. Is something actually broken and needs to be replaced or has something come loose that just needs to be reconnected in some way?

Thanks again,

Marty
(dotfur.com)
Sounds like the drive has tossed a tooth or two on the gears. When you move it manually you re-engage the drive but as soon as it hits that spot again, dead.

Excellent condition K10d cameras can be found for around $300 and I've even seen K20d cameras for $400 (both or less). That's just something to keep in mind as you pursue a repair estimate. I think Your K10d is now a manual focus camera unless you want to invest in SDM lenses.

06-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
unless you want to invest in SDM lenses.

With the OP's bad luck the SDM will stop focusing as well

Doesn't sound like a simple DIY fix, since there'll be replacement parts involved for sure. Time to upgrade perhaps?
06-15-2010, 07:58 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks, Chip B, Jeff JS,Gimbal, darrenleow...

Sorry, was away for awhile. Yea, called some place called Reflecta in Barcelona that handles Pentax stuff here. English speaking woman on phone ( not a tech support person) said it would probably cost around 200 EU which is like around $240.00 . Whew: just to go in there and put a new little gear in there. Not far from the cost of upgrading to a K20. I love the Pentax..'cause I shoot at dog parks all day and sometimes I even have to jump in a stop a fight, I've actually just drop the camera or had it wind up under me in midst of some wild tussle. I just love the tank like build and weather resistant quality that it has.
I'll have to find some work here soon or come up with some Ocean's 13 type plan to wind up with a new or repaired camera .
Here in Valencia Spain, I'm living in a part of town that's full of Gypsies - gitanos: you'd think in some other world that these people would be perfect for a cheap repair.
Yea, I was wondering if the parts : like the gear: is specific to Pentax. Have checked a number of sites (hard to find) for images of what's going on inside there.

Thanks again,

Marty

Marty
06-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by voicelit Quote
Thanks, Chip B, Jeff JS,Gimbal, darrenleow...

Sorry, was away for awhile. Yea, called some place called Reflecta in Barcelona that handles Pentax stuff here. English speaking woman on phone ( not a tech support person) said it would probably cost around 200 EU which is like around $240.00 . Whew: just to go in there and put a new little gear in there. Not far from the cost of upgrading to a K20. I love the Pentax..'cause I shoot at dog parks all day and sometimes I even have to jump in a stop a fight, I've actually just drop the camera or had it wind up under me in midst of some wild tussle. I just love the tank like build and weather resistant quality that it has.
I'll have to find some work here soon or come up with some Ocean's 13 type plan to wind up with a new or repaired camera .
Here in Valencia Spain, I'm living in a part of town that's full of Gypsies - gitanos: you'd think in some other world that these people would be perfect for a cheap repair.
Yea, I was wondering if the parts : like the gear: is specific to Pentax. Have checked a number of sites (hard to find) for images of what's going on inside there.

Thanks again,

Marty

Marty
Marty, 200 Euros is a far cry from a good K20 over here in Europe. You shouldn't forget, that you have to pay VAT on anything, be it a good or the service.

Ben
06-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Used K10's in England are fetching 300 Euros on a good day, and the K20 fetches around 550 Euros .

Check the Pentax User Group , they're GB and Europe based rather than USA and International.