Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
Forum Member

sensor life K10d

Could anybody tell me what the estimated lifespan of the K10d sensor is? I ask this because I have had my k10d for over 2 years now and my recent images don't appear to be as clean as images taken when I first got the camera.

06-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Could you explain 'what you see' why are they not as clean. More camera noise, general IQ not as good. A couple pics showing the problem would greatly help. However I think we can solve your problem in just a few posts.
06-09-2010, 01:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwao Quote
Could anybody tell me what the estimated lifespan of the K10d sensor is? I ask this because I have had my k10d for over 2 years now and my recent images don't appear to be as clean as images taken when I first got the camera.
Are you comparing your pictures to pictures from newer cameras?
06-09-2010, 06:51 AM   #4

Uhhh alohadave, he tells us that he is comparing them to pictures previously taken with the same camera.
OP--are you using the same post processing software and methods?

06-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I must say that my wife's K10D had no Green-Magenta gradient when it was bought in 2008 May. And in 2009 it had no gradient too. Now - it has very visible GM-Gradient at iso 1600. It is even lighter than on my cam built in 2007.
Check examples here ????????. 2009 babes. ~ ???????? ???? ???????-???????

Also K10D suffers from some sort of large heat spots when doing very long exposures (like 8 mins)
... | ????? ???????
(on top (slightly left from center), and left-top + right-top which are not noticable on BW version)
06-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can you post sample pictures of then versus now - same scene, same lighting, same lens, same white balance, same exposure, same camera settings, same PP workflow? If not, then I'd wager one or more of those other variables is responsible for whatever difference you might be seeing between any two completely different images.

That is to say, a sensor might eventually fail completely, or develop a bunch of dead pixels or some other particular artifacts, but it's extremely unlikely to somehow just gradually get slightly less good.
06-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Can you post sample pictures of then versus now - same scene, same lighting, same lens, same white balance, same exposure, same camera settings, same PP workflow? If not, then I'd wager one or more of those other variables is responsible for whatever difference you might be seeing between any two completely different images.

That is to say, a sensor might eventually fail completely, or develop a bunch of dead pixels or some other particular artifacts, but it's extremely unlikely to somehow just gradually get slightly less good.
Thanks for all the replies. It seems I have yet again asked another silly question
You are probably correct when you say the difference in noise is coming from other factors.

I was looking through my images taken over the past 2 years and comparing iso 100 raw files taken at similar exposures in similar conditions. I noticed that images taken now appear to be noisier than images taken then. So I thought I would ask the question REGARDING THE LIFESPAN OF THE SENSOR but perhaps the shutter is more likely to fail before the sensor.

I will have to buy another body sometime especially now that the new cameras handle noise so much better than the K10d

06-10-2010, 06:01 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
You don't have to post problems here, to justify new camera purchases.

CBA is just another form of LBA, enjoy.
06-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You may want to use a wet cleaning solution if you have never cleaned the sensor. Small oily particles build up overtime on everything, and I don't see why a sensor would be any different.
06-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
Banned

Photos: Albums
3 years, 15000+ shots, no issues - better results now, in fact.
06-11-2010, 04:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

No idea but yes they do degrade, my *ist D is far noisier than it was when new, and yes I have the test shots to confirm. The following utility is an oldie but still a great diag tool:

Dead Pixel Test
06-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
3 years, 15000+ shots, no issues - better results now, in fact.
Yes, same here.
06-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
No idea but yes they do degrade, my *ist D is far noisier than it was when new, and yes I have the test shots to confirm.
Could you post these? I'd certainly be curious to see them, since it really doesn't seem plausible and in any case is *not* the common state of affairs (thousands upon thousands of other DSLR's that don't degrade over time).

QuoteQuote:
The following utility is an oldie but still a great diag tool:

Dead Pixel Test
Of course, if you're simply saying your *istD has more dead pixels than it used to, that's not news. Pixels do die. But they shouldn't slowly degrade.
06-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Could you post these? I'd certainly be curious to see them, since it really doesn't seem plausible and in any case is *not* the common state of affairs (thousands upon thousands of other DSLR's that don't degrade over time).
They do, it's just masked in camera or in RAW development. The *ist D can save as TIFF (IE less error due to jpg compression) and doesn't mask hot pixels.

Of course, if you're simply saying your *istD has more dead pixels than it used to, that's not news. Pixels do die. But they shouldn't slowly degrade.
I see

http://deneb.ensc.sfu.ca/papers/ei08.pdf
06-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

First sensor in ist-D was replaced w/ a less hot pixally sensor (after 2 years pixels increased) but had more "high iso noise"... The sensor is now degrading again (hot pixels increasing). Noise is not changing AFAIKT.
Remember this is a Sony CCD... CMOS and other sensors will be different.
As to other factors (dye breakdown of the Bayer filter, circuit trace degradation, I'm sure it can and does occur..