Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2007, 02:18 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Ben --
May be a dumb question, but do you have all the lenses that you need for your business and what lenses would you like to have from Pentax? Since I shoot a lot of wildlife I would jump all over a 400mm f4.5 DA* if it were available.

08-07-2007, 02:51 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Ben did you get your DA*16-50/2,8 & DA*50-135/2,8 ???
Are you satisfied with them or not ???
08-07-2007, 02:59 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm curious about the "does Ben have all the lenses he wants" question as well.
What I want is the FA*85/1.4, FA*80-200/2.8, FA*300/2.8, and the 1.7x teleconvertor but they're not made any more (though they're still listed on Pentax's web site). I'd be jumping up and down if Pentax made these again so we don't have to kill each other hunting them on fleabay :-)

That said, I'm looking forward to what Ben does w/ the 645D or whatever the K1D will be (I'm hoping 1.1x sensor like the rumored Sony one but I doubt it given Pentax's push towards DA lenses...if not that sensor, hopefully something w/ a lot more dynamic range and high iso capability)...
08-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Not Yet

QuoteOriginally posted by JAZZer Quote
Ben did you get your DA*16-50/2,8 & DA*50-135/2,8 ???
Are you satisfied with them or not ???
As I was away in Cyprus for three weeks acting as a Consulting Creative Director for a product I will tell you all about shortly, I didn't. I am meeting the Pentax Rep tomorrow to discuss the lenses, the Photo Show, my expo at that show and other stuff. They have put aside the 16-50 for me and didn't mention the 50-135 yet. I will probably get it with the other stuff I mentioned earlier.

08-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Never long

QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
Ben --
May be a dumb question, but do you have all the lenses that you need for your business and what lenses would you like to have from Pentax? Since I shoot a lot of wildlife I would jump all over a 400mm f4.5 DA* if it were available.
I never shoot over 85 to 100mm and that is too long for me. I use the Pentax Macro for product stuff on occassion but stick to between 12 and 70mm generally.

Ben
08-07-2007, 03:07 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Promise

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I'm curious about the "does Ben have all the lenses he wants" question as well.
What I want is the FA*85/1.4, FA*80-200/2.8, FA*300/2.8, and the 1.7x teleconvertor but they're not made any more (though they're still listed on Pentax's web site). I'd be jumping up and down if Pentax made these again so we don't have to kill each other hunting them on fleabay :-)

That said, I'm looking forward to what Ben does w/ the 645D or whatever the K1D will be (I'm hoping 1.1x sensor like the rumored Sony one but I doubt it given Pentax's push towards DA lenses...if not that sensor, hopefully something w/ a lot more dynamic range and high iso capability)...
I am sure you will all hear about the new stuff before I get it physically..
08-07-2007, 05:28 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ben says "them".

I think it's a new pair of Pentax branded sunglasses. Or maybe a new theodolite (they make them you know). Pentax boxer shorts?

08-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #38

Ben

I have 2 K10Ds and 43, 77mm, 21mm

I have on order a 16-50
08-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax will set the world on fire. The not f...ing around will be 2 new lenses. Pentax always likes to do something different ( look at the 10-17 fisheye zoom) so they will introduce a lens that has never been done before. By anyone. A 15-20 TILT & SHIFT ZOOM LENS. Followed by a 35-70 TILT & SHIFT ZOOM LENS with close focusing. These will be the last lenses Benjikan ever needs for a non 645 dslr!
thanks
barondla
a guy can dream.
08-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #40
Veteran Member

DA*55/1.4 & DA35/2(?) I guess? Those two would be something that you can actually use for your work and consequently Pentax should give them to you.
08-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #41
Forum Member

How about a full-frame 35mm (or nearly so) body with the same 10 Mpix and 2 stops more dynamic range than the K10D? No or minimal anti-aliasing filter for best sharpness. Build quality to match but not exceed the K10D (which in my opinion is more than adequate for the target market) and a price of USD 2K? Oh, and a nice, big viewfinder too. No real improvements in the JPEG engine necessary, as it would be a RAW shooter's machine, mostly. In short, something to really use the 31mm Limited with at its proper angle of view. That would be something I'd lay the bucks down for.
08-07-2007, 07:01 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I really don't understand the obession with having a FF sensor. If it's, say, for a different format entirely, fine... but I doubt they're going to go 35mm FF and screw everyone who bought into the new system. (why even bother making DA* lenses for the small sensor if they were going to go FF)

maybe a Canon or a Nikon could get away with that - but Pentax needs to keep the customers it has, and make new ones.

If it's going to be a new sensor size, my guess would be the 645D.
08-07-2007, 10:21 PM   #43
Inactive Account

I know what I would like to see. Pentax literature. My father has been searching in vain for a booklet that tells him about all the lenses and accessories available for his K10D.

The other brands have product literature. Any idea when Pentax will make them again? In the old days, we would get these with our camera. May haps this is what Ben is talking about. j/k
08-07-2007, 11:36 PM   #44

Thanks Ben!!

Ben, you make up for much of the negativity on this forum we see from time to time, bring it on!.

My K10D and gear never ceased to amaze and test my capabilities, and I believe that Pentax will survive, and continue to bring new and exciting products to market.

Since I purchased my K10D in November 2006, I have taken some of my best work in 50 years of photography, and I attribute much of this to the camera and quality lenses that we have available.

Keep up the good work, and keep us dreaming... I am a happy Pentaxian.

Phil
08-08-2007, 04:22 AM   #45
Forum Member

I'm not obsessed with FF sensors, I'd just like to use the great 31mm Limited at the semi-wide angle it was originally intended to be, as a 35mm focal length lens (on film) for me was "standard". I have not run across a better lens in this focal length other than the Zeiss ZM or Leica lenses. It's that good. If they "spend" the additional sensor surface area on dynamic range (bigger photosites) rather than more resolution (which the K10D has enough of, I suspect due to its weak anti-aliasing filter) then that would be the correct design decision, in my opinion. I could see this as a viable alternative to film medium format, and it is probably a smarter decision than dumping money into the 645D, whose market Canon is probably going to subsume within the next few years. Pentax cannot afford an expensive failure - and whether they like it or not, the vast majority of the pro market will not buy Pentax. So they need to bring to market cameras that represent excellent value for serious amateurs, for the most part. They hit the mark with the K10D (I bought one, and discovered that Pentax makes some of the best primes around), and could do so again with a more rarified but still important higher-end serious amateur/semi-pro market. But not going head-to-head with the big boys on frame rate and other things that, frankly, are mostly bragging rights. They need to make different design decisions to hit their intended market. That market is certainly not the market for the 645D with its obviously higher price tag (~$8K? - what semi-pro can justify that when excellent results up to quite large print sizes are obtainable with the K10D?)