Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #1

SR Went Crazy

Hey Guys,

I've been lurking here for the better part of 8 months now. Picked up a k-x for xmas and while I don't get to use it as often as I'd like, I really do think its a great camera. This past weekend I pulled it out and got a memory card error with the Transcend 16 GB card I've been using for months. Was not able to get it to recognize the card, even though it reads fine in my gf's canon P&S and my laptop. So I grabbed her Transcend 4GB card and it seemed to work OK for a minute before totally locking up. Soon thereafter the camera went completely nuts, with what I can only assume is the SR system shaking violently back and forth for about 10 seconds (similar to sensor cleaning but with more IMPACT) before I yanked the batteries. Mind you I am not one of the people unfamiliar with what the SR system sounds like during operation. This physically shook the camera in my hand. Before anyone yells at me, I was using fully charged Eneloops and my Firmware is up to date. The camera seems to work fine now, though it still won't read my card. I am obviously displeased that a lightly used 6 month old product is refusing SD cards and trying to destroy itself. Anyone have any similar experience / wisdom?

06-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
my k20d's sr broke. Just added blur to everything when on... they replaced the guts of the camera. so obviously its possible for things to go wrong.

id keep an eye on it!
06-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only wisdom I can offer is to suggest sending it in for service. It isn't unreasonable for something to go wrong with electronics but I understand your frustration. A trip to the Pentax service center should get your camera returned good as (if not better) new.

06-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

No similar experience (yet).

I can't see any likely connection between the SR issue and the SD card issue, but they probably share the same cause.

Does the problem recur with a different set of batteries? If you turn off SR, does the SD card read fine? If you use a new Sandisk card, do you get any problems at all? If you reset all the camera settings to default, via the menu, does that make any difference?

06-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
None of the above has proven effective in getting the camera to recognize my card, yet it works in every other device I try. New cards function fine. I noticed quite a bit of wear on the contact pads of the card in question. Could my repeated removal and installation cycles (MAYBE 24 total) of the card into the camera have damaged the contacts so that it no longer make a proper connection? No one has had this happen?
06-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Engi_Nerd Quote
None of the above has proven effective in getting the camera to recognize my card, yet it works in every other device I try. New cards function fine. I noticed quite a bit of wear on the contact pads of the card in question. Could my repeated removal and installation cycles (MAYBE 24 total) of the card into the camera have damaged the contacts so that it no longer make a proper connection? No one has had this happen?
One method or suggestion will get your K-x to work with your SD card, send it to Pentax . It's 6 months old, I presume has a warranty. Get your monies worth out of it. The turn around time when sending it in can be as quick as two weeks.

With a problem such as that I would never fill great about the dSLR. I would always think there is a problem waiting to materialize and ruin the camera.

Serious why not let the most highly skilled techs you can deal with in regards to your K-x have a look at it. In a few weeks or so you will be

BTW I have been using some of my SanDisk SD cards for years with no problem. As all my cameras used them except my old Kodak DC5000 that used a CF card. And its 10 years old card is still working. The only problem I have ever had is the lock tab on the SD card coming off, never a contact problem in any device and with cards 2 or more years old.

Point?.... I don't think you put enough wear on the card to cause and problems, its time to send it in as I said before...