Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How long will you wait for improved Video?
I've already left for improved Video with another brand. 22.20%
Until the end of 2010. 55.49%
Until the end of 2011.   00%
If I leave Pentax, it will be for other reasons. 2224.18%
I have no plans of leaving. 6268.13%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2010, 05:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How long will you wait for improved Video?

Video performance seems to be one area where Pentax owners want to see improvement. How about you?

This survey is not about predicting where the market is heading and how Pentax should respond. This is about you as a photographer and where you are heading. If you care to post a reply, tell us about the photos and videos that you take and why you think you need or don't need improved Video.

Also, tell us what specifically you'd like to see in terms of improved Video, either by comparing to other cameras or discussing specific features.

Thanks for playing!

06-08-2010, 05:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Even though on another thread, I wished for improved video capabilities on future Pentax DSLRs, the truth is that Pentax will have to completely close shop before I bail on them. I've got too much invested in lenses to switch now. If Pentax bails on the DSLR market, but Samsung keeps producing K-mount cameras, I'll become a Samsung fanboy. However...if Nikon/Canon/Sony/Olympus came out with a bridge camera that featured tremendous video capabilities, but the trade-off was having a fixed zoom lens, that camera might well be my next purchase.
06-08-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
John, after seeing all these poll-threads or threats I am left with asking: Why? Do you have a private war fighting against Pentax? If you have a reason, tell us so - may be I come to understand these polls.

But for now, all your polls are asking for the next best reason to leave Pentax. Nothing constructive, just asking the same question in dfifferent disguises. Your next polls could be: How long will you wait for a Pentax Top-DSLR with AA-batteries? How long will you wait for a Pentax DSLR with coffee-cooking capabilities? etc..

Ben
06-08-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

How long would you wait until you realized a $300 HD camcorder is better at video than a $800 DSLR?

Jason

06-08-2010, 06:46 AM   #5

Video-Schmideo!!!

If I wanted video I would buy a camcorder or a P&S. Although I appreciate what camera companies are trying to do by combining the technologies, I would MUCH prefer that they offer professional cameras w/o these capabilities (and costing less!!) for those of us who have no desire to participate in that realm. Though I doubt they could produce it, I would far prefer Pentax produce a K8p AND a K8v. the "p"rofessional version and the "v"ideo version for those interested. Or maybe just call it a KV???
06-08-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
Banned

Video is well below the noise in my choice of camera. I'll buy a little flip camcorder to get video. I bought a DSLR to get photographs, not play MTV..
06-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
John, after seeing all these poll-threads or threats I am left with asking: Why? Do you have a private war fighting against Pentax? If you have a reason, tell us so - may be I come to understand these polls.

But for now, all your polls are asking for the next best reason to leave Pentax. Nothing constructive, just asking the same question in dfifferent disguises. Your next polls could be: How long will you wait for a Pentax Top-DSLR with AA-batteries? How long will you wait for a Pentax DSLR with coffee-cooking capabilities? etc..

Ben
No malice intended at all, Ben. Sorry that you took it that way. The idea for this series of surveys came from all the chatter about forum members demanding feature A or feature B and suggesting that Pentax is doomed if they don't follow-through. But sometimes loud, persistent voices skew the reality of people's needs. So I wanted to try to quantify these issues, at least within the context of our little group. If anything, the results to date show that Pentax has a large group of loyal owners with no plans of going anywhere.

If the language of the question is a little provocative, sorry, but so be it. I've tried to make the options fair and balanced. Where I to do it again, I may adjust the language slightly, but the precedent has been set, and I feel the need to continue the language as is so as to leave open the possibility of comparing the results of these polls.

06-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually I think the one choice that is missing from this poll is:

I don't care about video on my DSLR.

I would have voted for that over my no plans for leaving vote.
06-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Actually I think the one choice that is missing from this poll is:

I don't care about video on my DSLR.

I would have voted for that over my no plans for leaving vote.
I do care that it has it (so that I don't also have to also own a crappy P&S...err, another quality pentax product?).

BUT, I do agree that would have also been a valid choice because (like you!) there are many owners that just don't care to have or want video with the dslr.
06-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Video is a bonus to me. The video on my Kx is more than adequate. And yet another option could have been, "I find the video on my dlsr just fine", I would have voted that.
06-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
How long would you wait until you realized a $300 HD camcorder is better at video than a $800 DSLR?

Jason
I disagree. If that is true, then why should we own a DSLR at all because a P&S is just as good? HD video from a DSLR is far better than that from a tiny-sensor camcorder, for all the same reasons that a DSLR is better than a P&S such as DOF, high-iso, etc. etc. The only way a $300 camcorder is "better" is because it can autofocus while recording.

I chuckle at the comments about not wanting video in DSLR's, "not needing it, not caring about it, if I wanted video I would buy a video camera," etc. etc. It reminds me of the similar comments that some people were making during the peak of the transition from film SLR's to DSLR's.
06-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
No malice intended at all, Ben. Sorry that you took it that way. The idea for this series of surveys came from all the chatter about forum members demanding feature A or feature B and suggesting that Pentax is doomed if they don't follow-through. But sometimes loud, persistent voices skew the reality of people's needs. So I wanted to try to quantify these issues, at least within the context of our little group. If anything, the results to date show that Pentax has a large group of loyal owners with no plans of going anywhere.

If the language of the question is a little provocative, sorry, but so be it. I've tried to make the options fair and balanced. Where I to do it again, I may adjust the language slightly, but the precedent has been set, and I feel the need to continue the language as is so as to leave open the possibility of comparing the results of these polls.
John, may be my post was also a bit too touchy... At least now I understand, why you do that. Nevertheless I think, in all these polls the simple positive answering possibilities are absent and I'ld really wish for choices indicated by pxpaul or blackcloudbrew, like "I don't care about video" or "the Pentax video is just fine for my needs", which would really be needed to give a complete picture.

Ben
06-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I'm not leaving Pentax. Why is it that people have a desire for an item that is designed to do one thing extremely well do something else also. I want my camera designed for one purpose. I want it to be capable of better photographs than my poor talent allows so that I know what I'm getting is the best I can get. I don't want my DSLR to be a video camera, a Barbie Doll size laptop with 47 million aps, able to make phone calls or have a built in defibrillator! I want it to take photographs. Period.

CW

Last edited by straightshooter; 06-08-2010 at 03:16 PM.
06-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I voted that same as last time...

I have no plans of leaving. And I'll answer the same for the next one, "How long will you wait for improved auto focus?"
06-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
...The idea for this series of surveys came from all the chatter about forum members demanding feature A or feature B and suggesting that Pentax is doomed if they don't follow-through. But sometimes loud, persistent voices skew the reality of people's needs. So I wanted to try to quantify these issues, at least within the context of our little group. If anything, the results to date show that Pentax has a large group of loyal owners with no plans of going anywhere.

John,

Poll results are easily skewed by improperly conducted polls. See National Council for Public Polls. In particular, your series of polls suffers from the following flaws at the very least:
1. Unscientific - the person self volunteer to participate
2. Questions must be fair, must not be or seem biased
3. Poll language should not sway the answers
4. There should be a balanced set of choices for answers
You may feel there is the possibility of comparing results, but realize you are comparing flawed results. Any conclusion you derive at are best unreliable, at worst meaningless.