Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How long will you wait for improved Video?
I've already left for improved Video with another brand. 22.20%
Until the end of 2010. 55.49%
Until the end of 2011.   00%
If I leave Pentax, it will be for other reasons. 2224.18%
I have no plans of leaving. 6268.13%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
on the contrary, my iphone replaced an entire bag full of ipod's, psp's, diaries, and other rubbish
Clark, that's fine. But I don't want an iphone or anything else built in to my camera.
Oh I understand that everyone else is doing video so Pentax has to have it to remain competitive. But Pentax should be working on improving still photos and if improved stills brings improved video along with it, fine. I just don't want the engineering/design teams concentrating on improving video to the detriment of still photo capabilities.

CW

Last edited by straightshooter; 06-09-2010 at 10:47 AM.
06-10-2010, 06:32 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I was about to start a thread / poll of my own

How long will we wait to see johnmflores banned
, but I won;t go that far, yet.....

Like many others to me this seems like a deliberate trolling attempt, it does not offer anything constructive to the forums.

you do not even offer any indication of what you mean by improved in any of your posts. every camera pentax has released has been improved over the previous model it replaces, therefore exactly what are you looking for.

Let's stop the bashing for the same of bashing. Please

As for the performance of pentax products and thier limitations, I have identified, at least with my own photography the biggest limiting factor. The person behind the viewfinder, i.e. ME
Lowell, sorry to see that you view this as bashing. It was not intended that way. All I am trying to do is put some numbers to some of the most discussed issues in these forums and the issues that many either consider leaving for or have already left.

If anything, if you look at the results, the noisy arguments about FF, AF, etc appear to generate more heat than light. Most folks here are happy with Pentax.

As for the proposed poll, I'd be interested in the results!
06-10-2010, 06:38 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Until the end of 2010 for me. Video opens a new window of opportunity for me. Like someone else here, I recently did a short video project with the K-x that paid for that little camera many times over. More importantly, it got me thinking down a new avenue of creativity.

At this point, I'm likely to see if Pentax improves video in their next release. If not, I'm already looking hard at the Panny GH-1 and its successor. Throw an adapter on, and I can still use my Pentax glass!

I'd much rather stick with one brand though - no need to waste time in yet another gadget forum!
06-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Lowell, sorry to see that you view this as bashing. It was not intended that way. All I am trying to do is put some numbers to some of the most discussed issues in these forums and the issues that many either consider leaving for or have already left.

If anything, if you look at the results, the noisy arguments about FF, AF, etc appear to generate more heat than light. Most folks here are happy with Pentax.

OK I have voted that I have no plans on leaving.

While I understand that the opportunity of video opens up new avenues, it also closes some.

The real point is, that if you are going to do both vidieo and stills, you need equipment for both, and people dedicated to both formats. COnsider a wedding. There is a requirement for stills and a requirement for video. Until the video requirement gets to 10mP per frame or something like that, you will simply not pull stills out of video so the equipment does not necessairly need to be the same. Sure it is nice to consider an IL-video camera, but the fact is, videos will almost always remain variable focal length lenses, with motorized zooms (yes the old PZ lenses add some interest here) because you want smooth zoom, and continual focus. you cant stop in the middle to change lenses or zoom with your feet smoothly, so you need a zoom lens for all but a few possible applications.

the two requirements are just too separate. ALso on video, you do not always want the same shutter speeds for each frame. Blurred motion on video is actually preferred over high shutter speeds where you see the image jump at each frame. I have seen this even years ago just photograph a drum in a pipe and drum band, with a high shutter speed and you will see what I mean.

While video does have its uses, I think it is much better to dedicate a camera design specifically around it as opposed to doing band-aid patches to make an SLR do it.

06-10-2010, 07:27 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Video is relatively new in DSLR's. That includes everybody, not just Pentax. I'm sure the video quality will improve in future models but I own a DSLR for it's still photo shooting. I already own a digital camcorder and I use that for any video I shoot, which isn't very much. Whenever I buy my next camera body, I can assume it will have video capability. I'll probably use it a little more than I presently use my camcorder, but not much. If they dropped the video altogether (which I doubt will happen), it wouldn't matter to me. Better yet, forget the video and knock a hundred bucks off the price.
06-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

I've read through the thread at your reasoning for these series of polls, but I believe the underlying motive is either to elicit a strong response (defense of the product that is the reason the forum exists) or to drive people away from Pentax (for whatever the reason is). Otherwise, I think you would have formated a more constructive format for poling how aspects of the product could improve with future releases.
06-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

John, the problem is, that ALL of your polls omitt the positive answers and ALL of your polls thus do not reflect anything meaningful. You won't generate any valuable result by giving these biased choices.

This is not only a problem of scale with a non-existing statistic value, it much more abou the your choices, which only allow negative answers.

Ben
06-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #38
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The real point is, that if you are going to do both vidieo and stills, you need equipment for both, and people dedicated to both formats.
Zooming in, power zoom or not, is going to look completely awful and designate your video work to about the same standard as the brides dad filming with a handicam

zooming effectively is a difficult skill to master, much better would be to set up a dolly and 'zoom' using that
or better yet, shoot with 5/6 cameras at different angles

zooming looks awful 99% of the time

and i'm pretty sure you can set the shutter speed to whatever you like- or at least on canon SLR's you can...

06-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
John, the problem is, that ALL of your polls omitt the positive answers and ALL of your polls thus do not reflect anything meaningful. You won't generate any valuable result by giving these biased choices.

This is not only a problem of scale with a non-existing statistic value, it much more abou the your choices, which only allow negative answers.

Ben
I'm confused.

If the polls are so negatively biased and only allow negative answers, then why do most people respond "I have no plans of leaving."??? I must be doing a bad job of sowing discontent and insurrection because most people are seeing right through my evil plans.

Look at the possible answers again - they are on a time scale, from past (I've already left) to the near future (2010, 2011), and "I have no plans of leaving". "For other reasons" was added to capture those that might leave but not for the reason stated in the poll question.

Why are people choosing to see the glass as half empty? It's just a camera. It's just a camera company. What are we, photographers or camera owners?

Maybe I should post the following poll:

Do you love Pentax?
1. Yes.
2. Very much so.
3. Undoubtedly.
4. More than I love some of my relatives.

Your failed fomenter...
06-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh and one more thing....if anything, these polls are suggesting to those doomsayers ("Pentax must release a FF or they will die", "Pentax must improve AF or everyone will leave", etc...) that their bluster is just that, bluster. In this group, at least, there's a very loyal customer base.
06-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #41

Do you love Pentax?
1. Yes.
2. Very much so.
3. Undoubtedly.
I voted #4.
06-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #42
Inactive Account

I'm confused.

Do you love Pentax?
1. Yes.
2. Very much so.
3. Undoubtedly.
5. All of the above.

I'm voting #5

CW
06-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Really, as many I don't expect to use video on a DSLR. If it means getting better IQ I'd rather get rid of video capability altogether. So my answer is I'll never wait for better video. I suspect YOU are anxious to get it though. We all have our preferences I guess.
06-11-2010, 01:00 AM   #44
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think video is a novelty and as such only belongs on entry level cameras at best. I don't like paying for UNWANTED CRAP bundled with a product that has different purpose. A serious camera shouldn't come with extraneous features.
06-11-2010, 01:24 AM   #45
Veteran Member

The rest of this life as well as the other lifes to come I totally don't care about video; and I even care less about video in a photocamera.

And yes, I know it can't be stopped