Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How long will you wait for improved Video?
I've already left for improved Video with another brand. 22.20%
Until the end of 2010. 55.49%
Until the end of 2011.   00%
If I leave Pentax, it will be for other reasons. 2224.18%
I have no plans of leaving. 6268.13%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #76
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Even though still photography is my primary love
Earlier when you were saying that digital stills and video were the same thing, as were 35mm stills and motion picture, I was going to mention that I had looked at your gallery and I know you know better than that. You're too good a still photographer to truly believe that statement. OK, yes the process to render an image is the same but not the objective. Just as there is no way you could tell the story of "Gone With The Wind" in one single photo, no amount of video (in my ordinary opinion) could ever convey the same story as the famous depression era soup line photo. http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2008-08-02-Great_Depression_Soup_Line.jpg

QuoteQuote:
The only difference is that video scares the heck out of folks for some reason.
As I mentioned before, I realize that from a marketing perspective, Pentax has to include video to remain competitive. What scares me is, when I have to replace my K10D sometime in the future, having to pay extra for something I don't want or need. But then 40 years ago when I bought my Spottie II, I fully expected to outlive that camera (I still have it). Now at my age, there's always the chance my K10 will outlive me and I won't have to worry about paying extra.

CW

06-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
If you "probably have more need for it than folks who 'need' faster auto-focus so that they can take better pics of their kids" I am somewhat astonished. If you had followed the many (too many, I think) discussions about AF perfromance, you would have noticed, that mainly people want improved AF (including myself), whose primary concern are not their kids (photographically, that is), but other demanding applications, like sports, vehicles, animals etc.

You should be aware, that there sure is a professional demand for DSLR-video AND that there is a professional demand for high AF-performance.
Yes, I completely recognize that there is a professional demand for better AF and FF in Pentax cameras. Those folks do need it to remain competitive. But most of us don't really need some of these features...we just want them. I place myself in the "want" category, btw. Even though I have been waiting close to 30 years to be able to use my specialized Pentax gear to enhance my video shoots, if I'm never able to use them, it's still not going to make a difference in whether I continue to receive a paycheck or not. It would just be really, really nice to be able to hook a video camera up to my macro lenses or my bellows or my long lenses or my Pentax primes, ya know?
06-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Earlier when you were saying that digital stills and video were the same thing, as were 35mm stills and motion picture, I was going to mention that I had looked at your gallery and I know you know better than that. You're too good a still photographer to truly believe that statement. OK, yes the process to render an image is the same but not the objective.
Right...I'm talking about the media being the same...not the thought process or objective. 35mm film is just movie film wound onto little cannisters, but it's still basically movie film. That's all I'm saying about digital and video being the same thing. Digital photgraphy is a very high quality video signal that's recorded one frame at a time. Even though I would love to have better video capabilities on my DSLR, there is a point beyond which the added convenience would not be worth the trade-offs. For instance, I would NOT want a DSLR that was significantly larger than my K10d just so that XLR audio inputs could be included.
Thanks for the kind words about my gallery. For what it's worth, I have an album that is made up of video still frames that were taken from some of the stories I've shot. There's no masterpieces in there, but it does show that video and still photography don't have to be that far apart.
06-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #79
Inactive Account

it has been said before that adding video attracts consumers, which increases profits, and means more can be spent on R&D, yeah I agree R&D money is probably being focussed on video right now, but in time pentax will build a stronger customer base and be a stronger company because of it- giving them more money to reinvest
and we all know pentax needs all the

if video really concerns you that much, then just don't upgrade- the k7 is really all the camera anyone could ever really need for stills anyway, and if you disagree with that- then I think you should go cannikon. People are constantly complaining about AF speed, high iso noise, and full frame- well canon and nikon both offer those, so why don't you just jump

I personally get by with all manual focus lenses, 1fps capture, super noisy iso 800 images
pentax is the 'artistic' brand- if you shoot sports don't complain that 5fps isn't enough, go to canon, pentax isnt the brand for you IMO

and where will all these purist photographers go to? Pretty sure there aren't any major players that aren't investing in video other than leica- and while you're not paying for video with leica, you're certainly paying for the name

06-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
pentax is the 'artistic' brand- if you shoot sports don't complain that 5fps isn't enough, go to canon, pentax isnt the brand for you IMO
5fps used to be the gold standard for motor driven cameras for decades in the film aera. It should suffice today even for sports - otherwise video "is your friend" (no, I don't mean you personally, Clark)

Ben
06-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #81
Veteran Member

honestly, I dont need video. I mean it's a nice extra feature on a dslr but most likely people would do photography rather than videography. a camcorder would still be the best video solution as of yet, although I have to say that the variety of great lenses that can be used for effects is nothing to be ignored. it is great but unstable due to the limitations of the present dslrs as of the moment. picture quality and effect, the dslr's lenses are the bread and butter of the Pentax dslrs. for size, performance and stability, the camcorders are unbeatable.

if you are only going to use the camera for candid family events, the camcorder is more than enough to suit your needs. especially if your audience doesn't really pay attention to the effects.

but if your family wants to see some really nice videography work or use the camera for professional reasons more often times, then the dslr will come in handy.

there are several departments that the dslr video features need to work on. motion blur, video flow, sensor overheating, manual and automatic exposure adjustments, unwanted noise, and AF which in some cameras work with some special zoom lenses.
06-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #82
JHD
Veteran Member

According to this poll, there doesn't seem to be much interest in video as most people who would be interested in that sort of thing have enough sense to buy a dedicated tool. Makes me wonder... how many people who have a certain camcorder whine about its still quality?

This thread comes across like the ultra maroon who buys a station wagon and then complains it doesn't have the cargo capacity of a van.
06-15-2010, 04:18 AM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
This thread comes across like the ultra maroon who buys a station wagon and then complains it doesn't have the cargo capacity of a van.
Really? I don't remember anyone on here saying they bought a Pentax for it's video capability.

06-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #84
Forum Member

i would rather use a dedicated camcorder or a fliphd
06-18-2010, 02:12 AM   #85
Veteran Member

I will wait until 2012, if they don't add an orange juice squeezer to K-7 successor I will return to film cameras.
:selfbomb:
06-18-2010, 02:51 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Reality is video is here to stay.

Debate, argue and name call all you want but it's just a fact of DSLR life now, many love it others hate it (for no good reason)
06-18-2010, 06:04 AM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Reality is video is here to stay.

Debate, argue and name call all you want but it's just a fact of DSLR life now, many love it others hate it (for no good reason)
Yep...ready or not, here it comes. I was on a shoot yesterday and our intern kept going behind me, shooting little clips with her cellphone and posting them online. That's the future, folks. Hmm...actually, since this intern was already doing it, I guess it's the present, right?
06-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Yep...ready or not, here it comes. I was on a shoot yesterday and our intern kept going behind me, shooting little clips with her cellphone and posting them online. That's the future, folks. Hmm...actually, since this intern was already doing it, I guess it's the present, right?

Great. More grainy, blurry, poorly done video to be added to the You Tube wasteland.
06-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DanWeso Quote
Great. More grainy, blurry, poorly done video to be added to the You Tube wasteland.
As opposed to the crap-with-high-production-values that passes for television?
06-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
As opposed to the crap-with-high-production-values that passes for television?
Well... Just this month I had my cable TV provider come and pull the plug. I'm just not willing to pay for that crap anymore. If I want quality, then I'll buy or rent a blu-ray.