Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2007, 06:43 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
I'm just going to have to sit down and reread the Pentax Browser and Laboratory manuals very thoroughly, and go through everything that's in the help section.

Again, thanks to everyone who replied, I really do appreciate it very much.

I'll keep you all posted.

Mike

The manual says Photo Browser copies files. I do not see an option to delete files or move files in the transfer section.

08-08-2007, 12:18 AM   #17
PDL
Pentaxian

When you "copy" the files - do you right click?

It is very easy to "move" them - which does delete from the source. Your previous answer was somewhat confusing.

PDL
08-08-2007, 10:33 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
When you "copy" the files - do you right click?

It is very easy to "move" them - which does delete from the source. Your previous answer was somewhat confusing.

PDL
PDL, no, I don't right click on the file.

As soon as the new file appears, I simply drag & drop it into my documents.

Step by step, this is exactly what I do:

The computer is running with no other applications open. The camera is off and connected to the computer via the USB cord, then, as per the instructions on page 13 of the Pentax Photo Browser 3 operating manual, I:

1.) Click my computer from the start menu.
2.) Double-click the removable disk icon. (left-click)
3.) Double-click the DCIM icon. (left-click) The camera images are in this file.
4.) Drag & drop the newly created folder to the my documents folder.

I then turn the camera off, and unplug it from the computer.

All the images I have taken are now in this new folder, but if I try to view them on my camera, I get the message, "No Image." This didn't happen the first two times I uploaded images, but started the third time I did so. As far as I can remember, I haven't changed any settings that I'm aware of on either the camera, or in the software.

Sorry if my previous answer sounded confusing.

I haven't had the time to really sit down and trouble-shoot this problem, but plan to do so in the next few days.

Thanks again for your response. I do appreciate the help.

Mike
08-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #19

Have you ejected the removable disc icon before unplugging from the computor?

08-08-2007, 08:39 PM   #20

If you have a card reader, try using the card reader instead of the computer and after transferring (copying and not moving) it, check with your camera to see if the images are still there. I remember I had defective memory card which can hold images written to it by the camera, but after access by my PC the camera reports an memory card error. I just return the card and got a different one and everything it ok.
08-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eman Quote
If you have a card reader, try using the card reader instead of the computer and after transferring (copying and not moving) it, check with your camera to see if the images are still there. I remember I had defective memory card which can hold images written to it by the camera, but after access by my PC the camera reports an memory card error. I just return the card and got a different one and everything it ok.
No, I don't have a card reader. I was going to buy one to use with my Kodak P880, as without one it would upload images at the rate of about 400 per hour. One day I shot 219 images, and they took 31 minutes to upload.

The Pentax K100D seems to upload the entire file, no matter how big in seconds!

Would there be any advantage to using a card reader with the K100D?

As for the memory card, the one in my K100D was taken out of my Kodak P880; I wonder if that could be causing the problem in any way?

I'll get a new one just to eliminate the possibility.

Let me ask this question: How many of you actually leave your images on your memory card after uploading them to your computer, and/or saving them to a disk?

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Mike
08-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I have several cards and I try to rotate them through the camera. I leave the images on them and format them before use.

08-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #23

I use the camera to do a format on the card after every upload to the computer.
09-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After almost a month, an update.

To recap:

After I would take a batch of photos, I would upload them to my computer, but could no longer review them on my K100D, because when I tried, the camera gave me the message, "No Image."

As it turns out, the images were still in the camera, and not deleted, yet the camera was telling me, "No Image."

I discovered this when, after upoading a batch of photos recently, I did not format the card. I took another batch of photos, and when I uploaded the new batch to my computer, there, right next to the new batch was the old batch, already saved in my computer.

So, the camera was telling me there were no images to review after I uploaded a new batch to my computer, but the frame counter was staying at the same number, and the camera was not deleting anything unless I would format the card.

Why it tells me, "No Image," when there actually are images, I don't know, but at least I know the images are not completely gone.

This is a bit of a relief.

I just thought I'd let you all know.

By the way, the kit lens isn't that bad in my opinion.

Mike
09-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #25

Why don't you use a card reader, then you don't need any software?

Tom
09-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #26
Forum Member

PDL,

I'm confused here. Why would you re-format your SD card? I've taken over 10K photos with my K100 and we're somewhere around 9K with the K10. I've got one 4G two 2G and two 1G cards and never had an issue over writting files on them. They follow the fat32 system just like a hard drive or any other storage device or at least that's what I thought up until I read this post.

I've also had an issue where my wife accidentally deleted around 30 photos from an important event. She had used "move" in windows explorer to get the images from the card to the computer. The card had not been re-written to yet so obviously the files were still there. Of course, if you viewed it with windows explorer it showed 0 files. I have an file un-delete feature that came with Fix-It Utilities and was able to rescue the entire batch from the supposed blank card. If I had reformatted, those images would have been gone forever.

Splain Please what this reformat is suppose to accomplish,

Chuck
09-06-2007, 05:38 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I was always told that reformatting the card is the best/safest way to delete files off the card... so that is how I have always cleared my cards after uploading the pics onto the computer.
09-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #28
Forum Member

No Image yet files still in Camera

Mike,

Vista or XP or Win98?

I have a feeling, hunch, something another that the camera software is flagging those files somehow. The camera doesn't show them to you because they are flagged after downloading to your computer. Go to WalMart and buy a USB 2.0 SD card reader or better yet invest in another SD card that comes with an easy to use USB reader. Using that, copy the pictures to your computer using windows explorer and put the card back in the camera. 10-1 you'll see them on the camera.

My two belated cents,

Chuck
09-06-2007, 08:05 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
Why don't you use a card reader, then you don't need any software?

Tom
I didn't know this.

I'm only into digital photography one year, and so far have only used the software that came with either my Kodak P880 or the K100D.

This is why I love forums like this; by talking about a problem, I just got some good advice.

Thanks, ennacac.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Bokeh; 09-06-2007 at 08:13 PM.
09-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chuck Lee Quote
Mike,

Vista or XP or Win98?

I have a feeling, hunch, something another that the camera software is flagging those files somehow. The camera doesn't show them to you because they are flagged after downloading to your computer. Go to WalMart and buy a USB 2.0 SD card reader or better yet invest in another SD card that comes with an easy to use USB reader. Using that, copy the pictures to your computer using windows explorer and put the card back in the camera. 10-1 you'll see them on the camera.

My two belated cents,

Chuck
Thanks to you too, Chuck. By the way, I have Windows XP.

I'll try this as soon as I get a chance.

I really appreciate the advice from all who have replied.

Mike