Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #1

K20D Image Crooked

Hi Guys
Newboy to the foums.
I have had my K20D for over a year now and during that time I have noticed that the image is often crooked. The 'horizon' is dropping down on the left of the pictures. I have tried correcting this in the viewfinder but the image does look to be crooked to the eye then although often correct on the image when processed. Not sure if this is me or the camera. I must say I have not had this trouble before in 30 years + of photography. Is this a problem anyone has mentioned before?

Attached Images

06-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This was a common problem with K10d's (mine definitely had the problem - for the longest time I thought it was me!). It could be something skewed in the mirror box, much worse (but not likely) would be sensor misalignment. You can test this by setting the camera on a surface you know is level (or use a tripod with a level) and see if the image taken comes out straight.

I don't know if that is a warranty issue, or something that could be fixed on your own (I am sure others will chime in).

Since it does dip to the right, there is a small possibility it is you pressing the shutter that is causing the dip. Do you pull the trigger or squeeze, so to speak? That is, does your whole hand move down when you take a shot, or do you squeeze the shutter button? the former will induce a dip in the image, the latter will keep it level.
06-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My K100D and K20D dip to the right, but not as much as that example. The horizon leveling tool in Elements gets a lot of work out...

I was excited to hear the K-7 (and hopefully a future body I might buy) has a auto-leveling feature, only to find out it is not reliable, either. They need to have a viewfinder indicator or line that is user-adjustable to set some fake alignment horizon.
06-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you want to test this, shoot using a tripod and remote shutter release or self-timer. And line the line shot using the markings etched into the viewfinder. Otherwise, it's simply impossible to know how straight you are really holding that camera, and if you are tilting it as you hit the shutter button.

if the problem is reproducible when shooting on tripod with timer and carefully lining up using the etches lines, then it's the camera. If the problem goes away when you do this, it's you.

06-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the info....

Hi
Great to see replys so quickly. Thank you all.
Hope that it isn't the camera (K10 problems) so I'll check out the ideas with the tripod and level, suppose it could be the shutter but I did use it's film predesesor (Z1) which is very similar (and also a brilliant camera in my view hence the K20 purchase) used without this problem for 5 years. Suppose the other possibility is the position of the viewer details/readouts, perhaps they are causing me to scew the camera at the last moment when checking the data? Anyone else aware of this?
I have contacted the UK service agents today and they say that they are not aware of an ongoing problem, however if it is the camera it could be the viewer out of line.
I'll try the tests and let you know at the weekend.

Pete.
06-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My K10 leans to the left, and it has done from nearly new.

I find the FastStone editor is the quickest and easiest for ripping through a bunch of pictures and correcting leaning horizons.
06-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Ive been having that issue to with my K-7 however I found it was dude to my focus screen been slightly crooked (ie not sitting in place perfectly)

06-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
If it turns out not to be technique issue at the time of taking, you always have the piece of mind of being able to adjust in PP.
06-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This was definitely an issue with the K10's out there. Several reported it (including Rice High, of course). This was a thread that might apply: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/45786-how-can-i-de...0d-camera.html.
06-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Ive been having that issue to with my K-7 however I found it was dude to my focus screen been slightly crooked (ie not sitting in place perfectly)
This has me thinking...
Are you sure that's what it was?
To my knowledge, the focusing screen has no impact on image orientation...
Worst case scenario, you would see the crop lines(of the screen itself) coming into the picture. But... this alone would take a really big offset in terms of alignment that would most likely not allow you to even latch the retaining bracket into place.

I think..
06-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If the focus screen is crooked, then the lnes etched into the viewfinder will be crooked, and this may cause you to mistakenly tilt the camera in an effort to make your horizontals and verticals line up with those crooked etched lines.
06-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #12
Forum Member

A simple trick to test is to take a picture with the camera of the camera itself in a mirror. If the bottom of the camera is at an angle then the sensor must be at an angle. I used this technique to verify if it was me holding the camera tilted or that it was the image sensor. It appeared it was me holding the camera at an angle. Somehow i have 'lost' my proper sense of the horizon and that shows on my pictures if I don't use the electronic level of my K-7.
06-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If the focus screen is crooked, then the lnes etched into the viewfinder will be crooked, and this may cause you to mistakenly tilt the camera in an effort to make your horizontals and verticals line up with those crooked etched lines.
Riiiiight, right, right, rightrightright... that makes plenty of sense .
My screen's don't have lines, but... I can see how this could happen with those that did.

PS. I purchased a pack of hotshoe bubbles a few years back, it's funny how we take things for granted sometimes. I guess I use it quite bit when I'm doing landscape etc.
06-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:

PS. I purchased a pack of hotshoe bubbles a few years back, it's funny how we take things for granted sometimes. I guess I use it quite bit when I'm doing landscape etc.
Well, let's hope your hotshoe is level to make it work.
06-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
But you could easily see that. I've installed my screen incorrectly. You can clearly see that the brackets on screen do not align with the edges of frame. BUT.
The metallic spring/frame holding the screen is of thin metal and could be bent with screen installed at extremely wrong angle.