Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #1

LCD Screen Protectors: Yes or No?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Do you use them for the rear 2.5 or 2.7 LCD?

If you use them do you use the thin plastic ones or the more permanent anti-shatter glass ones?

Thanks
Mike

06-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never seen a reason for them. The LCD is either against my face, in my bag, or on a tripod.
06-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This could have been my LCD screen when I hit it against something. Luckily the protector took all the pain.

06-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I bought a GGS glass one for my K7. I tend not to care for the film like ones or ultra thin plastic ones. They tend to scratch or don't really provide real protection.

The GGS is glass so it's ability to stay clear and not become a hazy mess to look through is huge, plus because it's not directly against the LCD (yes it's small but it's space none the less), it provides at least some actual bump protection.

06-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a glass one for my K20D also. With my K100D I think my nose kept pressing up on a particular spot of the screen and eventually forced out of position some foam/double-sided tape that was between the actual LCD and the plastic screen cover. With this glass screen protector its the foam of the screen protector that's getting pressed by my nose. Sometimes it absorbs and then leaks facial oil onto the screen display, but its not permanent and hardly noticeable unlike what happened with my K100D. Also, protection against any accidental impacts and scratches for ~$10 seems like a good deal to me.
06-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a Delkin 2.5" pop up metal shade on mine. Here is a link to one on Amazon.
Amazon.com: Delkin Devices DU2.5-M BLK Universal Pop-Up Shade for 2.5-Inch LCDs (Black): Camera & Photo
It helps a bit in bright light when trying to read the rear LCD. It has a thin plastic protection on the mounting portion. The pop up metal bit is removable for when you don't want it. The metal cover doesn't mind nose grease. I bought it as a light shade rather than a protector.
06-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't use them, and the only LCD screen I have broken is on an old Pentax P&S when I dropped my K10D on top of it in the bag (I was being careless)

My thinking is, and this can be different for every one, that if I do something to break the screen, It will brake protector or not., I just don't see them offering a lot of protection

as for scratches, again, I find it hard to figure out how to do this, the bottom plate of the camera takes a beating especially from the rivits on jeans, but not the back

06-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I probably would have bought one in the beginning for my K-7. But, after hours of hiking in the forest with my camera hanging from my neck, the screen has spent lots of time smashing up against my plastic chest clip. Now it's all scratched to hell. It doesn't really matter though. I can still see the histogram and preview images just fine, especially indoors.

My camera is a tool--not a baby.
06-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mnseawa Quote
Do you use them for the rear 2.5 or 2.7 LCD?

If you use them do you use the thin plastic ones or the more permanent anti-shatter glass ones?

Thanks
Mike
Yes, on absolutely, everything...
Just look at your screen after a year of use, not to mention the misshaps.
It costs next to nothing for a HQ screen protector now(custom fit) and so it only makes sense that we invest in protecting our equipment.
06-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I treat my K20D with kid gloves, but somehow I managed to scratch the LCD screen. To be honest, before this thread, I was only dimly aware of protective screens. I wish I would have paid more attention.

Jer
06-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #11
hcc
Pentaxian

I do some bushwalking and I carry my camera with the neckstrap around the neck: the LCD rubs on my jacket and scratches are unavoidable.

I use a plastic screen protector that I made up from a large LCD screen protector cut to piece. I costs nothing and it works preventing any small scratch on the LCD.
06-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I treat my K20D with kid gloves, but somehow I managed to scratch the LCD screen. To be honest, before this thread, I was only dimly aware of protective screens. I wish I would have paid more attention.
This is the one I use:

It's multicoated, feels like glass and looks amazing on our Pentax camera's(cut to fit with branding).
Plus... it only costs something ridiculous like 7 US dollars on eBay.
06-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #13
Banned

I used to be concerned about this LCD scratching issue, but somehow when I got my K10D I didn't get any protector. Have been using it for 3 years now and there are no scratches. Even though sometimes the LCD gets in direct contact with my coat zipper. So I don't see any point in these protectors. On the other hand I am pretty careful with my equipment. So in the end it depends on how much your equipment needs protection from your handling
06-08-2010, 01:13 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I use this one:

ACMAXX 3.0 HARD LCD ARMOR PROTECTOR Pentax K7 K-7 DA AF - eBay (item 260607443789 end time Jun-20-10 23:45:22 PDT)

Makes LCD more visible under daylight and I clean LCD's from my nose grease more securely now. Never happened to me but certainly protects both LCDs from scratches, accidental bumps. So I think they are necessary.
06-08-2010, 03:43 AM   #15

I use one of the glass type ones on both my K20D & K7. They fit perfect andwork great! I too use my camera as a tool, but do I mistreat it, NO. I dont let my automotive tools rust or abuse them, I take care of them so they will last. I do the same with my camera??