Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How long will you wait for improved Video?
I've already left for improved Video with another brand. 22.20%
Until the end of 2010. 55.49%
Until the end of 2011.   00%
If I leave Pentax, it will be for other reasons. 2224.18%
I have no plans of leaving. 6268.13%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is an old joke in which a man walks up to a beautiful woman and asks, "Would you sleep with me for a million dollars?" The woman thinks for a minute, blushes, and says, "Why, yes...I think I would." So the man says, "Would you sleep with me for ten bucks?" The woman gets angry and says, "NO! What kind of girl do you think I am?" The man replies, "We've already established that. Now we're just haggling over price." That joke is a perfect example for this discussion. If you've chosen to shoot digital over film, we've already established what kind of photographer you are. Now we're just haggling over frame rates. Digital photography IS video. That's why we can only see it on a monitor of some sort.

06-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
... we're just haggling over frame rates. Digital photography IS video. That's why we can only see it on a monitor of some sort.
LOL, grabbing popcorn
06-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #48
JHD
Veteran Member

If you've chosen to shoot digital over film, we've already established what kind of photographer you are. Now we're just haggling over frame rates. Digital photography IS video. That's why we can only see it on a monitor of some sort.
There's a hole in the bucket of your arguement. Digital 'photo' graphy isn't video any more the film 'photo' graphy is motion picture. Moreover having a monitor is NOT a prerequisit or a necessity for viewing digital 'photo' graphy. That's why you final statement is emphatically wrong like the rest of your arguement.
06-11-2010, 07:35 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Oh and one more thing....if anything, these polls are suggesting to those doomsayers ("Pentax must release a FF or they will die", "Pentax must improve AF or everyone will leave", etc...) that their bluster is just that, bluster. In this group, at least, there's a very loyal customer base.

I think that this is the overwhelming message that your polls have shown, John. While we all wish for advances in the various areas of photography, the vast majority of us will choose to stick with Pentax. If that isn't brand loyalty, I don't know what is.

06-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
There's a hole in the bucket of your arguement. Digital 'photo' graphy isn't video any more the film 'photo' graphy is motion picture. Moreover having a monitor is NOT a prerequisit or a necessity for viewing digital 'photo' graphy. That's why you final statement is emphatically wrong like the rest of your arguement.

Wrong. Film photography IS motion picture photography if you do it on 35mm film. To get beyond that, we have to shoot medium format or cut film. That, my friend, is a fact.
06-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #51

Photos: Gallery
Digital photography IS video. That's why we can only see it on a monitor of some sort.
Beg to differ. All but 2 of the photos in my cubicle (below, please excuse the mess) were captured digitally. I don't need a monitor to see them.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
06-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote
Beg to differ. All but 2 of the photos in my cubicle (below, please excuse the mess) were captured digitally. I don't need a monitor to see them.
Show me the originals, THEN we'll talk. If you're not using some sort of monitor, you'll be staring at a memory card.
06-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wrong. Film photography IS motion picture photography if you do it on 35mm film. To get beyond that, we have to shoot medium format or cut film. That, my friend, is a fact.
Don't confuse the medium with the message. A pencil and a piece of paper can be used to produce a political manifesto or a technical diagram or a figure drawing. The medium is incidental; more important is the mindset of the creator.

06-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Show me the originals, THEN we'll talk. If you're not using some sort of monitor, you'll be staring at a memory card.
Really you're delivering an hideously poor argument. Anyone can of course shoot a memory card full, have the post view on the rear LCD off, never chimp, and then place the full card straight in a photo printer and print all the images from the card to paper. Not that that proves that digital image capture isn't video, it is and it isn't, it depends on the process and the intent.

I could cobble all the images I've shot together over the last 30 years at 25FPS as a movie and I will have a video. If I print out an old movie film or one of my recently captured video's frame by frame then I'll have a set of photographic prints.

Personally the crossover of motion capture into still capture cameras is a convenience that I find I'm using more than I expected but not what I'd call any way practical. I'd rather Pentax concentrate on making a better still camera than concentrating on video issues.

Last edited by distudio; 06-11-2010 at 08:36 AM.
06-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #55
Veteran Member

This is an age old discussion. The obvious difference between film/movie/video on the one hand and still photography on the other is not about technical details. It is not about film versus digital.

The difference is simply, that still photography captures and freezes a moment. It is a cut-out of the streaming time.

Video/film documents a change over time, movements, whatever.

Whether the imaging technology is digital or analogue has nothing to do with it.

Ben
06-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #56

Photos: Gallery
Quote Originally posted by TaoMaas
QuoteQuote:
Digital photography IS video. That's why we can only see it on a monitor of some sort.
Still beg to differ, but I do like the joke...
06-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Guys, this isn't even open to discussion. Digital photography is video technology. As I tried to point out earlier, to argue otherwise is to say that 35mm film changes it's physical nature when it's loaded into an SLR instead of a movie camera. It does not. It's the approach and intent that changes...not the media. And, no, taking the memory card and loading it directly into a printer doesn't change the basic technology of the capture media either. lol It's still essentially a video file that's been captured on magnetic media. I'm not arguing that video is going to replace still photography because I don't believe that. I think still photography is a much more elegant, moving means of communication than video overall. But....digital photography and video are intertwined. So, before we see FF Pentax cameras or maybe even improved AF capabilities, I believe we're going to see expanded video functions on our DSLRs. Here's how easy that's going to be for Pentax to build that into their cameras. Take a look at this: [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aJzYioSDi4&playnext_from=TL&videos=mGXHonD75Hc[/YT]

This video is from a 5 megapixel, fixed focus, fixed focal-length camera that can be submerged to 180' and can produce full HD video...all for under $300. Throw out the cost of the camera, lens, and underwater housing...and ask yourself how cheap it would be for Pentax to build this capability into a DSLR.
06-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #58

I have no problems with my KX's video mode. It's better than the video mode in my previous "bridge camera" (Panasonic FZ50) and much better than the video mode in my previous Olympus DSLR (especially since it didn't have a video mode). I don't need 1080 resolution. If it's ever offered in a future Pentax body that catches my eye (and wallet) like the KX did, then I'd buy it, but I'm satisfied with the 720p on the KX enough that I would not upgrade to a different body solely for improved video.

Video is something rapidly turning into the same thing as the megapixel war, then liveview. Definitely not necessary for most people interested in a DSLR. I think most people would rather see other still camera functions improved before the video mode is improved.
06-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Internetpilot Quote
Video is something rapidly turning into the same thing as the megapixel war, then liveview. Definitely not necessary for most people interested in a DSLR.
I think you're right about video not being of interest to most people who are interested in a DSLR. However...(see my reply below)

QuoteQuote:
I think most people would rather see other still camera functions improved before the video mode is improved.
Here's where I think you're wrong. I think most people DO want video on their still cameras. But I say that because I believe that most people want P&S cameras...not DSLRs. To me, that says that the development dollars might well go to video, instead of other features for DSLRs.
06-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #60
Inactive Account

the go pro helmet cam certainly has it's uses- I will probably test one out fairly soon

although again no depth of field, so not really suitable for narrative shooting
but for the money (and size, and 60 fps, and waterproof), it's awesome- combine this with a kx or a gh1 and you're laughing

i think i might be sold
screw canon