Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-10-2010, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by mnseawa Quote
Do you use them for the rear 2.5 or 2.7 LCD?

If you use them do you use the thin plastic ones or the more permanent anti-shatter glass ones?

Thanks
Mike
I use to use good LCD protectors for my K20D. I managed even with the protector to get a very slight scratch (if I can even call it that). I also found a slight leak on the bottom of the K20Ds LCD cover. Thats the key folks the K20D and others LCDs already have a protective cover. The LCD rests on 4 foam strips that performs the weather-sealing. Many LCD covers have dust behind them, ever wonder how it got there when the LCD is sealed around the frame, it got through the two-way tape that holds the LCD cover on.

The pre-shaped double sided tape cost about .90cents, the cover about $1.80 from Pentax. Now tell me whats a better deal than that? And its super easy to replace. Just carefully and slightly heat up the tape area with a blow-dryer and gently pull up on one corner with a one inch suction cup, until its up enough to insert something gently and carefully to pull it up and swing it open like a door, then off. You clean off the old tape, clean the tape flange with alcohol (carefully not to drip any) apply the new two-way tape (take your time), make sure the LCD is clean of dust and apply your new cover. I can do the job in about 10 minuets or less with my K20D. In fact I ordered a few! Shipping was like $12 so I laughed with the Pentax parts lady and said heck may as well get my monies worth out of shipping so just send me two more of each. So now I have two backup covers and tape ready if this new one breaks or what-ever. You can't beat it. Super easy to install as the tape is not really that strong; look at the tape in the pics, look at how thin and small it is, there is hardly anything holding the cover down and its why dust many times is seen behind the cover, its not really for weather-sealing... but you want it tight I would say.

Would you know now I don't care about the LCD cover, I can't tell you if its scratched or not because I am not looking for it or worried. If there is one it must be small... the LCD cover and tape is around $2.70 plus shipping and some work, why put anything else on. Also as a side benefit you know you have a well sealed LCD cover. Also those covers are tough, it would take a sharp blow with a pointed object to crack the LCD cover enough to get to the LCD itself. And best of all, nothing looks as nice as the original cover Its there so you can't improve it by putting something on it. In fact the weight of glass on the cover could pull on the tape harder and make it not seal as well. There really is not much tape holding that cover down. All cameras I have looked into are made this way. IMO so the tech can quickly replace your cover, its known that the LCD cover is going to get marked up and so forth.

One show-stopper. You have to be a do it yourself handy guy/gal. If your not comfortable doing this don't. Its not that important. But again. You don't want to touch the LCD itself as its hard to clean, you don't want to put the sealing on wrong, or get liquid down on the LCD itself... so you have to know to use a q-tip when its needed...

BTW pulling off old LCD cover protectors can pull on the LCD cover... could happen, might be why mine developed a leak after a bit of time. I was replacing those covers every month or so... Again look at that tape. Now this may be boarder line alarmist but... just a thought about pulling off LCD protectors.

Last edited by jamesm007; 06-11-2010 at 05:05 PM. Reason: BTW
06-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
BTW pulling off old LCD cover protectors can pull on the LCD cover...
This is yet another positive for the LCD covers I reference earlier. They only have adhesive around the border areas. Which is surprisingly strong, yet quite easy to remove.
06-11-2010, 12:34 AM   #18
Inactive Account

I have the ACMAXX for my K10D - probably an earlier version but stil a nice procetction that covers both top- and rear display.
06-11-2010, 01:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mnseawa Quote
Do you use them for the rear 2.5 or 2.7 LCD?

If you use them do you use the thin plastic ones or the more permanent anti-shatter glass ones?
I don't use it. And can't see any reason for starting using it.

06-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by freeload Quote
I have the ACMAXX for my K10D - probably an earlier version but stil a nice procetction that covers both top- and rear display.
The rear LCD cover is the same as the above, its polycarbonate. You can't smash it like they show, thats glass or something. Its also very resistant to scratching, and is really the same as the above protector but thicker. I have an old one and you can't bend it enough to break it, its very strong as it was designed to protect the LCD and is part of the strong Pentax Polycarbonate shell.

Its personal choice if you want to use one or not, I suppose more protection is like more armor on a vehicle. But the LCD protector on the K-7 or K10D is super tough. Mine is not scratched yet after one year of heavy use on it. I Just don't want folks to think the LCD will smash like that picture in the advertisement, it won't. I may even do a video showing how strong the cover and Polycarbonate is.

Again... use one if you want the more amour you have the better if you feel as such.... personal choice.
06-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another thumbs up for the acmaxx protectors... They are more durable than any other I've run on to. Plus, I look at it this way, what if I want to sell my camera in two years and upgrade to Pentax's FF? Well, the better shape (visually) my camera is in = higher resale value. Therefore, I treat all of my belongings with great care (I'm actually naturally that way).
06-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got a GGS glass LCD protector on my K-x for several reasons:

~I'm very clumsy
~I wear the camera on a neck strap against my coat - zippers kill LCDs
~I have to clean oil off the LCD with almost every shot I take - skin oils like that are harsh to any surface, not to mention the sheer number of times I'll have scoured the thing by the time I sell the camera ;P
~I want to preserve the resale value of the camera
~Klutzy, did I mention that?

The claim is that the cover is made of 'optical glass' (who knows what they mean by that :P) but certainly it didn't make the LCD dimmer and actually helped glare. For 12.00 bucks it can't be beat

06-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #23
Veteran Member

probably an earlier version but stil a nice protection that covers both top- and rear display.

Oh I forgot I do use a thick regular plastic sheet protector for the top LCD just because I had it there when I was using them and still can't tell its there (took me several tries to get it perfect (almost) but yes I do use a cover on the top LCD, just not the rear, for the reason given above... I do use filters on all my lens but one. As I believe they add protection to front glass. Only my DA18-55mm WR do I have no filter becuase I use this lens in snow and rain and the Pentax super-protect coating does work. Every time a few drops of water would get on the filter it was a mess to clean. So I took the filter off and it wipes clean with your shirt if need be, so its coating is much better for all weather use compared to lens filters.

Again to repeat myself, I don't use one on the rear because I have backups or I would be using one to. If you are hard on your LCD yes get one. Even Nikon gives an extra cover for PRO use, so you don't have to change the LCD cover... its personal and up to you and your use...