Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2010, 04:16 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
problems using automatic exposure kx

I was unsure how to expose a photo I wanted to take the other morning. I decide to use the P setting to get an idea of how to expose. I was intending to use a tripod but still used the P to get an idea of exposure and shutter speed. The first picture here is on the P setting. It took the pic on 1/160 f14 800iso -3 ex comp. I can't understand why it would take at these settings. I then took the second shot at 1/30 f13 iso1600 ooex. Which was ok. I later took again using the bracketing. A friend had a point and shoot digital which she merely hand held and got a pretty good shot, just using her automatic setting. (it was a bit blurry but with a tripod would have been fine). So what on earth am I doing wrong, or is the P setting a bit fussy? Pictures are below but no idea why they are titles and not pics. Arrrggggh

Last edited by trishytee; 06-09-2010 at 04:24 AM. Reason: lost the pics
06-09-2010, 04:22 AM   #2

Original Poster
pictures lost from post about exposure on P

Attachment 64055

Attachment 64056
06-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

You shouldn't have the -3 ev. You must have accidentally hit something.

Upload your photos to your album here. ("Manage Account"..."Edit Albums" to the top right here.)

Open the image in your album to full size, right click, and select "Copy Image Address."

In your post, type [IMG] and paste the image address, and then type [/IMG]

It usually helps to have two browser windows open at the same time.
06-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
I was unsure how to expose a photo I wanted to take the other morning. I decide to use the P setting to get an idea of how to expose. I was intending to use a tripod but still used the P to get an idea of exposure and shutter speed. The first picture here is on the P setting. It took the pic on 1/160 f14 800iso -3 ex comp. I can't understand why it would take at these settings. I then took the second shot at 1/30 f13 iso1600 ooex. Which was ok. I later took again using the bracketing. A friend had a point and shoot digital which she merely hand held and got a pretty good shot, just using her automatic setting. (it was a bit blurry but with a tripod would have been fine). So what on earth am I doing wrong, or is the P setting a bit fussy? Pictures are below but no idea why they are titles and not pics. Arrrggggh
The relatively slow shutter and small aperture suggest the P mode is biased toward depth of field. If the K-x is like the K20D, you can go into the custom settings, pretty far down, for the "Program Line" setting. There may be options for bias toward fast shutter, MTF, depth of field, etc.

The - EV should not be an automatic thing. The camera should just adjust one of the other settings instead, unless the "auto EV if the camera can't figure out the exposure" setting is set to yes.

06-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I can't see your attachments, but I'm not sure what you're complaining about. You dialed in -3 EV compensation and presumably got a dark picture. Isn't that exactly what you asked for? Surely any P&S camera would behave the same if you dialed in -3 EV on it as well? If not, then it would be horribly overexposed without dialing in the compensation.
06-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #6

I'd guess you hit the Av+/- button by mistake, and then dialed in -3 Ev compensation, thinking you were adjusting the aper, shutter combination.

With the green button configured as in the camera reset condition...

In P mode, the edial will change the aper/shutter combination. A push of the green button will reset the camera to the computed aperature, shutter combination.

In P mode, if you push the Av+/- button, the edial will change the exposure compensation. If you push the Av+/- button again, the edial will revert to the aper/shutter combination. If you push the green button (while adjusting the exposure compenstion with the edial), the aper/shutter combo goes back to the computed aper/shutter, and the exposure compensation will be reset to zero.

Try it on your Kx!
06-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Ira and leadfoot. I just had a fiddle and seems I must have done just that. How I did not notice that I don't know. Still at least I know the answer. Gee Marc not like you to be snippity. Hav enot had a problem loading pics on before this but will have a look at suggestions here. As long as I don't get asked for my 'url' as I haveno idea what that is. Thanks all.
06-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Sorry, didn't mean to come off "snippity". I was just honestly confused; it hadn't occurred to me that you might not have *meant* to dial in the exposure compensation, since you went out of your way to mention that you had used it.

A URL is something like "http://www.blahblahblah.com/foldername/filename" - the thing your browser shows you at the top of the screen when looking at a web page.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-11-2010 at 08:07 AM.
06-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #9

Original Poster
All is forgiven, Marc. I actually thought the camera had done it "It took the pic on 1/160 f14 800iso -3 ex comp". I think I should not take photos on my way home from a night shift as I think my brain was already in sleep mode.