Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2007, 04:59 AM   #46
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
I really don't understand the obession with having a FF sensor.
bigger sensor = better low light capability and dynamic range :-)

That's why I'd want it at least...

08-08-2007, 05:29 AM   #47
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,309
Original Poster
Actually is is...

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Ben says "them".

I think it's a new pair of Pentax branded sunglasses. Or maybe a new theodolite (they make them you know). Pentax boxer shorts?
Ok..Ok...I'm coming out of the closet..It is a new pair of Pentax Panty Hose..They have decided to diversify and I will be used as their pilot branding exercise. So I want everyone here to back me up and wear the new Pentax Brand..and you heard it here first...Dah Dah Dah Dah

"PantyTax" fine and sleek panty hose for those in the know. I expect RH to do a major critique on his impressions of their performance. Mine are Lavender by the way...
08-08-2007, 06:24 AM   #48
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 70
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Hope to see you in Paris October 6 & 7, 2007 at the "Salon de la Photos"...Not too early in the morning as I can't speak before 11:00 AM..Need at least 2 cups of coffee.
Ben - I'd love to make it but I've already done enough traveling for the year - and I've got a few more trips planned too... One day I'll make it over to Paris though - I'm looking forward to hearing how the show goes - it should be blast for all who can make it.
08-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #49
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,309
Original Poster
?

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
bigger sensor = better low light capability and dynamic range :-)

That's why I'd want it at least...
Did I ever say a camera? There are new lenses I haven't yet received etc etc etc...

08-08-2007, 10:15 AM   #50
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Did I ever say a camera? There are new lenses I haven't yet received etc etc etc...
There's the pentax jacket, pentax hat, etc. that goes w/ the pentax camera strap. I just realized that these don't exist yet, but they do exist for Nikon/Canon!
08-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #51
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Oregon Coast
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 101
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
As I was away in Cyprus for three weeks acting as a Consulting Creative Director for a product I will tell you all about shortly, I didn't. I am meeting the Pentax Rep tomorrow to discuss the lenses, the Photo Show, my expo at that show and other stuff. They have put aside the 16-50 for me and didn't mention the 50-135 yet. I will probably get it with the other stuff I mentioned earlier.

Gah, that 50-135 is the lens of my dreams (theoretically, at least)!! It will be great to have that focal length back again in a nice lens.
08-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #52
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,294
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
DA*55/1.4 & DA35/2(?) I guess? Those two would be something that you can actually use for your work and consequently Pentax should give them to you.
Well, that is part of the deductive reasoning. Only part. There is way more coming. It is just a PITA to have to wait.

Stephen
08-08-2007, 03:30 PM   #53
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 49
Ben, you have piqued my interest!

I am shooting a lot more commercial and headshot photography now, and can probably justify the price of almost anything if it gives me noticeably better results. I could even dump all my istD and K10D bodies and go to a couple of Canon 5D bodies for their full-frame sensors. The only problem is I LOVE my Pentax bodies and my lenses, and I would love to have a reason to stay with them professionally. Please give me some HOPE, my friend!

Well, there is one other reason ...

My shooting partner asked me to pick up her 5D at the sick camera hospital yesterday and I couldn't resist a quick snap on the way home. She had on the HUGE Canon 85mm f1.2 L lens, and I had my K10D with the 77mm 1.8. I shot the sign on a building across the street and then zoomed in for a comparison. The first thing I noticed is that the stupid Canon does not zoom in very far. It doesn't say how far, but I think it is only 8X or 10X which makes it hard to compare in detail. The other problem is that the Canon missed the focus entirely. At 2.8, it was totally out of focus while at 2.8, my 77mm was tack-sharp (even at 20X zoom,) even though both cameras were on autofocus and both gave me a focus confirmation light.

To my aging eyes, I just could not see the difference between the shots, at least on the LCD. If I could compare two RAW shots on a computer, maybe.

I handed her her camera, said, "Nice camera," and left her to this big bulky thing that I STILL haven't figured out something as simple as how to turn the stupid thing on and off yet. Plus, when we shoot together, the client has NEVER asked about cameras or about differences in sensors or resolution. As far as the client is concerned, results are the only thing that counts. They couldn't care less about the make of the camera, the focal length of the lens or that the Pentax may not be full-frame; all they care about is that the results from both of us are what they need.

Sorry Canon, but unless Pentax does something really stupid and hangs us pros out to dry, I am sticking with my K10D.

08-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #54
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
QuoteOriginally posted by Chickenhawk Quote
My shooting partner asked me to pick up her 5D at the sick camera hospital yesterday and I couldn't resist a quick snap on the way home. She had on the HUGE Canon 85mm f1.2 L lens, and I had my K10D with the 77mm 1.8. I shot the sign on a building across the street
It would have been really interesting to try both on a person. The 85/1.2 is supposedly a fantastic portrait lens (the FA*85/1.4 also was but Pentax no longer makes it...grrrr).
And if the 5D were in the camera hospital, would the autofocus system have been why it was in there? I haven't heard of many autofocus complaints w/ Canons except for the 1DmkIII which seems to have as many problems as a new car design ;-)
08-08-2007, 05:25 PM   #55
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,330
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
"PantyTax" fine and sleek panty hose for those in the know. I expect RH to do a major critique on his impressions of their performance. Mine are Lavender by the way...
Nah, RH would only pick holes in them....
08-08-2007, 05:29 PM   #56
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,330
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Did I ever say a camera? There are new lenses I haven't yet received etc etc etc...
Well you have posted thsi in the "Pentax DSLR Discussion", not the "Pentax SLR Lens Discussion"...
08-08-2007, 06:39 PM   #57
Veteran Member
Tom Lusk's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 972
To quote the OP...

"cut the crap, Ben".
08-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #58
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 296
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Nah, RH would only pick holes in them....
Yeah. Good one, Arpe.
08-08-2007, 08:20 PM   #59
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 49
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
It would have been really interesting to try both on a person. The 85/1.2 is supposedly a fantastic portrait lens (the FA*85/1.4 also was but Pentax no longer makes it...grrrr).
And if the 5D were in the camera hospital, would the autofocus system have been why it was in there? I haven't heard of many autofocus complaints w/ Canons except for the 1DmkIII which seems to have as many problems as a new car design ;-)
Nope, it was just plain operator error somehow. I don't know how; I just pointed them both at the wall, checked f-stop (2.8) and shutter speed (1/1500) were the same on both - which is REALLY hard to read on the 5D by the way - and pushed the shutter once I got focus confirmation. Focus speed was about the same, but they are two different lenses anyway so it would be hard to compare the bodies.

I suppose I could have read a manual but I am so used to Pentax and Macs that I have a hard time wanting to open a manual just to learn basic stuff - like how to turn it on and off.

The sensor was in getting cleaned so it had nothing to do with autofocus, and as far as I know, Canon autofocus problems are confined to the 1DS Mark III models in continuous shooting mode, where a percentage of shots are out of focus. (It must be pointed out that this camera is designed for high-speed sports activities among others, and it shoots more in-focus shots on their worst day than the K10D could even fire off in total in continuous focus. The K10D is not great for sports - but then that's not what I use it for.)

As for that sweet 85mm 1.2 L lens, based on all my years of photography with 35mm, medium format and now digital I have stated several times that the 77mm Pentax is probably the best portrait lens made by anyone at any price. I stick by my words.

The Canon 5D is an amazing camera, and it was probably about the only one I would have traded my K10D system in for ... at least up until now. For MY style of shooting, I am realizing it would offer me no noticeable improvement in the shots I need for my work, and would be more frustrating to learn because it is so unintuitive.

Plus, there is that old adage that says: "Amateurs worry about the equipment. Professionals worry about the money. Masters worry about the light."

Besides, it's not about the technology; it's about how the technology lets us further explore the limits of our imaginations. A true master of the craft can take amazing pictures with a pinhole camera ... but doesn't.

(Of course, it may take me many more years to master the craft - especially when I can't even figure out how to turn the stupid canon on and off ...)
08-09-2007, 02:56 AM   #60
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,309
Original Poster
Pardon?

QuoteOriginally posted by Chickenhawk Quote
Ben, you have piqued my interest!

I am shooting a lot more commercial and headshot photography now, and can probably justify the price of almost anything if it gives me noticeably better results. I could even dump all my istD and K10D bodies and go to a couple of Canon 5D bodies for their full-frame sensors. The only problem is I LOVE my Pentax bodies and my lenses, and I would love to have a reason to stay with them professionally. Please give me some HOPE, my friend!

Well, there is one other reason ...

My shooting partner asked me to pick up her 5D at the sick camera hospital yesterday and I couldn't resist a quick snap on the way home. She had on the HUGE Canon 85mm f1.2 L lens, and I had my K10D with the 77mm 1.8. I shot the sign on a building across the street and then zoomed in for a comparison. The first thing I noticed is that the stupid Canon does not zoom in very far. It doesn't say how far, but I think it is only 8X or 10X which makes it hard to compare in detail. The other problem is that the Canon missed the focus entirely. At 2.8, it was totally out of focus while at 2.8, my 77mm was tack-sharp (even at 20X zoom,) even though both cameras were on autofocus and both gave me a focus confirmation light.

To my aging eyes, I just could not see the difference between the shots, at least on the LCD. If I could compare two RAW shots on a computer, maybe.

I handed her her camera, said, "Nice camera," and left her to this big bulky thing that I STILL haven't figured out something as simple as how to turn the stupid thing on and off yet. Plus, when we shoot together, the client has NEVER asked about cameras or about differences in sensors or resolution. As far as the client is concerned, results are the only thing that counts. They couldn't care less about the make of the camera, the focal length of the lens or that the Pentax may not be full-frame; all they care about is that the results from both of us are what they need.

Sorry Canon, but unless Pentax does something really stupid and hangs us pros out to dry, I am sticking with my K10D.
Look..All of the Pro shoots I have done since January of 2007 have been with the K10D. There will be new gear coming out in the future, that you know will be the case. Now if you feel that your gear is not up to scratch, that is your issue. However, the fact that my stuff is coming out very well in print in magazine support as well as billboards is enough to satisfy my criteria. I really doubt that if you took an image with a 5D and a K10D and put them in a magazine you could tell the difference except for color tonality perhaps.

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 02-07-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macro Bee-ing Busy Bramela Post Your Photos! 11 04-15-2010 07:33 PM
Slide Copy-ing jonhock Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 6 01-19-2010 09:29 PM
Today's saling (as in garage sale-ing) Sew-Classic Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 20 08-23-2009 04:38 PM
First time photo-ing a wedding (my cousin's) Morbo Post Your Photos! 14 06-16-2008 04:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:50 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top